DS Beat-Em-Ups

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JD!

DS Beat-Em-Ups

Post by JD! » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:44 am

Can anyone recommend some good side-scrolling beat-'em-ups for the DS? I've looked but can;t find many at all.

Thanks in advance.

c0nfu53d

Re: DS Beat-Em-Ups

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:35 am

To be honest, I'm not sure there are any good ones. Tokyo Beat Down is the only one i've played and it was horrible. The website is below for more info but I wouldn't waste my cash on this.

http://www.atlus.com/tokyobeatdown/

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:53 am

Batman The Brave and the Bold is supposed to be pretty good, just quite short. But you can pick it up quite cheap at the moment.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:12 am

There's also Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Arcade Attack....again, not a very good game though. :(
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:14 am

ToxieDogg wrote:There's also Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Arcade Attack....again, not a very good game though. :(
no...no it isnt
i think i returned it with in half an hour
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:18 am

wasnt there a spiider man scrolling beat em up? spider man 2 movie tie in I think, played it ages ago but cant recall much of it so cant be that memorable....or rely on the GBA Slot and track down Final Fight....or if you have the means emulate a SNES or Megadrive and be in scrolling beat em up heaven.
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:32 am

Is it just me, but isn't the d-pad on the DSi the worst thing ever for these types of games?
In fact, most DS games that rely on any diagonal input via the d-pad are terrible.
I was playing Centipede the other day and it was almost impossible to control with any sense of accuracy (I know you can use the stylus).

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:17 pm

stvd wrote:Is it just me, but isn't the d-pad on the DSi the worst thing ever for these types of games?
In fact, most DS games that rely on any diagonal input via the d-pad are terrible.
I was playing Centipede the other day and it was almost impossible to control with any sense of accuracy (I know you can use the stylus).
You should try playing a 1 on 1 fighter on the PSP. The d-pad on sonys machice beats the living silicone out of the DS in the bad d-pad department.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:30 pm

Star Wars Episode III is worth a go, might be hard to find now though.

TheSpeedOfSex

Post by TheSpeedOfSex » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:32 pm

There aren't many good ones. From what I remember Viewtiful Joe was an OK game and the same goes for Spiderman. But I wouldn't call them great games. They need a Double Dragon or Vendetta or Final Fight or Little Fighter for the DS.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:06 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:
stvd wrote:Is it just me, but isn't the d-pad on the DSi the worst thing ever for these types of games?
You should try playing a 1 on 1 fighter on the PSP. The d-pad on sonys machice beats the living silicone out of the DS in the bad d-pad department.
Sorry, I'm 'c0nfu53d' :) are you saying the PSP's dpad is worse than the DS?
I have to say it's 10 times better than the DS effort IMO.
I was playing Mario & Luigi - Partners in Time tonight and the movement (without actually forcing it) is just L,R,U,D.
Luckily, the majority of stuff I usually play is using the stylus.

JD!

Post by JD! » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:23 pm

pratty wrote:Batman The Brave and the Bold is supposed to be pretty good, just quite short. But you can pick it up quite cheap at the moment.
I do have that and it is fun but, as you say, short. Iron Man 2 is the best one I've come across, it's great fun.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:38 am

stvd wrote:
c0nfu53d wrote:
Sorry, I'm 'c0nfu53d' :) are you saying the PSP's dpad is worse than the DS?
I have to say it's 10 times better than the DS effort IMO.
I was playing Mario & Luigi - Partners in Time tonight and the movement (without actually forcing it) is just L,R,U,D.
Luckily, the majority of stuff I usually play is using the stylus.
Yeah, I don't hate the DSi D-pad but it's a far cry from the PSP 2000/3000 D-pad which was actually really nice to use. The DSi D-pad gives me thumb cramps if used for too long, try playing Geometry Wars Galaxies of XG Blast on it for more than 10 minutes and see what you thumb feels like.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:19 am

c0nfu53d wrote:You should try playing a 1 on 1 fighter on the PSP. The d-pad on sonys machice beats the living silicone out of the DS in the bad d-pad department.
But at least the PSP has:
Tekken Dark Resurrection & 6
SoulCalibur Broken Destiny
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
King of Fighters Collection (not the best conversions, but still playable enough)
MK Unchained

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:19 pm

alistair_thomas wrote:Star Wars Episode III is worth a go, might be hard to find now though.
Didn't realise there's a DS version, played it on the GBA and its quite likeable.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.