Do you collect failed game systems?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

will2097

Re: Do you collect failed game systems?

Post by will2097 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:26 am

Hmmm. Actually I do, largely by accident. I don't count the PSP or Saturn as failed consoles. They were pretty strong second places right? Compared to:

- 3DO.
- Atari Jaguar.
- Sega 32x.

Which are my favourite three consoles. (I have a big PS1 collection too, but obviously...)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:32 am

saturn was third place actually
behind the n64

i like the 32 x mostly for what it could have been not what it is
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:08 am

Well I have an Amstrad GX4000 and an Amiga CD32 which were both seen as failures although the CD32 did at least pass 100 games for it. Now I might be getting an Atari Jaguar if the price is right. Sometimes i'm not sure why I pick up these systems...

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:56 am

I have a few:

Philips CD-i - I worked at Game when I was younger and we had one of these on display next to the counter so we played on it alot. Those good memories of it made me pick one up just over a year ago and I have to say I really like the machine and think it has far better games than people give it credit for.

Atari Jaguar - Always been a big fan of Atari machines and bought one new from Telegames in 1993 and still have it now. This machine gets so much unwarranted abuse, its just a shame it was never the success it deserved to be back in the day as the tech in it was superb at the time.

Mega-CD - Was never the success Sega expected it to be and there is alot of FMV junk on this machine and slight updates of cart games. Out of the rest of the games there are a few that make it worth owning like Final Fight, Slipheed, Batman Returns and Robo Aleste.

There are a few other that people call failures but arn't really like the Saturn which actually sold very strongly for a while before the PS1 took over, the Lynx which sold close to 5 million units and outsold the Game Gear in much of Europe, the 7800 which outsold the Master System by close to 2:1 in the US and I also have a Jag CD but that comes under the Jaguar really.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:38 am

Collect? No. Buy when Hardware and software can be had at bargain price and be amazed at what the systems had to offer (before selling on once done), Yes.

Owned a Vectrex for a while, loverly machine-sadly needed cash, so sold, same for my entire Lynx collection.

Picked up a Saturn soon after 32-Bit era was in twlight years.Amazed by the 3D the media had been proclaiming it could'nt handle.

Must admit the N-gage i owned though, was purely bought as a curio.

davekam

Post by davekam » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:16 pm

I have a cd-I which is pretty terrible, I also have a dreamcast, but those are the only failed systems I have.

Evander

Post by Evander » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:10 pm

I enthusiastically won a bidding war for a Quickshot Supervision last year, so my answer would have to be yes.

C16

Post by C16 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:51 pm

If you count the Commodore 16/+4 as failed, then yes I do too.

Judoscar

Post by Judoscar » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:35 am

I have Dreamcast and a Saturn which failed miserably. Saturn was a mess, and had its 'lifespan' cut short, and the Dreamcast was obviously a failure in financial and sales terms.

I suppose it depends on the criteria of what a failure is - DC sold some 10 or 12 million as I recall, but in relative terms it was a flop sales wise, failed to capture any real market share, had possibly the worst sponsorship deal ever conceived, and forced SEGA to retire from the hardware market .... on the other hand, it has 2 or 3 of my fav games of all time.

Similarly the Gamecube was Nintendo's worst performing home console (although still turned a profit), but remains my favourite Nintendo console, and the one I have most affections for, even above the hallowed SNES.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:01 am

I have myself the consoles mentioned but would certainly say the GX4000 takes pride of place in the collection in terms of 'failure'.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Evander wrote:I enthusiastically won a bidding war for a Quickshot Supervision last year, so my answer would have to be yes.
Good one :D
If you want more games for it, look out for one called Kabi-Island - it's like Bomberman only using Pac-Man characters.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

TheBoingoBandit

Post by TheBoingoBandit » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:34 pm

thevulture wrote:Must admit the N-gage i owned though, was purely bought as a curio.

The original where you had to hold the phone sideways against your head to make a call and look a nit (plus remove the battery to change games) or the slightly improved second edition?

Did anyone buy the awful Gizmodo?

Evander

Post by Evander » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:54 pm

I suppose the Gizmondo must have seemed pretty naff in it's day put I picked one up a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised. Then again it did come with a card full of games, music videos and emulators.

It does feel very well made all the same.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Oh yeah, forgot about the Gizmondo. Got one off eBay for around £20 last year, and've bought a fair few games for it since. SSX3 is alright on it, and TrailBlazer is fantastic - possibly one of my Top 50 Games Ever. Haven't looked into emulators for it yet though.

I also got a Tapwave Zodiac some time ago, but have never been able to use it due to not having the USB cable for it (which charges the battery as well).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:03 pm

I try not to, but it largely depends on what you call failed. The closest for me would be the Saturn, but it wasn't a failure due to it's commercial success in Japan.

Things like Jaguar, Lynx, 32X, MCD, 3DO, CDi etc, not for me. Just don't see the appeal, most of them are crap systems from my own experience with very poor libraries. But fair do's to people who like that sort of stuff, I mean someone's got to collect them I guess.