Fav boxing and tennis games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Farzlepot

Re: Fav boxing and tennis games?

Post by Farzlepot » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:20 pm

Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast hasn't been beaten yet, in my mind.

Though, I did enjoy the Table Tennis game on Kinect Sports when I had a go. Seemed fairly responsive.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:07 pm

slacey1070 wrote:For me, Frank Bruno on the c64 seemed to be about luck, rather than skill - C&VG did a big piece on that when it came out.
Its a memory/reaction test. Every opponent has specific tells for their big moves and all of the punches are blockable/avoidable if you time it right.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:43 pm

club wrote:Boxing - Hajime no Ippo on the GBA was superb. Might prefer it to the Punch-Out series.
Never played the GBA version (will seek it out!) but my favourite boxing games of all time are the Western PS2 releases of the Ippo games, Victorious Boxers 1 & 2, both brilliantly playable games that take an inventive, momentum-centred approach to boxing. The 1-player feels more like Super Punch Out with each opponent taking different techniques to take 'em out, the 2-player is sublime, once the controls have been mastered by both players, they both really are excellent games that I cannot praise highly enough (plus, you can get the first for about a quid from CEX). Only problem I have with the first game is that the later characters are incredibly overpowered in 2P mode, so both players are best off using similarly-powered boxers rather than aiming for a David V. Goliath type of match-up, cos David will *never* win.

Second to them is the mighty Super Punch Out on SNES, I'm definitely grabbing the Wii version when I see it cheap enough.

I actually like boxing games, but found the Fight Night, Rocky, Ready 2 Rumble etc. games incredibly repetitious, once you work out easy ways to destroy your opponents, it tends to work all the way through so you're left just grinding your way to the end rather than being kept on your toes.

As for tennis games, probably Super Tennis on SNES and Tennis Cup 1 & 2 on Amiga.

the_retro_bear

Post by the_retro_bear » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Virtua Tennis on the DC

Bit of a bizzare one this one - World Championship Boxing Manager on the Amiga. You didn't actually fight and provided strategy and corner assistance between rounds. Used to love that game

Bringing Past To Present at http://www.retrosection.com

On YouTube - watch my lame gamesplaying at : http://www.youtube.com/TheRetroBear

notoriety

Post by notoriety » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:25 pm

Never liked boxing games. For tennis, I'd have to say Mario Tennis on the Virtual Boy. Yeah, I was that guy with the lines on his face and the thousand pixel stare from playing too long.

club

Post by club » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 pm

JazzFunk wrote:
club wrote:Boxing - Hajime no Ippo on the GBA was superb. Might prefer it to the Punch-Out series.
Never played the GBA version (will seek it out!) but my favourite boxing games of all time are the Western PS2 releases of the Ippo games, Victorious Boxers 1 & 2, both brilliantly playable games that take an inventive, momentum-centred approach to boxing. The 1-player feels more like Super Punch Out with each opponent taking different techniques to take 'em out, the 2-player is sublime, once the controls have been mastered by both players, they both really are excellent games that I cannot praise highly enough (plus, you can get the first for about a quid from CEX). Only problem I have with the first game is that the later characters are incredibly overpowered in 2P mode, so both players are best off using similarly-powered boxers rather than aiming for a David V. Goliath type of match-up, cos David will *never* win.

Second to them is the mighty Super Punch Out on SNES, I'm definitely grabbing the Wii version when I see it cheap enough.

I actually like boxing games, but found the Fight Night, Rocky, Ready 2 Rumble etc. games incredibly repetitious, once you work out easy ways to destroy your opponents, it tends to work all the way through so you're left just grinding your way to the end rather than being kept on your toes.

As for tennis games, probably Super Tennis on SNES and Tennis Cup 1 & 2 on Amiga.
DEFINITELY going to have to check those out - sounds a lot like the GBA ones. Were the PS2 versions developed by Treasure?

On the subject of Wii Punch-Out, I picked up a copy for £7 from WH Smiths about a month ago. It's fun but lacks the charm of Super Punch-Out (like most SNES stuff, my fave of the series).

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:28 pm

^The PS2 versions weren't done by Treasure, think it was just the GBA version - also remembered there was a recent Wii version of it (though it looks completely different to the PS2 one, it has an almost 1st person 3rd person type of viewpoint, if you get my drift). I've got to buy that as well, I totally forgot that got released.

Anyway, glad I'm selling this to you, it really is an incredibly underrated game. At the time it was released, people were more into the 'next gen' PS2 update of Knockout Kings (which was a pretty bad game, lazy and totally symptomatic of 'an early PS2 game') and didn't want to bother with some unknown anime boxing game. It's a pity, 'cos the actual feel of boxing, the sense of dodging and physical contact, was done so much better in Victorious Boxers and it was also a very elegant, polished, classy game, it still looks kind of great nowadays because of how smooth it is and how well done the sound fx and graphics are (simple, smooth, shiny), plus Ippo's story is totally engaging and you really root for the guy.

Like I said, buy it for a quid, spread the word, it's like Christianity (but totally more excellenter and less damaging to mankind in general). :wink: :D

EDIT: A nice review of it by some American gaming guy who totally gets the point (bar the bit where he says it doesn't look as good as Knockout Kings 2001...):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNcrhL7g ... re=related

club

Post by club » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:11 am

Ok, this surprised me as I was expecting something akin to the GBA version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5agxewF-N7w - however it looks pretty neat. The Ippo series has some really good character designs, and it does look really fluid. I don't have a UK PS2, but I don't imagine finding a Japanese copy will prove too difficult :wink:

thl

Post by thl » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Starting with boxing:

Punch-Out (NES)
Rocky (SMS)
Super Punch-Out (SNES)

And moving on to tennis:

Smash Tennis (SNES)
Super Tennis (SNES)
Tennis (GB)
Virtua Tennis 1 & 2 (DC)

TheSpeedOfSex

Post by TheSpeedOfSex » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:57 pm

I don't know about Tennis games but I really like that table tennis game on miniclip.
http://www.miniclip.com/games/table-tennis/en/

As for Boxing, Mocap Boxing.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Barry McGuigans Boxing on the Speccy. Plus it was 2 player which is a bonus.

And yes Boxing Manager (by Goliath) was a great game , very similar in style to Goliath's Tracksuit Manager. Punch Out! in the arcade was always fun. One of those memorable sounds from the 80s arcade was the attract music , as well as the 'Knock him out!' comment by the in-game commentator (anybody else remember the arcade sounds of the 80s? Ahhhh, nostalgia)

For Tennis , Super Tennis on the SNES was a simple but great game , as is Virtua Tennis (but not it's sequel!) on the DC. I'll also throw another up in the air with Passing Shot , a great with a (largely) overhead viewpoint of the game - and a great advert from the mags of the time (well for a tennage boy it was anyway!)
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Boxing
Muhammad Ali's - Megadrive
Boxing Manager- Amiga/Atari ST

Tennis
International 3d Tennis- c64
Pro Tennis Simulator- Atari ST
Monkey Ball Tennis- PS2
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

C0ward

Post by C0ward » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:04 am

Pete Sampras Tennis (MD)
Virtua Tennis (DC)

I liked the Rocky Legends game on the Xbox at the time, also FNR 3 and 4 on the 360.

Cauterize

Post by Cauterize » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:06 am

Farzlepot wrote:Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast hasn't been beaten yet, in my mind.
Of course it hasn't, considering there is an unlockable frying pan racket it's a tough one to better.

Evander

Post by Evander » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:56 pm

I picked up "David Crane's Amazing Tennis" for the SNES recently, about 18 years after I first saw it.

It's tricky but offers a kind of 3rd person view. Quite playable really.