R-Type - Amstrad CPC Remake!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

joefish

Re: R-Type - Amstrad CPC Remake!

Post by joefish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:34 pm

storm_maker wrote:This is probably an extremely amateurish question, but with Fluff, and Prehistorik 2, when they do colour transitions why doesn't it muck up the entire background instead of just being limited to one area? does the GX4000 have a far background layer which matches the border colour like the Mega Drive does?
Dunno what you mean by 'muck up the entire background'. You're not forced to use any one particular colour index for the background - it might be colour 0, it might be colour 15, or any in-between. If you re-define that particular colour index on the raster interrupt, only things drawn in that index change.

I remember doing multi bitplane parallax scrolling on the ST, where I'd arrange the layers so that when they combined, index 0 was the darkest of the foreground colours, since whatever you assigned to ink 0 ended up as the border colour as well. The actual sky in the background would end up as colour index 3 or 7 or something, and I'd apply the raster colour changes to that so they didn't spread into the border. Not all ST games that used rasters were that tidy. Most of them that did parallax did it badly, too.

andyc

Post by andyc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:14 pm

TMR wrote:
All 16 hardware sprites on a single scanline apparently (according to the docs i found at CPCWiki) so same as the C64 can do with it's eight rather than limited like the MSX or NES.
Indeed. You can even repeat a sprite on the same scanline if you time the multiplexing right.

andyc

Post by andyc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:23 pm

joefish wrote:The CPC+ can do a perfectly good 4-colour screen in a decent resolution (that screenshot of Monument is a very impressive use of four colours); rasterised palette switching is not a problem; and the sprites have their own shared palette of 15 colours. So you could mix software sprites in the scenery colours with hardware sprites in their own palette all still at 320x200 resolution. It strikes me as sheer bloody-mindedness to choose low-resolution when that capability is open to you.
With the higher range of colours available on the plus, it's much easier to blend colours to help overcome the relative low resolution. It's a matter of personal choice, of course, but generally I've found that well drawn graphics at 160*200 work better than using high-res ones in a more limited range of colours.
storm_maker wrote:Nobody answered about the magnification yet, if that's designated per sprite they could also use it for big shmup end of level bosses without having to make them up with hoards of sprites (albeit they'd be uber low resolution), you could maybe also use it for things like huge crushers in platform games.
Sprite magnification (x1,x2,x4) in each direction can be set on a per-sprite basis, so you're free to use them however you desire.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:13 am

I'm really not qualified to make a judgement, but looking at some of the info, I tend to think that the GX4000 gets some unfair hate to be honest (the hardware, not the game library, that does suck), I mean, Mode 1 + one palette change where the ground starts and 16 sprites (8 used for characters 8 for overlays) gives you 2D games with 23 odd colours and hi resolution, which should be at least comparable to a 2D Atari ST game (and it would have a better framerate and scrolling most of the time too).

Retrogamer says in their article that Robocop 2 shows the systems power when a game is developed for it, but if Robocop 2 was developed for the ground up on GX4000 why is there a huge status bar? looking at Pang, another game which is supposed to show the power of the system according to some gaming mags of the time, it has really unoptimised colour use as far as I can see, I mean, GX4000 has a palette of nearly 5000 colours so why does everything in that game look so dingy?

Retrogamer - "It didn't take long to realise that the GX4000 was not as good as the NES or Master System, nor did it represent an essential upgrade from the Spectrum, C64 or CPC"

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:19 am

andyc wrote: Sprite magnification (x1,x2,x4) in each direction can be set on a per-sprite basis, so you're free to use them however you desire.
Is the sprites 16 colour mode 2 by default at x1? (16x16 pixels)

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:24 am

ivarf wrote:
andyc wrote: Sprite magnification (x1,x2,x4) in each direction can be set on a per-sprite basis, so you're free to use them however you desire.
is the sprites 16 colour mode 2 by default at x1? (16x16 pixels)
The sprites aren't tied to the screen, they're always 16x16 pixels high res, if you want them to match the Mode 0 screen resolution then you can use 2x magnification which makes them double the size at the same number of pixels.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:02 pm

storm_maker wrote:
ivarf wrote:
is the sprites 16 colour mode 2 by default at x1? (16x16 pixels)
The sprites aren't tied to the screen, they're always 16x16 pixels high res, if you want them to match the Mode 0 screen resolution then you can use 2x magnification which makes them double the size at the same number of pixels.
hires as in 640x200?

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:20 pm

ivarf wrote:hires as in 640x200?
According to CPCWiki -
"All sprite characteristics are independent of the main screen mode, the unmagnified pixel size being as for screen mode 2 (640x200)."
Hadn't actually thought of that, I actually thought they were 320x200 earlier :mrgreen:

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 pm

andyc wrote:With the higher range of colours available on the plus, it's much easier to blend colours to help overcome the relative low resolution. It's a matter of personal choice, of course, but generally I've found that well drawn graphics at 160*200 work better than using high-res ones in a more limited range of colours.
If the sprites are big enough, and designed around long shapes (like the ships in a lot of C64 shoot-em-ups) I can see that fat pixels don't matter so much. But the small sprites in those Sorcery and The Apprentice screen shots earlier are just awful compared to those in Monument. I suppose some of the problem is the contrasting colours in the smaller characters because of the 27-colour palette. As you say, the CPC+ could have a more blended range of colours, like the way the Bitmap Brothers picked out their smooth palettes on the Atari ST. The other problem is in either mode you can't do round shapes very well - at least the Spectrum actually had square pixels. But I still prefer the higher resolution.

andyc

Post by andyc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:52 pm

Pixels in Mode 1 are square. And they are for HW sprites if you set them to x *2, y *1 or x*4, y *2 if you want big chunky sprites. And you can quite effectively mix high-res HW sprites with a low-res background to reasonable effect.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:03 am

They are not square. Just because your emulator renders them as such doesn't mean a thing. The aspect ratio of a 4:3 monitor does't work with a 320x200 (8:5) display with square pixels - it either has to squash it horizontally or display huge top and bottom borders.

If you draw a circle 200 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall on the monitor it's clearly not round. If you draw a 200x200 square and measure the sides they don't match up. They don't on the C64 or the ST or the Amiga. They do on the Spectrum (where 256x192 = 4:3).

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:38 am

To be sure about this, someone has to measure the x-y ratio of the imagearea of a real CPC and compare it with the resolution. According to my memory the top, bottom borders are bigger than the sideborders

TotO

Post by TotO » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Nice discussion for waiting... But... You don't miss something Friday? :P

http://cpc.rtype.fr

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:54 am

I have just had a go on it using WinAPE.

Wow, that is impressive - insanely colourful and pretty responsive overall. I found it a little on the difficult side as the screen seems to fill up a bit more than on some other versions - perhaps the sprites are a little larger in comparison with the screen than they are on, for example the C64 or SMS? Or perhaps it's just my memory.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

thereallocomaniac

Post by thereallocomaniac » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:28 pm

Just saw a video I this on YouTube and I was blown away by how good it looks.
The people behind deserve a pat on the back for all their hard work