R-Type - Amstrad CPC Remake!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TMR

Re: R-Type - Amstrad CPC Remake!

Post by TMR » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:14 pm

fano wrote:I don't see another way to do pixel scrolling than using 4 buffers except if you find a way to scroll only 1 byte (half char) with CRTC and the only way i know to scroll 1 byte is using Register 3.
Yeah, i think Paul just wants to do it so there's an example out there, that's why he might be focusing on converting the relatively small shoot 'em up i put together rather than putting huge amounts of time into a larger game. It'll be interesting to see how various models of CPC deal with it too, because it might only be a small subset of machines but we won't know until he's got something to test 'em with.
fano wrote:There are a lot of thing CPC is not supposed to be able to do
That's true of just about any 8-bit though, the fun is A) finding ways to abuse the features and B) coming up with something useful to do with those abuses! =-)

Xyphoe

Post by Xyphoe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:31 pm

New teaser preview vid online!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6njo6B1V8Gw

Approximately 10 days to go till it's released!!! Woop!

Official website and lots of cool details here! -> http://cpc.rtype.fr
ImageImage

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:26 pm

Can't you talk to your people about doing something for GX4000, I want to see just what it was really capable of, and there's virtually no examples of games which were actually designed for it out there, virtually everything is just a half assed 464 port with minor additions, and there doesn't seem to be much homebrew on the horizon.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:10 am

To echo storm_maker's sentiments, it'd sure be great if a CPC+/GX4000 enhanced version of this already fine looking R-Type remake were to be in the pipeline. Has there been any news to that effect?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:56 am

What format are they releasing this in? Download only? I can't seem to see where you will eventually be able to get this.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:13 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:To echo storm_maker's sentiments, it'd sure be great if a CPC+/GX4000 enhanced version of this already fine looking R-Type remake were to be in the pipeline. Has there been any news to that effect?
I'd be more interested if something was built from the ground up for GX4000, I mean the Master System did a decent version of R-Type, and that was fullscreen, and on paper the GX4000 hardware looks considerably better than Master System in all areas except resolution (what the hell is up with that terrible resolution?! I know they wanted compatibility, but couldn't they have thrown an extra mode in there?).

I'd imagine a GX4000 R-Type should be more akin to the Atari ST version, but in low resolution (though I guess they could overlay unneeded high resolution sprites on the background to give more detail)

And anyway, GX4000 may be better suited to trying a methodical style platform game with only moderate sprite requirements than attempting a busy shooter such as R-Type.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:42 am

I think the intention was to do a conversion that did the Amstrad justice after so long, rather than to do a complete ground up build. There are many ports that could definitely benefit from this sort of treatment. I'm just glad someone is skilled and committed enough to do it at all.

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:24 am

storm_maker wrote:on paper the GX4000 hardware looks considerably better than Master System in all areas except resolution (what the hell is up with that terrible resolution?! I know they wanted compatibility, but couldn't they have thrown an extra mode in there?).
From what i understand, the same CRTC drives the CPC and CPC Plus with the new ASIC mapping it's contributions in further down the line on the latter so the resolutions remain the same (160x200x16, 320x200x4 colours and 640x200x2) but the number of colours to choose from is significantly larger. Messing with the CRTC's design would've been risky because it could well have broken something obscure but important that games using hardware features were relying on - if memory serves there's already differences between different models of CPC that prevent some of the coolest tricks to work properly across the board.

i've seen a few work-in-progress shoot 'em ups for the CPC Plus, with Wildfire being the one that seems to be making most use of the hardware at it's disposal so far.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 am

Bearing in mind that I'm not really much of a tech guy, how efficient actually is the Asic? would it run without much help from the CPU, or would the CPU be bottlenecking the whole capabilities?

Would a screen full of multiplexed sprites have been easy? with enough to use half of them to add high resolution detail and/or simple parallax to the low resolution background while still having enough left over for a game?

How about its programmable interupts? good enough for line scrolling parallax? or Mode 1 with 8 colours using a screen split?

Can the DMA stuff be used for in-game music? SFX?

So many unanswered questions :(

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 am

Just reading some of these comments and it would be great to see some games just for the GX4000. This new version of R-Type is looking pretty sweet.

andyc

Post by andyc » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:41 pm

storm_maker wrote:Bearing in mind that I'm not really much of a tech guy, how efficient actually is the Asic? would it run without much help from the CPU, or would the CPU be bottlenecking the whole capabilities?
The ASIC is just a bunch of custom logic that replaces the chips usually found in the system to do things like generate the video signal or make sounds. It doesn't really "do" anything by itself, so to speak.
storm_maker wrote: Would a screen full of multiplexed sprites have been easy? with enough to use half of them to add high resolution detail and/or simple parallax to the low resolution background while still having enough left over for a game?

How about its programmable interupts? good enough for line scrolling parallax? or Mode 1 with 8 colours using a screen split?

Can the DMA stuff be used for in-game music? SFX?
Multiplexing sprites is tricky, because while they can be repositioned on-screen quickly enough, reloading a sprite image requires a lot of CPU time (unlike say the C64 where it is just a pointer into RAM, the CPC+ stores sprite images in special hardware registers). It can definitely be used within those limitation to apply a degree of parallax though, as can be seen in Prehistorik II.

Raster interrupts can be programmed to go off on any line and that lets you do some very nice colour effects (again see the backdrops in Prehistorik II), though you're still subject to how fast the CPU can update the colour palette entries. Theoretically you could fiddle with the scrolling registers too, though I've not yet figured a way of effectively using that to produce a really fluid parallax effect (though I have some cart-only ideas).

The "DMA" sound is actually one of the more interesting features. It's not really "DMA" exactly, at least in the traditional sense, rather it is a sort of simplistic co-processor which can perform simple operations free of CPU intervention. It's pretty much limited to either writing a value to a sound chip register or causing an interrupt, but it can be used to feed sound data far faster than the CPU on it's own can do. You can certainly use it for music or sound effects though which gives more time for the CPU to do other stuff.

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:46 pm

andyc wrote:Multiplexing sprites is tricky, because while they can be repositioned on-screen quickly enough, reloading a sprite image requires a lot of CPU time (unlike say the C64 where it is just a pointer into RAM, the CPC+ stores sprite images in special hardware registers). It can definitely be used within those limitation to apply a degree of parallax though, as can be seen in Prehistorik II.
Ah, thats a shame, if I understand what you're saying correctly that would specifically affect what I was saying worse than anything else, because if you were adding details to the background with sprites I guess each object would logically take place on a line (ie the top of the screen would be over-laid clouds, midscreen would be over-laid details for background, and the floor would most likely be over-laid flowers/grass etc), so you'd have to change the sprite graphics every time you multiplexed.

I'd imagine it would be bad for background parallax for much the same reason

But for a whole screen of similar looking enemies it would be fine.

So really, we are pretty much talking about sub Master System level graphics (ie similar colour counts but in a much lower resolution). Albeit there'd be more objects on screen and no flicker, but I don't think that would really offset the early 80s level screen resolution :(
andyc wrote:You can certainly use it for music or sound effects though which gives more time for the CPU to do other stuff.
So you could have sample style music in-game, such as the intro music for Prehistorik 2 but during gameplay?

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:21 am

storm_maker wrote: So really, we are pretty much talking about sub Master System level graphics (ie similar colour counts but in a much lower resolution). Albeit there'd be more objects on screen and no flicker, but I don't think that would really offset the early 80s level screen resolution :(
But it looks quite nice when done with care,

here are some ingame shots of games on the standard Amstrad CPC

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:40 am

storm_maker wrote:So really, we are pretty much talking about sub Master System level graphics (ie similar colour counts but in a much lower resolution). Albeit there'd be more objects on screen and no flicker, but I don't think that would really offset the early 80s level screen resolution :(
Dunno why people keep repeating this. The CPC+ can do a perfectly good 4-colour screen in a decent resolution (that screenshot of Monument is a very impressive use of four colours); rasterised palette switching is not a problem; and the sprites have their own shared palette of 15 colours. So you could mix software sprites in the scenery colours with hardware sprites in their own palette all still at 320x200 resolution. It strikes me as sheer bloody-mindedness to choose low-resolution when that capability is open to you.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Fantastic remake! Well done to all at 'Easter Egg'!

Smooth scrolling, great use of colour and best of all music and sound effects at the same time!

Gotta love that 'game over' track too! :D

I'd love to see some CPC versions of titles that only made it to the Speccy and C64 such as 'Robocop 3' and 'Chase HQ 2'.