Charity Shops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Bub&Bob

Re: Charity Shops

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:50 pm

Had to buy this today!!

The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:39 pm

The head set was only a quid
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:38 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:50 pm
Had to buy this today!!

Awesome haul Bub! Even though I've already got an intellivision I'd have snapped that up too!
Have you played one before? Be interested to what you think of those games, a lot of them are two player only
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:50 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:38 pm
Bub&Bob wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:50 pm
Had to buy this today!!

Awesome haul Bub! Even though I've already got an intellivision I'd have snapped that up too!
Have you played one before? Be interested to what you think of those games, a lot of them are two player only
Hey JD, no I've never played one before - I don't have a CRT so will hook it up to the LCD but not sure how well it will work. Still, for £15 it's nice to have and all of the games have manuals and the joypad overlay's.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:45 am

Astromash is good fun with a nice scoring mechanic. Space battle may remind you of a certain 80s sci fi show and is an entertaining shooter. Night stalker and triple action are two more of my faves. Good luck!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:06 pm

I spotted one of the worse possible purchases. A copy of the budget version of C&C Red Alert for the original Playstation - with the Allies disc missing...

I didn't buy it...
Where logic won't work, I will

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:14 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:45 am
Astromash is good fun with a nice scoring mechanic. Space battle may remind you of a certain 80s sci fi show and is an entertaining shooter. Night stalker and triple action are two more of my faves. Good luck!
Quickly hooked it up earlier and doesn't seem to work.
Will have another go tomorrow but if not I guess I will have to head to eBay to sell the games :(

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:14 pm
jdanddiet wrote:
Will have another go tomorrow but if not I guess I will have to head to eBay to sell the games :(
Nothing on screen?
Are you using a CRT as they are a bit of a prig with modern TVs
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:04 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:36 pm
Bub&Bob wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:14 pm
jdanddiet wrote:
Nothing on screen?
Are you using a CRT as they are a bit of a prig with modern TVs
Yup, using a 14" CRT and nothing on screen unfortunately

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am

Weird thing is, I have had trouble with some machines on my best CRTs, why I keep a crappy CRT around as they work on that

Any flicker when its turned on?

Usually id clean the pins on the cart slot, its a tight fit on the int

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:44 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:45 am
Weird thing is, I have had trouble with some machines on my best CRTs, why I keep a crappy CRT around as they work on that

Any flicker when its turned on?

Usually id clean the pins on the cart slot, its a tight fit on the int
Zero, nothing at all :?

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:14 pm

Recently nabbed a DS Charger , GameCube power brick , GameCube car lighter lead and a Competition pro SNES pad along with a grandstand Colour Programmable console and 2 sticks for a great price. The grandstand will have to go as I don’t have the space for another console but it was worth what I paid for the leads alone.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Got these from the charity shop yesterday I was smiling like Tom Baker

"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:06 pm

Good choice, I have a full set of GC bongos for four player fun. All I need now is another three players :lol:

Do you have Jungle Beat?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DrDpad

Post by DrDpad » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:06 pm

I've had my best finds in the small non-chain charity shops. Ones that support the local community, churches etc. I find the chain charity shops nowadays put anything worthwhile online or don't know how to properly price an item. Best charity shop finds off the top of my head was an N64 console with Mario Kart 64 and 2 pads for £15, Kirby's Air Ride on the GameCube for £1.50 and not gaming but a boxed Dagobah Action Playset for around a fiver.