Charity Shops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ALK

Re: Charity Shops

Post by ALK » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:01 pm

A recent score.

PS3
Katamari Forever
Skyrim
GTA 4: Episodes From Liberty City

DS
Ace Attorney Apollo Justice
Advance Wars DS

Once again all £1.49 each.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:36 am

MadManDan79 wrote:
LonDan wrote: Worst mistake was not buying the NES Deluxe set with ROB the robot from Oxfam. Went to think about it for 10 minutes and had gone by the time I came back. It was mint condition and priced at 100 - must easily be worth triple that and so hard to come by these days.
£100? I would have ripped their arms off for that, esp if it was boxed. Saying that I also saw it boxed in cash converters about 4-5 years back for the same price and should have gambled on it as well.
I hesitated at the time because it was about 2/3 days before pay day and I was on the bones of my arse money-wise, as they say and it would have basically left me with pocket change to last me. Still, I'd have been happy enough playing Gyromite and eating cold beans :D

Interesting you mention Cash Converters, I've noticed a lot more random retro stuff coming into these places recently. Don't know whether it's just a random spike or whether it'll become a pattern.

What is frustrating (and is no-one's fault) is that their pricing is absolute guesswork and varies wildly from store to store. My local CC has international cricket on the SNES for 15 quid (unsurprisingly it's been on the shelf for 6 months) whereas one a bus ride away sold me Zelda:OOT for £2.99.

Have started haggling in the pawn shops now as if something has been on display for a while, they seem happy enough to get rid. Always ask if they've got anything in the back at CC too - they tend to have a lot of GC stuff but don't have the space to display it. A while back I asked and a nice lady said they didn't have any games but they did have 'weird discs' and did I want to have a look.

Turned out to be a massive box of loose PSP games for 30p a game :)

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:35 am

More tabletop gaming than videogames, but a friend of mine picked up 3 second-generation Warhammer 40k dreadnoughts for a tenner each in the Renfield Street Cash Converters in Glasgow yesterday. Naturally as soon as he spotted them he checked online and found they normally go at £50+ each so he quickly bought them.
Where logic won't work, I will

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:17 am

LonDan wrote:
MadManDan79 wrote:
LonDan wrote: Worst mistake was not buying the NES Deluxe set with ROB the robot from Oxfam. Went to think about it for 10 minutes and had gone by the time I came back. It was mint condition and priced at 100 - must easily be worth triple that and so hard to come by these days.
£100? I would have ripped their arms off for that, esp if it was boxed. Saying that I also saw it boxed in cash converters about 4-5 years back for the same price and should have gambled on it as well.
I hesitated at the time because it was about 2/3 days before pay day and I was on the bones of my arse money-wise, as they say and it would have basically left me with pocket change to last me. Still, I'd have been happy enough playing Gyromite and eating cold beans :D

Interesting you mention Cash Converters, I've noticed a lot more random retro stuff coming into these places recently. Don't know whether it's just a random spike or whether it'll become a pattern.

What is frustrating (and is no-one's fault) is that their pricing is absolute guesswork and varies wildly from store to store. My local CC has international cricket on the SNES for 15 quid (unsurprisingly it's been on the shelf for 6 months) whereas one a bus ride away sold me Zelda:OOT for £2.99.

Have started haggling in the pawn shops now as if something has been on display for a while, they seem happy enough to get rid. Always ask if they've got anything in the back at CC too - they tend to have a lot of GC stuff but don't have the space to display it. A while back I asked and a nice lady said they didn't have any games but they did have 'weird discs' and did I want to have a look.

Turned out to be a massive box of loose PSP games for 30p a game :)
My best hauls at cash converters are:

Boxed Sega Saturn £10
Terranigma SNES boxed and mint condition £160 (£250 - £300 on ebay)

I also picked up a boxed master system and 10 games for £40 out of another second hand shop - and realised out run 3d was one of the games (unboxed). I sold that and made a lovely little profit on it... :wink:

You would have been eating cold beans? You could have provided a nice custom sound track while you were playing it... :lol:

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:57 pm

Today, My nephew texted me to say he had seen some Dragon 32 games in a Cancer Research shop.

I went over there with the family and they were still there.

19 games (none of which were very special) priced at £3 each!

I went over to the counter and asked if they could do a better deal than £57.

She admitted that they had been there for quite some time and I was the first person to enquire about them in ages.

She said the best price she could do (as the manager wasn't there) was £40.

I said that was still to much and am planning to ring tomorrow, speak to the manager and offer £20.

My reasoning is that :-

1) I am taking a big risk that they even will work.

2) There is nothing particularly outstanding (except 'The King').

Am I being unreasonable?

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:45 pm

AceGrace wrote:Today, My nephew texted me to say he had seen some Dragon 32 games in a Cancer Research shop.
Am I being unreasonable?
Really tricky one. I would say you're not being unreasonable, but you might be verging on the side of 'a bit tight' :lol:

It's not really an issue of money this, it's more an issue of morals I think. From what you said, something approaching a halfway house seems fair - £30 for the lot. They have been there ages and you want to buy them, but remember it's charity and if you can afford to go to £30 then for the sake of a tenner, why not? You benefit from finding some rare games in the wild, and Cancer Research gets an extra few pennies in the pot.

I have only recently started to discuss prices in some of the places I go to more regularly - and thus know the staff enough that I'm comfortable to mention it. One of the local independent charity shops was pricing stuff off EBay by simply looking at what was for sale and took the BIN price - not thinking to look rather at the sold prices which obviously are significantly lower. For example, they had God of War on the PS2 for £10. I had to mention it then - since then they just do a stock price of £3.99 a game regardless of what it is, and to be fair to them, they shift a lot more than they previously did.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:46 pm

£3.99 is expensive the Charity shops around here sell PS2 GameCube, Megadrive, DS and Wii games between 20p and £1 whilst Nintendo 64, PS3 and 360 games sell for £3.99; a boxed N64 Pokemon was £10. These where the games I've seen in the last few months...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:03 pm

Shinobi wrote:£3.99 is expensive the Charity shops around here sell PS2 GameCube, Megadrive, DS and Wii games between 20p and £1 whilst Nintendo 64, PS3 and 360 games sell for £3.99; a boxed N64 Pokemon was £10. These where the games I've seen in the last few months...
You're obviously not in the middle of London like me...

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:10 am

LonDan wrote:
AceGrace wrote:Today, My nephew texted me to say he had seen some Dragon 32 games in a Cancer Research shop.
Am I being unreasonable?
Really tricky one. I would say you're not being unreasonable, but you might be verging on the side of 'a bit tight' :lol:

It's not really an issue of money this, it's more an issue of morals I think. From what you said, something approaching a halfway house seems fair - £30 for the lot. They have been there ages and you want to buy them, but remember it's charity and if you can afford to go to £30 then for the sake of a tenner, why not? You benefit from finding some rare games in the wild, and Cancer Research gets an extra few pennies in the pot.

I have only recently started to discuss prices in some of the places I go to more regularly - and thus know the staff enough that I'm comfortable to mention it. One of the local independent charity shops was pricing stuff off EBay by simply looking at what was for sale and took the BIN price - not thinking to look rather at the sold prices which obviously are significantly lower. For example, they had God of War on the PS2 for £10. I had to mention it then - since then they just do a stock price of £3.99 a game regardless of what it is, and to be fair to them, they shift a lot more than they previously did.
Yep, I am being tight. :lol:

I don't know if the games work so I wouldn't feel comfortable paying £30.

I just keep thinking "they got them for nothing, £20 is a good offer"

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:17 am

Not retro, but I just picked up Far Cry 4 for the PS4 for £5.

Charity shops round my way aren't exactly great for games, bar the usual load of old FIFA games. Maybe it's because of prices like this though, and they just go quicker than I actually see them!

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:15 pm

LAIS wrote:Not retro, but I just picked up Far Cry 4 for the PS4 for £5.

Charity shops round my way aren't exactly great for games, bar the usual load of old FIFA games. Maybe it's because of prices like this though, and they just go quicker than I actually see them!
First ever Wii U game I've found in a charity shop today - Hyrule Warriors for £2. I always wonder (apart from extreme generosity) what motivates people to donate stuff like that when it's got pretty high trade-in value still.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Lack of knowledge or interest probably, leftovers from ex partners, stuff left behind by kids who've moved on, things gifted that aren't wanted, lots of reasons. To most people, its just an old game, of no more inherent value than an old DVD of a well broadcast movie.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:09 pm

LonDan wrote:
LAIS wrote:Not retro, but I just picked up Far Cry 4 for the PS4 for £5.

First ever Wii U game I've found in a charity shop today - Hyrule Warriors for £2. I always wonder (apart from extreme generosity) what motivates people to donate stuff like that when it's got pretty high trade-in value still.
Someone not in the know or a mum punishing her child probably. But dang, well done on that find either way!
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:55 am

I spoke to the manager yesterday about the Dragon 32 games. She refused to budge on the original £57 price.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:01 am

i don't understand why they don't just list it on ebay if that's what they want to get into. it's a much more localised audience otherwise.
they did that in one of my local charity shop - were asking £5-10 for a load of MD games, a lot of which were genesis.

i went in after a couple of weeks of them being there, and they'd reduced a couple to £1 each. I asked if they were doing that with all of them and they let me have them for £1 each :D