Charity Shops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

van

Re: Charity Shops

Post by van » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:59 am

Kaptain_Von wrote:Charity shops are funny places with regard to prices. Round here, the prices in different branches of the same 'chain' can vary wildly. In the 'posh' part of town expect to pay £4 for a copy of Pro Evolution 5 whereas in other parts of town most PS2 games go for £1.50.

Even in my local area prices can vary between shops. In one shop PS1 games were going for £5 each yet I went into another and picked up a boxed and sealed PSP E1000 and 20 brand new, sealed games for £35 three weeks ago.
Same here. One shop, NES games for a dollar. Same chain, dif location, asking 20 EACH! I don't think they have any standards of pricing which I understand considering the volume and variety of stuff that comes in. But really, who thought SMB/duck hunt should be 20 is straight nuts.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:36 pm

not having much luck in crewe newcastle-under-lyme or hanley so i am looking forward to my trip back home to liverpool see if there are any in the charity shops there the problem is it's been so long the only one i can remember there being in liverpool city centre is oxfam :(
This guy are sick

BurnleyFan

Post by BurnleyFan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:47 pm

One of my local charity shops is selling some Mega Drive and Genesis games - one for £45 and the other from £8 upto the £20s.

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:22 pm

It seems like all the Computer cassette software titles have been 'purged' from the charity shop shelves now. Most shops seem to hold PSX or PS2 games now along with PC software too.
There was a time in the mid nineties when 8 bit software was out of favour and PC emulation was yet to be invented where charity shops stocked lots of these games. I remember the Oxfam shop in Winchester was pretty fruitful in selling CBM64 games in '95.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:28 pm

I scored a MEGATON in a charity shop today. I really don't know what to do with it - eBay, keep sealed or play??

Probably a good problem to have.....

steve82

Post by steve82 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:29 pm

is this the best PS1 charity shop pick ups ever?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhsGsimD5kk&feature=plcp
Last edited by steve82 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retroreviewgames

Post by retroreviewgames » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:12 pm

Charity shops in Barnsley seem to get some great Retro games stuff in. I picked up a Megadrive and a bunch of games this week for £8!

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:11 am

Picked up "The Sims 3 - Fast Lane Stuff" expansion pack still sealed and unregistered for £1.99 a few weeks back. They're still going for about a tenner today, and yes I do have the base game to play it :)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:22 pm

Did a charity shop trawl today. Saw a surprising amount of retro tbh!

If anyone is interested, there's a boxed Nintendo 64 (looks in good nick from what i can see) + extra controller and 18 (reasonable) carts for £60. I'd have bought that, if the games had been boxed. That can be found in The Salvation Army, Dudley.

Also passed an unboxed Atari 520ST in Age Concern, Blackheath for £34.99. Didn't see any games with that one.

I bought Breath of Fire III with no instructions (PSP), Dissidia 021 Final Fantasy (PSP) and Space Invaders Extreme (DS).
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:09 pm

That salvation army had the tempting MD bundle earlier in the year. Had some very good things in there over the past few years.

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Sometimes I can find something good but a lot of the time it will mostly be pretty barren on the Retro front and the games front altogether really. I need to visit more often just in case anything pops in.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:16 pm

shiftytigger wrote:That salvation army had the tempting MD bundle earlier in the year. Had some very good things in there over the past few years.
Yeah, they do get some nice bits in there. As well as that MD bundle I've seen a SNES Mario All stars boxed console, a 48k ZX Spectrum, another (loose) N64 bundle in recent times. Their prices do make me hesitate, although I did buy all the Zelda and GB stuff they had in about 18 months ago.... :wink:

They also have a black DS lite + brain training with no charger for £20 (i think). bottom screen looks a bit worse for wear, imo.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:47 am

Its mostly Game Boy lite handhelds and boxed GBA games I find in my charity shops.. The best is a shop that sells everything for £1 or a less, though I normally send the GBA on Gamecube stuff on to Nokgod 8)

Other than that loads of PS2 gamesfor £1 best being Shadow Hearts, other than that its all X Box, PS1, PS2 Sports games, Megadrive Sports games, Lose snes sports games and Street Fighter 2's.. Anothor Charity shop had 10 snes games they want £5 each some of the games where Zelda and Mario All Stars whilst othere where Fifa and ISS, needless to say I bought everything except the Sports games..

Did see a few Spectrum games for 25p last week and a Commodore 16 Fingers Malone for £2 which I bought :mrgreen:

Left behind a lot of PS1 stuff Casper, Silent Bomber, Shellshock, Tweenies, Armoured Core and numerous sports games
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:02 pm

I'd love to find some boxed GBA stuff in our locals. Even some GC stuff would be nice. Had my share of nice bargains but a lot is sale fodder to make the money to buy what i want.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:43 pm

Ahem.... not wanting to brag but last week I got the following lot from my local charity shop for €15 all together....

Super Mario Sunshine
Star Fox Adventures
Doshin the Giant
Mickey's Magical Mirror
18 Wheeler
Spyro Heroes Tail (or whatever its called)
Eternal Darkness
Mario Party 4
Bomberman Generation

All were new, factory sealed, and yes, the Ninty ones had the red tear strip. I crapped myself.