Charity Shops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

tekaotaku

Re: Charity Shops

Post by tekaotaku » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Mr.Saturn wrote:
tekaotaku wrote:
Mr.Saturn wrote:Bargaining in a charity shop. Classy.
If your attempting to say I'm tight, re-read this thread and you'll see my opinion on 'bargaining in a charity shop'....yes its for charity, but people seem to forget they are still run like a business so are governed by the same rules! But again, re-read this thread (pages 3, 4 and 5 think) instead of me going through it again here.....oh and its just me according to the wife....

I cant blame my wife for making him cry, he was with me and just started little git!
Yes, I implied you were tight. I don't think any reason you throw at me will change my initial impression.
Right, I'm tight thanks for that.....now moving on..... :roll:
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:59 am

RetroMartin wrote:I must visit the wrong charity shops, all the ones in Ealing never have any video games!
What was the name of that small computer game shop back in the 1980's down High Street next to the Broadway Shopping Mall?
Was just one of my main sources for Commodore 16 games. Bought my first C64 game "Kikstart II" there too. I used to take a good hour choosing :)

Going back to Ealing next month, for some reason my fiance wants to see where I grew up.

Glad we didn't go last week tbh :(

scunny

Post by scunny » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:23 am

so did you get it for a tenner? and out of interest, where is this scunny charity shop that you are bartering with?
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:06 am

I got Spyro 1 and 3, along with Crash Bandicoot for £1 each today from my shop.
Something I'm starting to get annoyed with is the fact that other members of staff keep repricing the stock I'm putting out. We got The Sims Double Deluxe in, fair enough, I price it at £3.50.
Yesterday, I came back to find it marked at £6, the day after I priced and put it out. The volunteers seem to think that 1 DVD == £2 no matter what it is, which just isn't the case. We've had PS1 games, PS2 games and PS3 games all out for £2 each one day, which just doesn't make sense. Luckily, the manager trusts my judgement, so she accepted that PS1 games should be £1, PS2 £2 and PS3 £4ish. The other volunteers still see me as barely and adult and are not quite ready to accept I know more about an area of stock than they do.

scunny

Post by scunny » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:42 am

one of my local charity places used to price per CD so buying a game that happens to have more than one CD would be more expensive than a single CD game. I couldnt get through to them that the number of CDs were irrelevant.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:40 am

my local BHF seems to think that ANY current gen game must be worth at least £10.00

even FIFA06 :roll:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

OldSkool

Post by OldSkool » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:30 am

I find charity shops good for finding some nice clothes, or occasionally some decent vinyl and books. But very rarely do I find anything worthwhile in the gaming section. Although I think that is more down to where I live rather than the fact that they are charity shops. I think the only decent thing I managed to find was a copy of NFL Blitz, which I actually think I took to the same charity shop about ten years ago.
Last edited by OldSkool on Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

astaroth

Post by astaroth » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:51 am

jdanddiet wrote:my local BHF seems to think that ANY current gen game must be worth at least £10.00

even FIFA06 :roll:
Isn't the next three weeks the best time to go a-hunting? We'll see who can get the best bargain from Upminster starting frooooooooom........

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:54 am

getting pretty close yeah...good hunting ast!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:11 pm

with the Game and Blockbuster offers on, it's the weird position right now that Charity Shops really are quite expensive compared to other retailers (never thought I'd type that). I still buy a lot of books and Cds from them, but games, not really.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:02 pm

scunny wrote:so did you get it for a tenner? and out of interest, where is this scunny charity shop that you are bartering with?
Nah, I went back on Tuesday and asked to have a proper full on look at it. Dragged it all out the box, terrible condition, power pack looked like it had been surgically inserted into the lung of a 100 a day smoker (and smelled like it) , no sign of any game disks or workbench, mouse was missing the ball.

All this time I've got one of the volunteers hovering over me waffling shite along the lines of "you dont see these very often, boxed and everything, compared prices online(read eBay) and we think its priced to sell" Popped it all back in the box and just offered them £10 straight up, told them about the missing software, lack of testing stickers and it'd be me taking the risk....refused point blank and he seemed to get a little shirty, almost like I shouldn't be haggling in a charity shop, like I've got some sort of moral code to adhere too :wink: :lol:

So passed on it and god help the person who stumps up £20 for it. It's in SCOPE on the high street, near the old blockbuster (which is now a bed shop)

On a lighter note, I did pick up a stack of old T3 magazines issues 1 - 14 for 10p each from the same shop.

scunny

Post by scunny » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:27 am

damn.. been too long since i have been back.. don't even remember a blockbuster on the town high street, just the one on ashby high street that i used to frequent (when it started as Ritz)

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:02 am

Similar theme, popped into the library to see what they had. It is £2.80 to hire a game for a week - a lot of them available for about £4 to buy in CEX.

Looked at th "for sale" stuff- couple of PSP titles (unpriced) - I asked £3 each . . at £2 I would have got a couple . . having typed that, I sound very tight!

load of original xbox stuff though
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:14 am

scunny wrote:damn.. been too long since i have been back.. don't even remember a blockbuster on the town high street, just the one on ashby high street that i used to frequent (when it started as Ritz)
I'm young enough to just remember Blockbuster in Ashby being a Ritz Video (if that makes you feel better lol), the one in Town high street only shut down last year, prob 3 times the size of the one in Ashby but rental trade just died off when HMV moved into the town.

Scunthorpe High street is dying at the moment so you aren't really missing much, everything is moving to just out of town shopping complex's which is a shame. The High Street is a wash of quid shops, bargain madness. The only good shops to show there faces and this is pushing it is Cash Converters and Cash Generators!! When times are hard the vultures move in!! Even the market is a shadow of its former self, don't know if you remember but there used to a be a decent sized computer games/console store on the market, ran by a man and wife, the bloke was Irish and would always have a good deal for you, anyway with the two shops mentioned AND game and game station in the town they've just gone out of business! After nearly 20 years. I remember buying NES games from them back in 1991/1992 when I was 11...such a shame.

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:14 pm

British Heart Foundation has got to be my favourite Charity Shop when it comes to bargain DVDs and Games. :)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth