Charity Shops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

simes

Re: Charity Shops

Post by simes » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:22 am

If anyone has games that they want to donate on ANY format including import titles, I'll take ANYTHING in the Oxfam book store that I work in here in Lichfield. We've had a gaming and sci-fi section for a few months now and it's proven really popular and as I posted earlier, we're literally covering every format imaginable from the C64 right up to the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. While we're not officially allowed to sell consoles, we'll still accept them as well as we can do them indirectly through ebay using volunteers ebay accounts or direct sales to individuals through forums etc. It's not an ideal way of doing it but it's better than binning them.

Since starting there, I've never turned down a game, console, accessory or magazine and I take the same stance with SF / fantasy whether it's a book, DVD, comic or even VHS - there's a place for all of them in my section of the store.

I have got some discretionary power to offer discounts for my section but I guess it's the same as every charity shop. Most volunteers aren't allowed to offer discounts or haggle with customers as prices are set by other volunteers or have to adhere to set pricing structures, but people in charge of certain areas of stores do have more discretion and there is more freedom to accept offers with more valuable items. Obviously, I can re-price all the sci-fi / gaming stock at will or offer multi-buy deals as often as I want / need to.

If you're ever in the area, feel free to pop in and say hi! If it's a Wednesday or Friday morning or any time on Sunday and I may be able to do you a deal on some of the stuff in store!
ImageImage

http://www.transformersvideogames.co.uk - complete guide to Transformers computer / video games
Sales / Trades Wants: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32492

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:05 pm

GigaPepsiMan wrote:Hmm I just donated some stuff to the BHF I can see the VHS tapes, sega saturn and various games getting binned as well as the comic books I didn't want anymore. I can see them just keeping the books and supreme commander on PC.
Aww, I would have taken the Saturn and games off you and made a donation to charity.

simes, I'd be interested if you are donated some consoles for sale. :)

simes

Post by simes » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Only consoles I have available right now are a couple of PS2s, both with two controllers and a memory card each. One is the silver edition of the original PS2 and the other is the black slimline model. I'm testing them tonight and over the weekend and I can do them individually or bundled with games (I've got almost 100 PS2 games in right now!).
ImageImage

http://www.transformersvideogames.co.uk - complete guide to Transformers computer / video games
Sales / Trades Wants: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32492

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:58 pm

I've got a PS2, but thanks for letting me know.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:18 am

picked up Skull Monekys PS1 today from my local scope. Case is a bit battered but its only plastic and the super bargin basment price of 75p! Hell thats a mars bar and about 15p change, what the hell can I buy for that nowadays so I'm super impressed with it. And entered in the king of quids comp.

Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions

I saw Special Missions in a charity shop this weekend. It was only 2 pounds 50. I left it because even though the disc was in it, i thought it was missing a second disc, as it was in a double jewel case like the original game.

Was i a fool? :?
Last edited by Riddler on Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:45 pm

I played that more than the game.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:01 am

I've got it but I can't play it......it doesn't work on a PS2 or PS3.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:56 am

Picked up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 on PS1 for £1 at the weekend. Very glad to own it again having pawned it many years ago. Finding it so cheap was made even sweeter by the fact that I nearly bought it on ebay for a fiver. Terrific game.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:01 am

SCORE!!!

Has everything except the game unfortunately. The box is in really good nick and the SNES has little to no hint of yellowing. The pad's a bit grubby but should clean up nicely. Even has the original receipt from Dixons. £149.95 on 26/03/1994 :lol:

Cost to me? £7
Going Solo...................

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:16 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:SCORE!!!

Has everything except the game unfortunately. The box is in really good nick and the SNES has little to no hint of yellowing. The pad's a bit grubby but should clean up nicely. Even has the original receipt from Dixons. £149.95 on 26/03/1994 :lol:

Cost to me? £7
Well the answers simple isnt it!?!? Bastard :D of course, only joking, but thats a pretty impressive score for charity shop shopping. what was the shop? out of interest.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:34 am

Katherine House Hospice. The same one that had an Amiga 1200 Desktop Dynamite set for £30
Going Solo...................

scunny

Post by scunny » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:57 am

very nice you lucky sh1tbag!

consider me jealous.
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:24 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Katherine House Hospice. The same one that had an Amiga 1200 Desktop Dynamite set for £30
Ahhhh.....never heard of it! is it an independent charity? not in the big boys league with BHF and oxfam etc lol still a cracking find regardless

martin8777

Post by martin8777 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:42 am

I picked up a complete, mint condition copy of Civilization II for the Pc in a BHF in Bromley the other week. It was tucked in amongst the board games there too. It cost me £2.90 which doesn't seem that much of a bargain now that I've seen peeps getting a snes for £7... :(
Still, nice to have a boxed copy of one of my favourite games of all time....

Where we live in Beckenham there's loads of charity shops, not much cop for Retro Gaming but great for books and board games.
Found the board game Cranium in one shop for £2.50 which was mint, none of the pieces had been taken out of plastic inside and the cards were still wrapped in plastic too. It costs about £40 new so quite chuffed with that, all we had to do was replace the modelling clay that had dried up with some plasticine from the toy shop for a quid. Also got scene-it music edition for £2.50 too but the novelty has worn off that and it's going back to the charity shop soon.

Anyone know any good charity shops in SE London that have good retro gaming stuff?