Charity Shops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

MadManDan79

Re: Charity Shops

Post by MadManDan79 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:48 pm

ALK wrote:Little help needed as I lack any knowledge of Atari values.

I noticed a 2nd hand electronics shop had an Atari 520 computer in the box (Least the picture showed a keyboard you can put floppy disks into but it was a huge box). There was no visible price, but would it be worth anything?
Definitely worth enquiring about esp if boxed, they go for about £30-£40 unboxed...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:54 pm

An Atari 520 will be an Atari ST of some sort. £20-50 for a working unboxed one, roughly. Depends on condition and model a bit, and whether there's any extras like games, joysticks, mice, additional disk drives etc.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:12 pm

I went back today to inquire about it. It does say Atari 520 ST on the box which was one of those old white boxes with a printed picture of the keyboard/computer. The box did look decent enough, bar a small stain on one of the corners.

I asked the lady how much and she got on the phone to the guy who owned the shop (Thankfully not my first prediction that she was checking ebay. :lol: ). She couldnt get an answer but told me if I returned tomorrow, she should find out the price for it.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:45 pm

LonDan wrote:
I've started telling my local shops that they're pricing stuff wrongly. We have a unknown charity called Octavia Foundation here in my neck of the woods and some of the prices they charge are absolutely mental.
Can't knock the Octavia Foundation as when they were selling off sealed PS2 Games 7 for £5 I had a load off of them.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:50 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
LonDan wrote:
I've started telling my local shops that they're pricing stuff wrongly. We have a unknown charity called Octavia Foundation here in my neck of the woods and some of the prices they charge are absolutely mental.
Can't knock the Octavia Foundation as when they were selling off sealed PS2 Games 7 for £5 I had a load off of them.
Is that a charity for charity for clapped out skodas? :wink: :lol: Not heard of it as such...

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:23 pm

On my 3rd visit to the store, the lady explained the asking price for the boxed Atari 520 ST was £15. HOWEVER it does not come with any of the cables so I left again saying I'd be back on Monday if I decide to pick it up.

Little torn whether to buy it or not, the original plan was to buy cheap and sell for profit but I have no idea if it would be worth anything or know where to start on finding the cables to test it, but now I'm somewhat considering getting it for the collection as I noticed today the side of the box had an Alders sticker, which our local one closed and became a different store years ago, but I had some memories of the store growing up, so it has that nostalgia factor as well as being a computer system even though my collection only goes as far back as the NES (Bar that Pong console I got for free.).

What do you guys reckon?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:08 pm

Cables arent a problem with an ST, power is standard kettle cable like PC and telly will work with standard analogue RF on all but the earliest models.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:02 am

All cables should be readily available from places like ebay

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:17 pm

MadManDan79 wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:
LonDan wrote:
Is that a charity for charity for clapped out skodas? :wink: :lol: Not heard of it as such...
Haha - not even sure what they do to be honest. I think they're linked to Eastern European children's refugee help.

To be fair to them, they have totally restructured their game prices recently so most titles, for most systems, are £1.99. £39.99 for Guitar Hero though...

Couple of nice PS3 pickups recently which I'll post up when I get a moment.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:34 pm

Well, here it is at last.

As mentioned, there are no cables with it and I got it for £15. I think I am going to sell it since I have zero room for a system in a box this big and like I said, Atari is a little beyond my gaming interest bar the 2600 which I intend to obtain one day. As far as further details goes, there were a few things like a product registration card, leaflet, and a small manual for the mouse as well as a smaller box inside most likely for the cable. I'll try and test it the best I can tomorrow.

So what do we reckon judging from the photos? Much value to be gained or anything else I need to know?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:44 pm

Looks in good order. You should make a good profit if sold as is but you'd get a nice lot for it if you could verify that it is fully working.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:57 pm

As you'll be able to see from the box, it's a 520STFM. The FM means it comes with a floppy drive and a modulator built in.

Do you actually have the mouse, and does it all work? If so, I'd think you could ask for £50 for it, at least if you could throw in an RF cable and power lead so the only thing the buyer needs to supply is games.

If you're selling it untested and without a mouse though, don't expect more than the cost of postage. They're the most common model, and it's not hard to find a working one.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:29 am

Matt_B wrote:Do you actually have the mouse, and does it all work? If so, I'd think you could ask for £50 for it, at least if you could throw in an RF cable and power lead so the only thing the buyer needs to supply is games.
£50 for an off-the-shelf 520 STfm is a bit too much. I would expect fully refurbished and a RAM expansion for that kind of money. £30 tops.

An off-the-shelf STfm is a fixer-upper - to get the most out of it, you need either a Gotek floppy emulator or a hard drive emulator and a 4MB RAM upgrade. There are two key details that will determine the overall value of the system:

1) The TOS will be either 1.02 or 1.04. 1.04 is more desirable because it's more stable for hard drives.
2) The motherboard will have either soldered or socketed MMU and Video Shifter chips. Socketed is more desirable as it makes the memory upgrade a lot easier.

Even after this, the STfm is still less desirable than the STe (enhanced) because it's incompatible with STe games and the memory upgrade on an STe is just a question of popping in a few SIMM modules.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:10 am

I've seen unexpanded 520STFMs go for £50+ on eBay lately. It would have to have everything in working order though.

You'd be doing well to get one for £30, unless it's from someone charging £20 more postage than everyone else. Most of the ones for around that price seem to have either have a broken disk drive or no mouse.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Matt_B wrote:I've seen unexpanded 520STFMs go for £50+ on eBay lately. It would have to have everything in working order though.

You'd be doing well to get one for £30, unless it's from someone charging £20 more postage than everyone else. Most of the ones for around that price seem to have either have a broken disk drive or no mouse.
Personally, I would treat any ST hardware that didn't come from Atari Freakz as untested. There are a lot of things that can go wrong from dodgy capacitors on the internal PSU to weak connections on the mouse/joystick ports and AF is the only person who checks for these things and does preventative repairs before selling.

You'll pay a lot more for his stuff but IMO he's worth it (you won't find anyone more knowledgeable about ST hardware) and anything else out there is fixer-upper material.