Charity Shops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

MadManDan79

Re: Charity Shops

Post by MadManDan79 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:02 am

Yes I just wanted to see what the reaction was... :wink:

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:56 pm

MadManDan79 wrote:Found a Nintendo Wii with controllers and all leads and wii fit board sensor at British Heart Foundation shop for £40 in Colchester if anyones interested? I'm not buying as I've already got one...
I've started telling my local shops that they're pricing stuff wrongly. We have a unknown charity called Octavia Foundation here in my neck of the woods and some of the prices they charge are absolutely mental.

The most recent one was a PS2 version of Guitar Hero 2 and the guitar - £39.99!

Anyone else having a totally barren spell with the charity shops at the moment? Haven't found a single thing worth buying in the past month or two and I look twice a week, in around a dozen different shops. I wonder if it's a post-christmas thing.

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:16 pm

Found for the first time ever two complete in boxed snes games today, donkey kong country and Marino paint.... But complete in boxed good condition, wanted £30 and £40 for them though

MadManDan79

Post by MadManDan79 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:25 pm

LonDan wrote: The most recent one was a PS2 version of Guitar Hero 2 and the guitar - £39.99!
What??? They're taking the censored - I found PS2 guitar hero 2 (game and guitar) at my local car boot for £37.99 less than that!!!

I did find GTA San Andreas for £1, PS1 England controller also £1, and a PS2 MadCatz controller for £2.50 lately...

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:42 pm

My local crack converters had Mario Galaxy 2, Mario Sports Mix and Mario Sonic 2012 Olympics for 2.99 each and Mario Kart for 1.99 all for wii

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:48 pm

not much gaming wise at charity shops for a while plus i have been pretty skint anyway but the last find i had was a tin set containign 2 sets of marks and spemncers playing cards a 3b pencil a score pad book and a book of card games rules and facts for 1.49 though i have got to say the cards dont play too well as they have a matte finish and stick together but do have a nice thickness for that loveley snapping sound.

BHF used to have lots of retro delights in but since I cant stand the manager of the local branch its the one branch of the charity i refuse to set foot in. and the charity shop i work at its mostly fifa 2005 and pes 3 ect
This guy are sick

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:10 am

Few bits this weeks;

Gunblade (the two pack thing)
Call of Duty World of War
Resident Evil
Metroid Prime 3

All for the Wii.

Spent about a tenner
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Half decent haul today
All for £15

Star Trek Voyager Series 4, 5, 6 and 7 in the hard cases (with cardboard over sleeves) DVD sets
Star Trek DS9 series 6 and 7 DVDS (slim versions)
Star Trek Next Gen S1 Blu ray set
Star Trek Motion Pic Trilogy ( 2, 3 and 4 bizarrely) Blu Ray
X Men Trilogy Blu Ray
Rez complete PS2 (with random Wipeout Fusion disc in the case too)
Rayman 3 Xbox complete
GTA 3 and VC Double Pack Complete
Aliens Colonial Marines Xbox 360
A pocket Bush DAB radio w. headphones

Should keep me occupied for a while.
Going Solo...................

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:24 pm

picked up 4 #hack guide books all which look in really good condition for £1 each. don't really know anything about the games really, never played them. also a sonic dvd box set for £1.50 :D

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:28 pm

Got this today for 1 quid.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:50 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:Got this today for 1 quid.

You lucky...

:)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Not exactly "Retro", but I picked up C&C 3 Tiberium War : Kane Edition for £1.99 from a local charity shop today. Looks like my PC should "just" be able to run it, but I'll probably have a look at the bonus DVD first.
Where logic won't work, I will

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:19 pm

We have a great system in my local cash converters. I'll dig through their stock of beat up and battered games and find something decently priced and in good nick, then the guy behind the counter will spend ten minutes going through all the discs in the drawer before giving me a weary look of resignation and shaking his head. Apparently it's too difficult to keep a single drawer's worth of discs in any order where you can actually find them again.

Everytime i look through games in charity shops, my heart goes out to the "complete collection" gamers who have to buy all those sport titles, party games and shovelware among the decent stuff.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:04 pm

LonDan wrote:
MadManDan79 wrote:Found a Nintendo Wii with controllers and all leads and wii fit board sensor at British Heart Foundation shop for £40 in Colchester if anyones interested? I'm not buying as I've already got one...
I've started telling my local shops that they're pricing stuff wrongly. We have a unknown charity called Octavia Foundation here in my neck of the woods and some of the prices they charge are absolutely mental.

The most recent one was a PS2 version of Guitar Hero 2 and the guitar - £39.99!

Anyone else having a totally barren spell with the charity shops at the moment? Haven't found a single thing worth buying in the past month or two and I look twice a week, in around a dozen different shops. I wonder if it's a post-christmas thing.
problem is british heart foundation have set prices set. by head office and they wont budge on price incase tehy get a bollocking they would much rather it get put in a skip then a price change or at least the one i worked at was like that, they would skip tapes automaticly and even staff couldnty take any "unsellable stock" so i was alway dreading classic spectrum or c64 tapes comming in oen day but i was ready to argue the case with the manager if they did and say listen just list it as a nintendo game and I will buy it but alas we never got anyhting older than ps1 game in which i made a point of checking for scratches my self becuae they always did a half asssed job and damned if iwas going to let badly scracthed game cdds or dvds be sold.
This guy are sick

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:34 pm

Little help needed as I lack any knowledge of Atari values.

I noticed a 2nd hand electronics shop had an Atari 520 computer in the box (Least the picture showed a keyboard you can put floppy disks into but it was a huge box). There was no visible price, but would it be worth anything?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.