Pictures of my entire Megaman Collection

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: Pictures of my entire Megaman Collection

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:03 am

lauraleebm wrote:I'm in love with your Megaman PC big box games!
They are easily my favourite sub collection in my Megaman Collection so far. They've also been probably the hardest to track down in good condition due to the outer boxes either being damaged or missing in most of the listings I come across.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:25 am

Recently picked up a flash cart for my GameBoy Micro and after hours of messing managed to get NES ROMs to work on it! Built a nice collection of the NES Mega Man games to sneak in work :oops: , had hours of fun. Really don't recommend using save states as it makes them way too easy to complete. But the design, characters weapons etc really holds up to this day. The games do get a bit lazy I found towards the end of the series but overall it's a damn fine set of games :)
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:36 am

Lorfarius wrote:Recently picked up a flash cart for my GameBoy Micro and after hours of messing managed to get NES ROMs to work on it! Built a nice collection of the NES Mega Man games to sneak in work :oops: , had hours of fun. Really don't recommend using save states as it makes them way too easy to complete. But the design, characters weapons etc really holds up to this day. The games do get a bit lazy I found towards the end of the series but overall it's a damn fine set of games :)
The series does get somewhat repetitive toward the later games - MM6 does insert an odd good idea here and there (optional alternate exits in 4 levels which net you the beat powerup) but other than that it does feel as if it just "goes through the motions".

Megaman 9 and 10 are a real return to form for the series though, levels seemed more creative compared to previous entries in the series, the difficulty was just right and the bosses were decent.

Its to bad that the 2 most recent Megaman games (Universe and Legends 3) have both been cancelled, there really isn't anything on the horizon for the series (unless Megaman Online does get finished though I have my doubts on that one as well).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:34 am

I never really got on with Mega Man 9. I know the games are difficult but it always felt like they went too far with it. At least they tried to fix this in 10.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:32 am

Lorfarius wrote:I never really got on with Mega Man 9. I know the games are difficult but it always felt like they went too far with it. At least they tried to fix this in 10.
Well, as much as I loved both 9 and 10, 9 is the superior game in almost every aspect. But I actually agree with you in regards to the difficulty, 9 is hard as nails :P

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:01 am

I'm not sure which I prefer more 9 or 10. In some aspects 10 beats out 9 - its graphics are more detailed in places (backgrounds mainly, they look more busy compared to the one colour BG's at points in MM9). Difficulty is another aspect which 10 does better but mainly the hard mode. Unlike MM9 which simply put extra enemies in locations to artificially increase the difficulty a lot more care went into MM10's hard mode - most noticable is that the bosses all get awesome new attacks most of which dramatically change my strategies to fight said bosses.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:22 am

ShadowMan wrote:I'm not sure which I prefer more 9 or 10. In some aspects 10 beats out 9 - its graphics are more detailed in places (backgrounds mainly, they look more busy compared to the one colour BG's at points in MM9). Difficulty is another aspect which 10 does better but mainly the hard mode. Unlike MM9 which simply put extra enemies in locations to artificially increase the difficulty a lot more care went into MM10's hard mode - most noticable is that the bosses all get awesome new attacks most of which dramatically change my strategies to fight said bosses.
I agree with you that 10 seems like a more carefully conceived game, however both the weapons and bosses were kinda disappointing when compared to the amazingly useful 9 weapons. The music, a very if not the most important factor for me, was also not as memorable as 9 which imho rivals MM2's soundtrack. You're the MM expert here so I'm sure you've analised both games to death and can come up with a more learned opinion but that's just how I feel :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:36 am

Your right about the weapons. I think MM9 is one of the only MM games to ever have such an incredibly useful weapons list - Lightning Trident is a fantastic "shot" weapon that goes through enemies and doesn't use that much energy, Concrete shot freezes things and can be used as a platform, blackhole bomb can suck up all nearby enemies and shots, jewel satellite is probably the best "shield" weapon ever included in a MM game etc.
In contrast MM10 had far fewer that were useful - Blade Man's weapon the exception which works incredibly well in most situations.

Bosses I'd say the game's are pretty even - Solar Man and Nitro Man are some of my favourite fights in any MM game (especially on Hard mode) plus Fortress boss wise I'd say the first Wily Fortress in MM10 is in my top 3 fortresses bosses (along with Yellow Devil and the Dragon). There was just something really awesome about refighting bosses from Megaman 1-9.

Its a close call for me really. But in my opinion both were done so well that I find it near impossible to pick between either!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:48 am

Got a few pictures of the new items in my new Megaman. Some of them are really nice bits that I've been missing for quite a while and some are just minor cover/region variants that I've slowly been tracking down.

The PAL B version of Megaman along with the PAL A version. Bar the little "A" and "B" in the bottom corner of each box there doesn't seem to be any difference between the two.

Thanks to Undamned for the heads up on this one. The NES-MN USA version of Megaman which (as he pointed out on a previous page) has a slightly different Nintendo seal of approval logo on both the box and cartridge, slightly richer colours on the box and the inner tab on the box has "NES-MN USA" instead of NES-MN USA-1 written on it.

The PAL A and PAL B versions of Megaman 2. The main difference is the "Capcom" logo on the boxes which on the PAL A version is just red while the PAL B version has a yellow logo with blue trim which is almost identical to their current logo design.

A side on look on both Megaman 2 box spines. Again the only difference is the Capcom logo being present on the PAL B version.

Again, same deal with the manuals except the PAL B version came with 2 manuals (one English and one Portuguese)

Megaman 3 (Both PAL A). The one of the left is my old UK copy, the one on the right is the "Mattel" version which I think is the Australian version (as eBay Australia was the only place where I could find several Mattel MM3's for sale). The only difference is the fact that the "Mattel" version has... well Mattel's logo all over the box and cartridge otherwise its identical.

The box tops of both MM3's. The top of the Mattel version substitutes the games title for misc text and a big Mattel logo.

Lastly is 2 USA versions of Megaman X. The differences between the two seem to be that the cover for each is in a slightly different shade (the one on the right has a slight purple tint). The manuals are obviously different - one is in full colour and the other is just black and white. Lastly some small print on the box and cart is slightly different - on the left it says "made in Japan" while the one on the right says "assembled in Mexico".

All my Korean PC releases in their awesome little embossed covers. Megaman X5 is the newest arrival and accompanies the other 7 X games and both arcade games.

A couple more bits of Megaman merchandise - A Japanese plug in TV games that is based off the Megaman Starforce series. Its pretty basic stuff and has a primitive motion control gimic. The figure is the special San Diego Comic Con exclusive version of Megaman X.

More Megaman merch - the Rockman X2 LCD Game/Calculator hybrid and a small pack of Japanese Megaman figures based on Megaman 7.

Special thanks to twoheadedboy for the heads up on these - A load more of the little Megaman candy figures including some of the rarer ones (like the awesome MM5 Wily Skull Walker and the Bit/Byte combo monster)

A few more candy toys including a few X bosses such as Tunnel Rhino, Spark Mandrill, Neon Tiger and the Megaman 7 Robot Museum mid boss)

One last item. This is a box art transparency for the sadly unreleased physical USA version of Wily Wars on the Megadrive. Apparantly this would have been the boxart that would have been used. Its a really nice little addition to my collection that sits alongside the cool art cels from Megaman 7.

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:43 am

well, I've finally got through all the pages of this lot - I must admit it's a mighty enviable collection and incredibly impressive. You probably already know about this, but I posted this to RobMan a while ago when I came across it and thought you might be interested too: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2089 ... an-edition

That's if you don't already have it - I must admit, your collection is overwhelmingly large and it's easy to miss bits!
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions | CLICK HERE

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:07 am

I've never come across that particular board game before, looks like I'll have to track it down now :D

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:22 am

Well, I've had a few enjoyable games of Settlers of Catan before and that's why I came across it - not sure how well the game's concepts will translate to the MM universe, but still could be a good collector's piece regardless :)
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions | CLICK HERE

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:29 am

Nice to see the little gashapon things arrived - that Skull Walker's amazing!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:47 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Nice to see the little gashapon things arrived - that Skull Walker's amazing!
Yes, thats my favourite of the bunch :D I picked up a load more of them from the same seller and got some really nice rarities like the MM7 Pumpkin, a couple of sub bosses from Megaman X1-3 and some of the rare Rockman & Forte figures. I'm leaning toward starting to go after a full set of them next for my MM collection as they were done so well. Some of them are really expensive though!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:23 pm

You should still go for it! From what I've seen, there tends to be a lot more scamming, sulking and general bitchiness in the world of hardcore mini-figure collecting, so stay on your toes if you DO go for it.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.