Pictures of my entire Megaman Collection

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: Pictures of my entire Megaman Collection

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:02 am

undamned wrote:Oh, man! What an ace collection! Here's are the items that really caught my attention:

- SS Super Adventure Rockman (variant) - I had no idea there were 2 different versions of SS Super Adventure Rockman! I've owned multiple copies of it, so it's entirely possible I've had both in hand at the same time and never knew it!
This one interests me as well. Apparantly what I've read is that one of the versions contained a glitch while the other was subsequently released fixing the glitch. Unfortunately I've no idea if this is true, and if it is then what the glitch actually is :(
- GBA Rockman EXE 5 (movie release version) - Wow, very cool limited version of the game!

- Complete Works Guide releases of Rockman 1 and 2 for the Playstation - Crazy! Never seen those! And if I had, I'd never have suspected that they included the actual game!
The Guide Books are some of my favourites as well - nice full colour guides with trivia, tips and really nice artwork. Capcom also released Strider, Dynasty War 2, Mighty Pang Collection and all 5 Capcom Generations Volumes in the same format which I am currently tracking down.
- All the strange non-JP/US/EUR releases - Especially the goofy pirate games! I get a bigger kick out of seeing weird stuff like that than the hard to find standard releases!
I love these as well. Its really cool to see what stuff the rest of Asia got official or not. I really like the Korean PC releases due to the really nice embost covers that fold out to reveal extra artwork/screenshots plus its still the only PC versions of X2 and X7 I've ever found. Then of course there's the weird Asia only PC games like Rockman Strategy (which is actually pretty decent to play). I'd still love to find a big box release of Rockman X Math Tornado.
It's absolutely stunning to see how many different releases of games there are. After pouring over your photos and checking against my collection, there are actually a hand full of games you are missing (bet you never thought you'd hear that!) :D I can snap some photo's of mine for you to compare, if you like!
-ud
Please do take photo's and post them here :D If there's one thing I love doing its discovering more variants that I don't have and then tracking them down to addd to my collection :mrgreen:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

undamned

Post by undamned » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:11 am

ShadowMan wrote:The Guide Books are some of my favourites as well - nice full colour guides with trivia, tips and really nice artwork. Capcom also released Strider, Dynasty War 2, Mighty Pang Collection and all 5 Capcom Generations Volumes in the same format which I am currently tracking down.
As far as finding the rest, search YAJ for カプコン レトロゲーム コレクション (Capcom Retro Game Collections) and カプコンゲームブックス (Capcom Game Books).

Ok, onto the game variants! :D

The first one will probably make you facepalm. Megaman for NES (US):

Image Image

Both boxes indicate they are "REV-A," but the small box tabs and upper right hand corner of the manuals indicate the version. The right-hand box is NES-MN USA. The colors are richer for both its box and manual vs. that of the left-hand box, NES-MN USA-1. The back of the boxes are identical. NES-MN USA is usually identified by a big round sticker on the bottom front of the box. This copy got away without one, somehow :D

Next up we have some PAL games! Megaman 2 (PAL):

Image Image

There was an A version and B version of this particular game. First off, you will see different Capcom logos on each version. If you inspect the front lower portion of the boxes, you may notice a humorous discrepancy in the fine print, below the Nintendo logo :D The majority of the text is the same and the major difference between the two is merely in the formatting. Also note that version A has a date of 1990, while version B claims 1988 (kinda backward, eh?).

Megaman 3 (PAL, Mattel logo version):

Image Image

This is the only version of Megaman 3 PAL that I own, so I cannot speak in detail on the differences between it and your copy. I just noticed that your's didn't say anything about Mattel!

Megaman X (US, Majesco version):

I don't have photos of this for you, as I have since sold mine. As far as I recall, the front cover was basically the same, but the back has text that denotes it as being released by Majesco and manufactured in Mexico. Also, the manual is black & white, rather than the nice full color original release. They are not worth nearly as much as the original release. I ebayed my sealed copy last year and it only went for like $90.

Megaman X6 (PAL, German version):

Image Image

The copy on the right has a different logo on the cover, above the Playstation hologram. The back, rather than the 3 language version, is only in German and features different art. The manual is also only in German. Although these are the only PAL X6 releases I'm aware of, some of the copies, like you have, have an Australian rating system sticker placed above the Playstation hologram:

Tiger Electronics Megaman 2 (French version):

Image Image

Not much to be said here. It's French! Wee, wee!

Bandai Rockman X2 pocket game:

Image Image Image Image Image

Bandai put out a small pocket calculator, organizer, game for Rockman X2 previous to the X3 Design Master unit you already have. I need to pick up a new battery for mine so I can remember what the game portion is like, but I don't think it's any more complex than the Tiger style games with fixed graphics.

Arcade:

Oh, boy. This part of your collection will give you a headache, for certain! Why? Because arcade operators are notorious for throwing away "worthless" boxes, papers, stickers, etc. :roll: Putting together a complete kit is a nightmare unless you are so blessed as to find a kit that was shelved and never taken apart.

Playchoice 10 Megaman 3:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I got a pretty smokin' deal on this kit years ago. I don't know what it would be worth today, but I can guarantee it would be a fair amount more than what I paid!

Megaman 2: The Power Fighters:

Image Image Image

I picked this kit up from a Capcom distro. maybe 7 years ago? I Played it and enjoyed it, but just couldn't justify having that kinda money (and space! The thing is huge!) wrapped up in one item. I've since sold it to a swell chap across the pond.

Rockman: The Power Battle:

Holy cow is it hard to find original art and manuals for these! I managed to land an untouched manual + artset for this! Unfortunately, CPS1 boxes are rare as hens teeth, so I'll just have to wait it out on that part.

Rockman 2 The Power Fighters:

This is almost a complete kit. Unfortunatly the art has seen better days (though it is original). The box is from an X-Men vs Street Fighter kit, but it is true to what this game would have shipped in.

Rockman: The Power Battle CPS2 RENTAL version:

That's right, Capcom did a limited run of the first Rockman arcade game on CPS2 hardware! The collector I sold my Megaman 2 arcade kit to owns the one in the photo. Beware of shady sellers selling bootleg "prototype" copies of this game on non Rental carts (i.e. anything other than Yellow).

Well, all that should keep you busy for at least a few more years of hunting :D I've got some other fun merch. to show off, but I'm gonna call it quits for tonight!

Here's a sneek peek of a Rockman case I'm slowly organizing:

Oh, and one last thing, here's a little article I threw together about a game from the original Rockman series that is sure to keep you from sleeping tonight :lol:
-ud
Last edited by undamned on Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:00 am

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to post the pictures of the variants. I'm already starting to search eBay, Yahoo Japan Auctions etc. to track down the above that you've posted (especially the NES variants). I love the collection case your putting together :D

I love the complete Playchoice 10 kit. I kept back a couple of boxes from a couple of the PC10 games I got with my cab and I've always wondered what the full MM3 PC10 kit looked like. I'll be keeping both eyes open for a complete kit but like you say I doubt it'll be cheap if I do manage to find one!

The Power Battle/Fighters kits look so nice :D At one stage the idea did go through my mind to track down the various regional releases of the PCB's but at the moment space and money issues kind of prevent me from following through with that. I would love to get complete kits (or at least manuals and art for each) one of these days.

The other thing that did cross my mind was going after the Australian and German variants on the games as well since like your X6 both have their own unique rating logo's on the games but again that'll have to wait until I free up more space!
undamned2 wrote: Oh, and one last thing, here's a little article I threw together about a game from the original Rockman series that is sure to keep you from sleeping tonight :lol:
-ud
An excellent read :D The pinball machine has been top of my wish list (along with the Rockman EXE arcade machines) for some time now and its so cool to get some detailed information on it. Thanks again for posting all this :D
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

GamingWeston

Post by GamingWeston » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:47 am

This reminds me the South Park episode when Cartman accepted only Megaman for his birthday :D
My own handpicked collection of flash games: Free Online Flash Games

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:55 am

Pictures of the Supervision versions of Megaman 2, Rockman 2 and Rockman 3 that I picked up yesterday:

Rockman 2

Rockman 3

And Megaman 2. Unlike the other 2 games this one comes on a NES cart not a Famicom cart.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:34 am

Love those Supervision versions especially those dodgy Nintendo Seals ;)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:57 am

Aha... I was expecting SuperVision as in that handheld device made by Watara in the early Nineties...

Never seen that Wily Wars on an EA-syled cartridge though, very nice!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:07 pm

Here are a couple more pictures of the latest bits I've picked up this week:

Different pirate carts for the Famicom and Megadrive. The cart in the top left hand corner is a multi cart that has all 6 Rockman games on it (though is sadly missing Rockboard). The game in the middle (in the case) is actually a completely different game - an RPG which has been hacked to replace the main character with a sprite that is a mix of Megaman and Zero. The title screen has also been hacked and replaced with the original Rockman title screen.

Yet another variant to add to my Megaman PC collection - a different boxed version of Rockman X8 from China.

And my favourite new arrivals - a set of 8 pin badges from Rockman 8. These are some of my favourite pieces of Rockman related merchandise.
gmintyfresh wrote:Love those Supervision versions especially those dodgy Nintendo Seals ;)
Yeah, the blurbs on the boxes are also pretty funny as well. The Megaman 2 cart cracks me up as all the artwork does not relate to the game in the slightest :lol:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Aha... I was expecting SuperVision as in that handheld device made by Watara in the early Nineties...
Now those would be some nice additions to my collection. It really wouldn't surprise me if I do come across something like that one day with the wealth of funky MM merchandise that got released in Asia!

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:42 pm

Shadowman your collection seems like it's never ending.... Keep up the good work!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:14 pm

Joey wrote:Shadowman your collection seems like it's never ending.... Keep up the good work!
Yeah, every time I think I've got nothing else to get I wind up getting another load of bits. I'm watching a few bits that Undamned recommended above plus I have some other nice bits on there way to me as well. Not that I'm complaining!

undamned

Post by undamned » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:06 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Image

And my favourite new arrivals - a set of 8 pin badges from Rockman 8. These are some of my favourite pieces of Rockman related merchandise.
Haha, I was tempted to bid on that, too :D You got a great deal on that set!
-ud

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 pm

ShadowMan, do you collect games that include MegaMan at all?

You know like MvC or Gunspike? :D
Logged out 15/07/2014.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:32 am

speedlolita wrote:ShadowMan, do you collect games that include MegaMan at all?

You know like MvC or Gunspike? :D
Yep, I'm collecting anything Capcom at the moment and one way or another I've wound up with games where he makes cameo's like Gunspike, the Vs games as well as more obscure stuff like the Gameboy game Capcom Quiz: Hatena? no Daibouken.
undamned wrote: Haha, I was tempted to bid on that, too :D You got a great deal on that set!
-ud
Thanks :D I'm really pleased with how nice they look. My only disappointment is that they did an Aqua Man badge instead of a cooler Robot Master like Search Man.
Thanks for the Power Battle rental pictures, another to add to the list to pick up eventually!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:22 am

Pictures of my new arrivals courtesy of undamned :D

The French release of the Tiger Megaman 2 handheld, Rockman the Power Battle art and manual to go with my PCB, Megaman X6 (Australian release), Tunder Blaster Man, Rockman EXE chara wrist band and Rockman 2 for the Famicom Disc System (no idea if that is whats actually on the disc though, I really need a FDS)

lauraleebm

Post by lauraleebm » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:25 am

I'm in love with your Megaman PC big box games!
Visit my sexy retro blog at http://desvandelaura.blogspot.com/