So many lost levels.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rossi46

So many lost levels.

Post by rossi46 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:21 pm

I got to thinking today about all the games I haven't completed and it led me to think that there's probably more levels I haven't seen than those I have.

What's your ratio of played to not-played?
Thoughts and prayers.

Megamixer

Re: So many lost levels.

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:26 pm

rossi46 wrote: What's your ratio of played to not-played?
Horrendous. As soon as I got a job and a disposable income, I've bought so many games just because they were cheap or just because they looked interesting and I've played very few of them.

This year, I've resolved to only a buy a few specific games I've wanted for a while and to play what I own instead of buying loads of stuff for the sake of it. Hopefully I can sift the good stuff from the bad stuff and turn that played/not-played ratio around...hopefully.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:36 pm

Mine was horrendous.So this year, decided to do something about it.Rather than buy more stuff, just because it's now cheap, revisted few games i consigned to the cupboard.So far?working out great.Completed Ratchet and Clank:T.O.D and currently loving Burnout:Paradise, a game i once hated.

casiokid

Post by casiokid » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:49 pm

I'm pretty dreadful at games in general, and I shudder to think of the amount of games I've given up on about a third of the way through.

I'm trying to work through games to completion more these days, but I have a very low threshold when it comes to overly frustrating sections or too much aimless wandering in games. I really, really tried with Super Meat Boy recently, but came to a screeching halt at those explodey-snapping things.

Like the poster above, Burnout Paradise has eaten up a lot of my time. I think I've played through it about three times, unlocking as many cars as possible, smashing billboards...rollin' around listening to Hall and Oates :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Trying to complete games now though sometimes it aint worth it. Thankfully many games now seem shorter than they used to, 7-8 hours or whatever.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:26 pm

I think the number of Spectrum games I have means I'll never get a good played:completed ratio even if I never buy a new game again :(

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:27 pm

It depends on if we are talking about retro games or modern ones.

I've completed (at least once) almost every game I've bought since the PS1 (only two PS1 games - Gran Turismo and an old F1 game spring to mind as not finished). Since I have thousands of retro games, I've obviously only completed an extremely small amount of those, and they were also much harder to finish.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:12 pm

My biggest shame in this area is probably buying Grandia II on the PS2 and never playing it even once. I'd absolutely loved the original, I still don't know why I simply wouldn't play this.

In the last couple of years, I've drastically cut back my games spending so that every game gets a solid playthrough, usually to the finish. My most recent game was Sonic Colors, a present for Christmas, but before that it was Super Street Fighter 4 several months back. In the meantime I'd played through half a dozen games that had been squatting on my shelf.

So, to sum up, not great but improving.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:21 pm

not great maybe an 80 to 20 ratio
with 80 not finished or not even played yet and 20 finished if that
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

William S

Post by William S » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Out of the 100's of games I had for my C64, I think I only completed 6 or 7 of them! :lol:
The bad joystick control/response on the machine often made games very frustrating to play.

I've completed every game I've had for the NES, and most of the games I have on the SNES (Not SMB -The Lost Levels :evil: )
Don't have many games for my Master System, Megadrive or GBA, but I've completed most of them too.
ImageImageImage

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:54 am

Phew! I'm really pleased to have read this thread - glad its not just me that gets cheap games and doesn't complete them . . .I have a stack of 360 titles I've hardly touched. Might just add one more, Just Cause 2 (£12) then be happy with those for a bit . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:08 am

There's a big difference between completing most retro games and most modern ones. The obvious one being that old games had to squeeze extra play-time out of less memory/storage, so the challenge was cranked up to keep you occupied for longer. Most modern games aren't as challenging simply because they can keep you entertained with longer storylines/more levels etc. without risk of frustrating folks with difficulty.

That said, having the time to complete modern games is now the challenging bit :) I'm trying to stick to only buying a new game when I have completed another this year. . . doubt that will be stuck to though!

Then there is the issue of "have I actually seen everything?" I completed Lara Croft:Guardian of Light shortly after getting it, but I played through it in Co-Op with a mate recently and it was a much better experience and more fun.

At least some games have the decency of showing you a % complete stat :)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:11 am

im not that botherd with the have i seen everything im alreayd happy when i have actually seen an ending and the end credits so i at least finished the main story line
games like fable 2 are potentionally endless because there is stil so many extra stuff to do when your done with the main quest

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:18 am

snowkatt wrote:im not that botherd with the have i seen everything im alreayd happy when i have actually seen an ending and the end credits so i at least finished the main story line
To me, that's like buying a cake and only eating half of it. You've paid for it, if you enjoyed it, you might as well continue to see the rest of it.
It's incredible how many games I own and how few I've beaten, though I am attempting to rectify this.
Last edited by QuantumCrayons on Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:21 am

thats just the point though ive got so many games i still have to start let alone finish
that trying to get 100 % in each and every one is undoable ill never finish them all in that way
and id rather finish at least the main story and have seen the majority of what the game has to offer then letting them lie around