I love PSPs

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

station

Re: I love PSPs

Post by station » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:49 am

I haven't had mine hacked at all, there's save game exploits you can use with downloadable demo games (Patapon 2 for example):

http://www.psp-hacks.com/2011/01/03/hen ... more-17696

I just can't get into games on the PSP (that little joystick thing!), but the emulation side is ace.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:15 am

I'd love to play the latest games, but without anymore jiggery pokery I'm hamstrung by the hack. A shame, but I value the thousands of retro roms I've got on there more than the few (admittedly supposedly very good) new PSP games. I've got about 25 games that work fine, and there are about a dozen or so on my list I'm still to buy.

I'd get a second PSP but the missus would throttle me (she's already cottoned on to my expanding gameboy micro collection!)

It's a great piece of kit, unfairly maligned and overlooked in my eyes.

The little joytick isn't perfect, but I don't mind it. To be honest, I well prefer it to my Wii controllers which I've really had enough of.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:38 pm

greenberet79 wrote: I'd get a second PSP but the missus would throttle me
Buy a pink psp 3000 and tell her "look honey I got you a gift..."

retromax

Post by retromax » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:51 pm

The only reason I got my PSP was for emulation!, the only UMD the drive has seen was when I rented GTA for the CFW hack years ago.... times have changed now, you just need a battery to hack my old thing.....

Sonic running on Dgen.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-a3rkjkGY
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:44 am

I have a 1000 running firmware 6.35 - what EXACTLY would I have to do? Would I have to open it up? Is it expensive?
And another thing - if they could have put a bit more effort towards its Flash player, there'd be even more great games available for FREE!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:06 am

You don't have to open it up. I used a Pandora Battery and Magic Memory stick to download the software (google them - or better still search for Zetr0 on this forum). I just carefully followed instructions I was given and it was pretty easy - took about 20 minutes (including double checking things I'd read). I was over the moon when I realised it had worked.

Has anyone got Silent Hill Shattered Memories? Recommend it?
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:50 am

:oops: Excuse double-esq post on the subject (replied to your question on which ver.to get, elsewhere).Anywho:Own SH:SM on PS2 and PSP.Not the best SH game, but very atmospheric.The Pyscho.tests you sit, story and atmosphere very good.Ending i found superb. If you pick it up on psp. Dark room+Headphones are a must.

chewy

Post by chewy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:59 am

greenberet79 wrote:You don't have to open it up. I used a Pandora Battery and Magic Memory stick to download the software (google them - or better still search for Zetr0 on this forum). I just carefully followed instructions I was given and it was pretty easy - took about 20 minutes (including double checking things I'd read). I was over the moon when I realised it had worked.

Has anyone got Silent Hill Shattered Memories? Recommend it?
There's an easier way now. Check out ChickHEN exploits. This can be used to then get CF working.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:33 pm

Nice to know I won't have to get the tools out, but I still am none the wiser as to how much this would cost. And having the latest firmware, can I go back? I should be able to with a 1000 but I'm still not ENTIRELY sure.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:52 pm

My phat PSP 1000 should come in the post tomorrow with low version of the firmware installed (3.93) so 'll finally be able to play the SAM Coupe version of Manic Miner again (it's easily the best MM) :)

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:35 am

I've got ChickHEN running on mine, which isn't actually techncially a firmware hack (due to it not being permanent) but it seems to work great.

GreenBeret - which SNES emu are you running? I'm running one of the versions of Snes9x (there are a few) and it works perfectly on my 2000. I'll find out which one I'm running later.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:37 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Nice to know I won't have to get the tools out, but I still am none the wiser as to how much this would cost. And having the latest firmware, can I go back? I should be able to with a 1000 but I'm still not ENTIRELY sure.
A pandora battery and magic memory stick are about £10, give or take. You should be able to downgrade your firmware no problem on a 1000, either through the software on the memory stick you buy (or borrow from someone on the forum?) or download from the internet.

Or you could always just Google 'CFW a PSP', you should find out the fundamentals. Or maybe the Chickhen exploit thingy might be the best thing!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:06 am

PSP nub been an odd one for myself (large hands).Could'nt do the QTE stuff on The Warriors (so picked it up on Xbox instead), sailed through God Of War, yet epic fail on PS2 games.Last night, could'nt do a simple platform bit (move in l-direction on rail hanging bit on Daxter), yet fine with Killzone.started Killzone from scratch-Can't find my old save game card, lovin it.As for the Snes emu? Zetr0 put SnesX9 on mine-seems fine.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:27 am

All the sites I've been on say I need firmware 5.03 or lower to run ChickHen and I am NOT able to downgrade. And as for getting a Pandora battery, it seems affordable enough, but I don't think they take postal orders in the US! And after watching and reading various tutorials, I'm more confused than ever!

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:06 am

Liamh1982 wrote:All the sites I've been on say I need firmware 5.03 or lower to run ChickHen and I am NOT able to downgrade. And as for getting a Pandora battery, it seems affordable enough, but I don't think they take postal orders in the US! And after watching and reading various tutorials, I'm more confused than ever!
This is a soft hack so it'll disapear when your psp is turned off so use sleep mode instead of a full power off.
psp-hacks.com wrote:
Homebrew Enabler for PSP 6.31 and 6.35 Released
greg | January 3, 2011
Like zeh said, I was sleeping… But what a wonderful thing to wake up to this morning: Virtuous Flame and Coldbird’s Homebrew Enabler! This HEN release is for users left in the dark at firmware 6.31 or 6.35. Now you too can enjoy the fun that is PSP Hacks!
And yes — Prometheus ISO Loader works. And no — no downgrading yet.

HEN for 6.31 / 6.35 Installation

1.Download and unzip the appropriate HEN version for your PSP firmware below
2.Download and unzip Half Byte Loader R112 for Minna no Sukkiri
◦Copy the “hbl” directory and the “h.bin” file to the root of your device
3.Download and unzip the Minna no Sukkiri PSP Demo
◦Unzip UCJS10094.zip (the SAVEDATA exploit) and copy to PSP/SAVEDATA
4.Replace HBL’s “hbl/menu/EBOOT.PBP” with the appropriate HEN version
5.Start up Minna no Sukkiri and enjoy!
Download:
Minna no Sukkiri Demo (includes PSP SAVEDATA Exploit) http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/2014
HBL R112 for Minna no Sukkiri http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/2013
HEN for 6.35 http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/2033

http://www.psp-hacks.com/2011/01/03/hen ... more-17696
Last edited by c0nfu53d on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.