\"dodgiest\" game endings ever

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:14 pm

theres one youve missed.

the ending in monkey island 2. i mean wtf is that about?

*****SPOILER***** both guybrush AND LeChuck come walking out of a ride called big whoop with their mum and dad.....
.........jeeeez?

'the best thing about a wedding is if you watch the video in reverse, it always has a happy ending'

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:35 pm

Resurrecting this thread....

Mainly because I just slogged through Metal Gear Solid 2 for the first time. Loved every minute of it, apart from some of the hugely long cutscenes...

Finally beat Solidus (took all afternoon but I got the bastard), and settled down to watch another hugely long cutscene that wrapped everything up...

...but no.

Some crap about passing on things other than your genes with some red-filtered real-life footage of New York (?) playing.

Where's Liquid? What happened to Otacon? Colonel Campbell? Rosemary? Real or not?

Bastards.

Do these questions get answered in MGS3? Please tell me they do.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:08 pm

Silent Hill on the PS1. You get to rescue the daughter but then she ends up turning into a monster which you have to kill. When the monster is killed the game goes dark, you hear the daughter's voice saying "Goodbye Daddy" & your character shouting "No! No!". Too weird for my liking even in a videogame. My mate said he had a different ending so maybe I got the worst of all the endings possible in this game.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:42 pm

D, I really liked the game on the PS1, but you could only get the 'good' ending by collecting certain extra things lying around. I and a mate knew where theyt would be, the problem being that the game would seemingly decide 9 times outta 10 not to make the items available to you, so we never saw the good ending
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

hungry_hog

Post by hungry_hog » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:03 pm

Obviously a lot of 8 bit games lacked endings because of:

a) memory limitations and
b) ppl weren't expected to finish them

nevertheless i would pick out last ninja, wizball and ghosts 'n goblins, partly because they were such excellent games*, yet with terrible endings

last ninja: the ninja glows and you get a message saying "the quest continues"
wizball: the screen goes black and the catellite wails
ghosts 'n goblins: arthur runs towards the princess and you go back to the start :(

*the zzap marks for the above 3: 94, 96, 97% respectively

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:00 pm

A sexual under-current in this ending??

Now thats Dodgy even if not meant in that way!

http://engrish.com/detail.php?imagename ... 2002-10-06

Apologies as I have already used this in the "Games in Engrish" thread!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:41 am

sleeper77 wrote:Silent Hill on the PS1. You get to rescue the daughter but then she ends up turning into a monster which you have to kill. When the monster is killed the game goes dark, you hear the daughter's voice saying "Goodbye Daddy" & your character shouting "No! No!". Too weird for my liking even in a videogame. My mate said he had a different ending so maybe I got the worst of all the endings possible in this game.
There are, iirc, 4 different endings to that game. Its possible to complete the game saving both the cop and the girl - you'll get pics of Harry standing with the baby in his arms as its no longer grown up. Weird...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:03 am

Mootown wrote:But thats the point of War of the Worlds - man fights back with all his amazing technology which does nothing, but ultimatley the tiny bacteria kill the aliens - kind of ironic.
Actually, it's also a fairly obvious parallel with empires of the day, who'd invade countries with inferior technology, only to be "defeated" by previously undiscovered diseases.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

merman

Post by merman » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:14 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
sleeper77 wrote:Silent Hill on the PS1. You get to rescue the daughter but then she ends up turning into a monster which you have to kill. When the monster is killed the game goes dark, you hear the daughter's voice saying "Goodbye Daddy" & your character shouting "No! No!". Too weird for my liking even in a videogame. My mate said he had a different ending so maybe I got the worst of all the endings possible in this game.
There are, iirc, 4 different endings to that game. Its possible to complete the game saving both the cop and the girl - you'll get pics of Harry standing with the baby in his arms as its no longer grown up. Weird...
Five different endings actually...

The only thing I enjoyed about MGS2's ending was the music.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:21 am

Most of my games end with me running out of lives/health. :oops:

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:31 am

djcarlos wrote:Resurrecting this thread....

Mainly because I just slogged through Metal Gear Solid 2 for the first time. Loved every minute of it, apart from some of the hugely long cutscenes...

Finally beat Solidus (took all afternoon but I got the bastard), and settled down to watch another hugely long cutscene that wrapped everything up...

...but no.

Some crap about passing on things other than your genes with some red-filtered real-life footage of New York (?) playing.

Where's Liquid? What happened to Otacon? Colonel Campbell? Rosemary? Real or not?

Bastards.

Nope!

Hopefully we'll find out in MGS4, the thought of which almost makes me wet my pants. :shock:
真・豪鬼

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:45 am

Seem to recall Forgotten Warrior on my mobile phone not having much of an ending. :(
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:11 am

Shin_Gouki wrote:
djcarlos wrote:Resurrecting this thread....

...but no.

Bastards.

Nope!

Hopefully we'll find out in MGS4, the thought of which almost makes me wet my pants. :shock:
So that's how they are planning on getting us to buy the PS3.

thl

Post by thl » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:43 am

Master System's Action Fighter and Choplifter didn't came with a very good ending. After completing the game, I came up with the congratulation screen which I find it rather unusual and ridiculously silly.