The DOS games thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Gabe

The DOS games thread

Post by Gabe » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:28 pm

It seems we don't get a great deal of DOS-gaming love on this forum, but hopefully I am not alone in appreciating some of the fantastic DOS titles that were released over the years - so let's make this thread a place to make recommendations/sharing of experiences.

To kick-off, did anybody ever play Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday? I never have (and am attempting to get it working on DOSbox currently) but I remember watching my brother play it years ago - I distinctly recall him using the 'jury rig' command a lot without knowing what that meant. I want to play it now because I really want to get into a tactical RPG and I fancy a change from fantasy settings.

Or what about Master of Magic? I spent a bit of time with this when I was younger (and had disposable income!) without ever really getting very far. It was a good mix between civ-style city building and tactical battles. There were a ton of spells to learn and buildings to construct and both overground/underground maps to explore. In a way the Heroes of Might and Magic took the conept and made it a bit more accessable.

Over to you guys and gals.

Edit - Also, are there any good DOS-gaming based sites around - something like an expanded Retrobates experience, with reader reviews of games etc?

theantmeister

Re: The DOS games thread

Post by theantmeister » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:54 pm

Geez, where to start? Dos games ranged from Alley Cat to Tomb Raider - that's a lot of ground to cover!

I never played countdown to doomsday, but I did play another Buck Rogers game - I think it was a home port of a Sega arcade game?

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:33 pm

Gabe wrote:To kick-off, did anybody ever play Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday? I never have (and am attempting to get it working on DOSbox currently) but I remember watching my brother play it years ago - I distinctly recall him using the 'jury rig' command a lot without knowing what that meant. I want to play it now because I really want to get into a tactical RPG and I fancy a change from fantasy settings.
Gabe,
This is one of my fave games on the MD, which I've heard is a much simplified version. Would be interested to hear what the DOS version is like.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:13 pm

I can never get any to work - it's to fiddly. The last 2 games I tried, Baku Baku Animal and Al Qadim - The Genies Curse were both epic fails. Baku spat some weird error and to rub salt in the wounds the error was in Japanese! I don't remember why Al Qadim doesn't work but it's sat on my deskto doing nothing. Sometimes, on a quiet night I swear I can hear it laughing at me...

Farzlepot

Post by Farzlepot » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:23 pm

The first games I think about whenever anybody mentions DOS are Zork (wooo!), Commander Keen (wooo!) and Another World (woooo!).

Playing Zork on a re-badged Panasonic Senior Partner (branded as a Nixdorf, of all things) was... an experience.

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:43 pm

I grew up with an DOS Amstrad PC. We had hundreds upn hundreads of games. some of my faves were:

Castle
Race (horse race betting game)
Sponges/Pango
Tomahawk
Jason Jupiter
Larry in the land of the lounge lizards
Pub Pool
Alley cat
Saboteur 2
Summer/Winter games
Kindom of Kroz
Mach 3

.......but to name a few. I could go on, great memories.

retromax

Post by retromax » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:48 pm

Ages ago I downloaded 1000's of dos games as I'd setup an old laptop with dos 6.2... don't know where they are now though (on some dvd's somewhere I guess) but I still have the old Omnibook 800ct setup for dos with a handful of games on the HDD, stuff like Asterix, Back to the Future and a Nightmare on Elm street comes to mind. I went though this whole stage of learning dos commands which ended up a useful thing to know. Obviousley I installed old computers/console emulators too that work on dos and even got a joystick working via a pcmcia port for both the dos games aswell as the emulators.

Infact..... I was playing the dos version of Lemmings the other day! 8)
Hi I'm Retromax you may remember me from such songs as "Hantarex Two Five Zero" and "Hantarex Two Five Zero" the remix:)

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:20 pm

Captain Comic, Galactix, Commander Keen, Supaplex, Prince of Persia, The Monuments of Mars, Digger (not Digdug), Crystal Caves, Major Stryker, Eye of Horus, Netherworld, Llamatron, The Dizzy games.....

I could go on for a while too :P
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

snigfarp

Post by snigfarp » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:21 am

Gabe wrote:It seems we don't get a great deal of DOS-gaming love on this forum, but hopefully I am not alone in appreciating some of the fantastic DOS titles that were released over the years - so let's make this thread a place to make recommendations/sharing of experiences.
I love DOS games! I particularly like the early 1990s era games. VGA had taken off by then so graphics were often comparable to or better than Amiga/ST versions of the same games. I find it easier to emulate than the Amiga/ST too, partly down to my familiarity with DOS from those days, and partly down to the ubiquity of DOSBox.
Or what about Master of Magic? I spent a bit of time with this when I was younger (and had disposable income!) without ever really getting very far. It was a good mix between civ-style city building and tactical battles. There were a ton of spells to learn and buildings to construct and both overground/underground maps to explore. In a way the Heroes of Might and Magic took the conept and made it a bit more accessable.
I've only tried Master of Magic once, and couldn't get into it. I haven't yet got around to giving it another go, but I know it's one of the classics. I have spent a lot of time playing Master of Orion over the years, though. And I still enjoy playing Populous and SimCity - both all the more impressive for working well on my 4.77MHz IBM PC with its Hercules graphics, which was old even back in those days.
Edit - Also, are there any good DOS-gaming based sites around - something like an expanded Retrobates experience, with reader reviews of games etc?
I regularly visit Abandonia - http://www.abandonia.com/ - not as many games as some sites, but each one has a full review and a range of screen shots to help you decide if it's your "thing" or not.
Damian
New Speccy games - http://spectrum.cyningstan.org.uk/
Psion handheld gaming - http://psigamer.cyningstan.org.uk/

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:31 pm

I've still got a lot of the origonal DOS games I bought in there big cardboard boxes... Elite, North and South, Xwing, amongst outhers...
I've also got the 3D construction kit some where...

(see previous mentions of my cleenout) ;)
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:05 pm

It would be nice if DosBox or one of its front-ends came with pre-configured files for games. Admittedly most can be had and then set up with a quick google search per-game, but it would be great if that data could be collated, uploaded or otherwise automated and integrated into a Front-End for the emulator allowing one click launching of games a la ScummVM, MameUI etc.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:32 pm

i could never get the buggers to work either
not on dos and not in dosbox i need a front end dosbox version to run daggerfall at all
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:09 am

It is a problem, yeah. I haven't yet been able to start Buck Rogers because the version I got is bugged. I tried getting X-Com: Terror From The Deep running too, to no avail. As an aside, I gather that TftD is better than the original X-Com (although I admit I prefer the land-based setting to underwater). What makes it better?

I really should rescue my DOS games from my parents house at some point - I had some fabulous games that will probably still hold up well today.

Anyway, be nice if some folks wrote a little about some of the games they enjoyed, see if we can make this thread a repository for those looking to get on-board with some DOS gaming!

Trickster

Post by Trickster » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 am

I love "terror from the deep" much more than "enemy unknown" just because of the atmosphere. The levels were darker and therefore spookier - you feel really isolated under water. The ambient sound was great and raised the tension and I loved the Cthulhu-like creatures.´

Good DOS games? There are so many of them: a huge list of adventures of course. Many rpgs and some strategy games. But I really miss games like x-wing, tie-fighter, wing commander 1 + 2...

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:56 am

My personal favourite DOS game of ALL TIME (And it always makes my top 3 games of all time) is Pyro II.

It's a really difficult puzzle game where you have to burn down buildings by dropping petrol cans around the room and dragging a fuse behind you.

It sounds simple, but it's amazingly difficult and frustrating.

I *THINK* it was actually a PD game, too.
ImageImage