Arrggghhhhh, ruddy stickers!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Lorfarius

Arrggghhhhh, ruddy stickers!

Post by Lorfarius » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:56 am

Just bought a copy of the 25th Anniversary Mario All stars boxset as I'm planning on doing a review. Ripped the packaging away from Amazon only to see a huge circular sticker over the top, started peeling a tiny bit at a time away when it tore! :evil: Ruined the top end of the box, why do they put these stupid stickers on cardboard!??!?!
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

DPrinny

Re: Arrggghhhhh, ruddy stickers!

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:32 am

In store you can understand(Sure theres a law that says if it dont have a price on it you can take it), but online it is indeed a "Why" thing

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:48 am

I noticed that those barcoded stickers from gamestation are tougher to peel off than they used to be. Ripped a bit of my otherwise mint Sin and Punishment 2 manual the other day when the sticker suddenly tore :evil:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:56 am

It's abit late now but next time use a hairdryer on it and that heats the glue and you should be able to peel it off. Also send it back to amazon for a refund, i would as the sticker should be easy to peel off or you could say amazon defaced a collectors item before mailing it to you therefore devaluing it.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:13 am

Why does everybody keep trying to peel the sticker off and then moaning that it's ripped their box? :? I just used a small knife to cut through it from the side, no damage done and the box opens easily. Used to do that with the horrible 'Nintendo' stickers they used to put on the ends of the cardboard boxes for SNES and N64 games too.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:16 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Why does everybody keep trying to peel the sticker off and then moaning that it's ripped their box? :? I just used a small knife to cut through it from the side, no damage done and the box opens easily. Used to do that with the horrible 'Nintendo' stickers they used to put on the ends of the cardboard boxes for SNES and N64 games too.
This.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:56 am

I've been using a knife to cut round the stickers, thereby keeping the stickers intact for my collection.
Splink!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:45 pm

Same thing happened to my Mario All Stars Wii game, the whole packaging seems shoddy to me, wish they had done something better!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:26 pm

DPrinny wrote:Sure theres a law that says if it dont have a price on it you can take it)

Good luck with that one in court :wink:

MC1

Post by MC1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:36 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Sure theres a law that says if it dont have a price on it you can take it)

I think it's in the same law book that states that when a female says no, she means yes.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:01 pm

Negative Creep wrote:

Nar it was something I hear long ago

It was from a Australian

Lavilian

Post by Lavilian » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:32 pm

If I remember correctly they actually sell some spray just for removing stickers and other gunk from cases and games. I'm trying to remember the name right now and I have been wanting to buy some for quite sometime but I never really got around to it.

drewbar

Post by drewbar » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:59 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:It's abit late now but next time use a hairdryer on it and that heats the glue and you should be able to peel it off.
I second this. Works a treat.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:11 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Just bought a copy of the 25th Anniversary Mario All stars boxset as I'm planning on doing a review. Ripped the packaging away from Amazon only to see a huge circular sticker over the top, started peeling a tiny bit at a time away when it tore! :evil: Ruined the top end of the box, why do they put these stupid stickers on cardboard!??!?!
well that rip off deserves to be ripped or preverbly left on the shelves to rot where it belongs ;)
personally i never cared much about stickers and then to leave them on especially price stickers
the price discrepansies are hilarious not too mention sobering
especially those of early dvd's
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:39 pm

I've never tried it myself but apparently steaming them off is the best thing to do. If you ever need to get a sticker off plastic then WD40 works brilliantly