getting wii online via a three dongle

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slightly delayed

getting wii online via a three dongle

Post by slightly delayed » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:34 pm

since bt broke my internet I'm having to use a three dongle thing for the internet i was just wondering if it was possible to get my wii online with it ? i know that there is that mifi thing available, but it seems a bit pricey

Liamh1982

Re: getting wii online via a three dongle

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:08 am

I'm not sure, but I suppose there's no harm in trying.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:28 am

You may not be able to get the Wii to use it directly, but you can use your PC internet connection and bridge to it. Probably less fiddly to use ethernet for this, but Wii doesn't have that built in of course.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:35 am

would love to know if this works out as I am will need to do this for my Wii and possibly PS3 as well.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:00 am

Since my falling out with Virgin, I use a mobile dongle for my net connection, like Ant said you need to set up internet connection sharing on the PC that the dongle is plugged into and disable the DHCP server on your router (as your net connected PC takes over this job) and you should be good to go.

You will probably need to alter your router's config before enabling internet connection sharing otherwise you may not be able to access your router later, also make sure your wireless security settings are correct beforehand too because like I said once your PC is acting as the DHCP server you may not be able to access the router.

Then it's just a simple case of going into Network connections, right clicking your dongle connection and selecting share this connection.

There are a lot more thorough guides if you Google for em..

edit: your PC will see the 3 dongle as a dial up connection, so bridging will not work.. ICS is the only possibility

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:15 am

This is the method I use currently to connect my 360, PS3, Wii and IPhone to the Internet and works with no problems at all.

Unfortunately landline broadband for me is still not an option living in the stix!
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:36 am

I Think it costs £40 for a mifi device - not too bad. If your pc modem is wireless you should be able to do it with no extra equipment.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:39 am

My laptop is wireless but for the life of me the only way i can get anything to connect is running through an external router.

I wouldn't be the best at networking, and i have asked the question before about connecting directly to my laptop when it is connected to the internet to no avail.

So for me the external router works best.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous