Looking for an old game....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8356
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Looking for an old game....

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi, wonder if any of you guys can help. :)

I'm looking for an old game that I used to play a lot when I was about 15/16. I think it may have been a Lynx game but it could have been on the Mega Drive or PlayStation. If I remember rightly, you played as a little foreign guy with a moustache and he is stuck on an island at the start which seem to have a load of tortoises on it. When he eats mushrooms he grows taller and I think there was a flower that give you magic powers to shoot fireballs as well. I remember a bit where you break an egg with a baby dinosaur in it and force it to carry you around, and also a bit with a castle where you had to fight some monster at the end, then a bridge appears to another island which I think has got a haunted house on it (?).

Yeah, I know it sounds weird and my description is vague, sorry! Have been searching everywhere online for days now, tried Google, Yahoo, Ask Jeeves etc. and haven't come up with any answers. Anybody got any ideas?
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

User avatar
Sureshot
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: Mids., UK

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by Sureshot » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:51 pm

That's obviously Polybius.

User avatar
RMLF
Posts: 3210
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:54 am
Location: Lost in the Ether

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by RMLF » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:52 pm

Squirrel King?

Boy thats a toughy. Im stumped :wink:
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

User avatar
Dominoid
Posts: 497
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Plymouth

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by Dominoid » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:44 pm

Clearly it's "Custer's revenge" on the Atari 2600
Image

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8356
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:57 pm

No, it's none of those. :( It might be a bit like Custer's Revenge because I remember that the little foreign guy with the moustache has to rescue a woman (might be a princess) I think? And you can run left and right and have to dodge stuff as well. It wasn't on the Atari 2600 though I don't think. Were there any games like Custer's Revenge on the Coleco Gemini? I played on one of those a while back.

Remembered another bit about the game, the little guy could fly on some bits, he'd put a cape on and he'd run and take off like Superman. Maybe it was a Superman game? I'm just going to check.

EDIT: No, it's not a Superman game either :(
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

User avatar
martyg
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:43 am
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Contact:

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by martyg » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:51 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:It wasn't on the Atari 2600 though I don't think. Were there any games like Custer's Revenge on the Coleco Gemini? I played on one of those a while back.
The Gemini is a 2600, it's a 2600 clone. I think you mean Colecovision?

Anyways, sounds from your original description like it was one of the early Mario/Yoshi games like Super Mario World on the Super Nintendo.

Image

Image

But someone not remembering who Mario is would really scream absolute newbie around here. ;)
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

User avatar
Sureshot
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: Mids., UK

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by Sureshot » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:46 pm

Image

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3292
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by RetroBob » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:31 am

Aww maaaan that's no fun.

I was about to suggest it was Great Gianna Sisters!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
martyg
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:43 am
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Contact:

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by martyg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:05 am

Sureshot wrote:Image

Sorry, but I only can see helpless things poked with a stick for just so long.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

User avatar
aztecca
Posts: 5216
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by aztecca » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:02 am

Hmmm that game you describe there rings a bell Toxie.Just cant put my finger on it.You sure it isn't Oh Mummy on the Speccy or maybe Harrier Attack. :wink:
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by thevulture » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:19 am

:wink: Never mind the game, have you anything you want us to give you for free? Are you selling anything?.Where's the link in your post? Etc etc.Anywho, back on topic,The game sounds very much like a CD-i or Jaguar CD game to me....

User avatar
FatTrucker
Posts: 4724
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:33 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Hi, wonder if any of you guys can help. :)

I'm looking for an old game that I used to play a lot when I was about 15/16. I think it may have been a Lynx game but it could have been on the Mega Drive or PlayStation. If I remember rightly, you played as a little foreign guy with a moustache and he is stuck on an island at the start which seem to have a load of tortoises on it. When he eats mushrooms he grows taller and I think there was a flower that give you magic powers to shoot fireballs as well. I remember a bit where you break an egg with a baby dinosaur in it and force it to carry you around, and also a bit with a castle where you had to fight some monster at the end, then a bridge appears to another island which I think has got a haunted house on it (?).

Yeah, I know it sounds weird and my description is vague, sorry! Have been searching everywhere online for days now, tried Google, Yahoo, Ask Jeeves etc. and haven't come up with any answers. Anybody got any ideas?
Spare a thought for our American cousins, they don't get this kind of sarcasm and will think its a serious request....bad Dogg!.

Anyway its clearly some half ar*ed fan hack of Manic Miner.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.
Image

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:45 am

Pity those Yanks for not getting the subtle, clever British sense of humour (with a 'U') !

User avatar
ToxieDogg
Posts: 8356
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:54 am
Location: Vice City, a.k.a. 'Liverpool'

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:44 am

martyg wrote:But someone not remembering who Mario is would really scream absolute newbie around here. ;)
Image

*points in the direction of my post count and join date* :wink: :wink:

Anyway, I initially thought it might be a Mario game, but then I bought Super Mario All Stars on the Wii just before Xmas and that was meant to have all the Mario games on it but it didn't have the game I was looking for.

I did a bit more searching last night and finally found it! It was in fact 'Bandersnatch' which I think was released on the Coleco Adam (hence my confusion about the Gemini). Thanks again everyone, might pick your brains again in the future, this is a very helpful forum! :D
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 25186
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Looking for an old game....

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:58 am

Is it Battletoads?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests