running emulators on PSP

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snesfanboy

running emulators on PSP

Post by snesfanboy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:01 pm

i probably already know the answer here (and i have been searching around) but maybe someone can shed a light on this

i have a PSP 2004 (a slim one), upgraded to the latest firmware (6.35)

is it (still) possible to run emulators on it, because i've tried a MAME one and it didn't work (mentioning some crap about corrupted data)?

i do not want to start with doing fiddly things with it and maybe screwing it up completely

the answer will probably be "no, latest firmware by Sony wants to suck the fun out of everything" but maybe can give some hopeful response? :wink:

MediaCult

Re: running emulators on PSP

Post by MediaCult » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:17 pm

Just be sure to update the correct and newest software.

As far as I know you have to install non-Sony firmware in order to emulate on PSP.
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Sony's latest update was supposed to just be about adding "Qriocity" music download support, but (as usual) it's killed any hope of installing custom firmware via hacks, workarounds or glitches.

Simply put: Don't even try. You'll brick your PSP.

You can maybe try to "Downgrade" your firmware, then install custom firmware on that allows you to run "Homebrew" but what'll happen is any recently released legitimate games will probably refuse to run too, as it's not the "latest" firmware.

My advice is to buy a cheap old PSP and mod that instead. Then you'll have the best of both worlds.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

chewy

Post by chewy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:52 pm

Yeah, I'd say buy a PSP2000 or a Dingoo.

On a side note: Does anyone have any background in modding the original Xbox? I have one and looks like I'm going to have a bit of spare time, so I'm going to look into it. Just wondered what the best way to go was?