MS: 2011 is all about Kinect

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: MS: 2011 is all about Kinect

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:27 am

(Crunchy) some very good points there.Red Alert 3, Command and conq.4 very dissapointing.F.F 7 was 1st i played, but had become very tired of series by time i tried 13. Xcom...by time we were seeing Interceptor, Enforcer etc, it was Xcom in name only. Res.4 had a much needed reboot, Silent Hill went rapidly downhill after 3.Very few franchises that can 'last' beyond a trilogy unless they have a lot of fresh ideas put to them.Burnout series ran out of steam by time Dominator came out.Guessing it's the old case of 'Using the brand name'. Soon as game becomes a hit, pressure on to knock out a sequel ASAP, but so often it becomes case of 1.5 rather than true sequel.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:56 am

Tried out kinnect over xmas, its ok, not as bad as I thought it might be. If they implement it into games that use a standard controller it would be great, more than likely it will be the usual mini games though.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:48 am

I've been toying with the idea of getting a PS3 for a while now.

I've drawn up a deliberate list of PS3 exclusives that I'd like to play. What I mean by deliberate is something unique to the PS3, like LittleBigPlanet 2, and not something that's basically extremely similar to; or a blatant clone of; an Xbox 360 game. I wouldn't opt to buy a PS3 strictly for Killzone, for example.

All in all there are some choice reasons for me to buy a PS3, but at the moment it's not sufficiently worth it.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:33 pm

I must be easily pleased then as one of the main reasons I bought a PS3 is GTi Club on the PSN store :oops:

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:12 pm

SexyWayne wrote:I must be easily pleased then as one of the main reasons I bought a PS3 is GTi Club on the PSN store :oops:
I bought my first for one for Wipeout HD. Also bought my first 360 just to play Gears.

The only PS3 exclusive im looking forward to next year is Motorstorm Apocolypse.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:07 pm

C=Style wrote:
Rayne wrote:It's quite simple, the PS3 is has a much better games catalogue (particuarly of exclusives) than the 360. But the 360 has been cheaper for longer and out longer and thus now has a strangle-hold that won't be kicked off very easily.
That's fair enough if you think that but it's not fact and we know it. The 360 has a much more varied software library when you take into account Retail/XBLA/Indy/even imports. It caters to just about every single genre well. I really do not rate PS3' exclusives a great deal. Infamous was my favourite but when I went back to that again when I re-bought another PS3 I was bored stiff. Same with Killzone 2 and you know my thoughts on GoW III and Uncharted (which is good bit not great). Resistance 1/2 were very average compared to Halo and Heavy Rain is a joke.

In fact my favourite PS3 exclusive retail game is Aquanaut's Holiday funnily enough, top game but bit niche.

Demons souls is a great game if you can spend enough time with it but when then it's a dreary and depressing title, brilliant in it's own way but also gets boring. 3D Dot game Heroes was just crap compared to any Zelda game, an insult to them tbh and a horrible smarmy/Ironic sense of humour. Many of Rare's exclusive games on 360 I feel do not get the credit they so deserve. They've made some astounding games for 360 I think,. But there as we all know, that's just my own "unbalanced" and biased opinion.
TBH I agree with this. I don't think the PS3 has stood above the 360 at all. In fact I would say it is slightly above in terms of quality but saying that I feel both consoles are rather cold and dull to deal with. I don't find many games a genuine pleasure to play on both systems.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:21 pm

:? So, other than Children Of Eden, what other games are MS banking on converting a Kinnect cynic like myself, over to the system.Forza 4 just meant to have a Kinnect specific mode in it, is'nt it?.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:55 am

It's down to space. And wires.

I have so much censored plugged in under my main TV that it's like spaghetti friggin' junction down there. Any other piece of hardware I buy would basically have to compete with existing hardware for space.

The PS3 is just too darned similar to the Xbox 360 at the moment. Maybe 2011 will be the year of distinction.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:56 am

thevulture wrote::? So, other than Children Of Eden, what other games are MS banking on converting a Kinnect cynic like myself, over to the system.Forza 4 just meant to have a Kinnect specific mode in it, is'nt it?.

"Xbox ON!"
"Xbox PLAY!!"

I'll get me coat.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Is this thread actually about Kinect and it's future, or just another playground spat between fanboys? :roll: I think it'd be interesting to do a 'Pavlov's Dogs' style experiment where certain members of this forum are sat in a room and have the words 'Microsoft', 'Sony' and 'Nintendo' flashed onto the screen in front of them and see how long it takes them to start foaming at the mouth :lol:

My answer to the whole Kinect thing is simple....if it can offer me a more substantial experience than dancing/party/mini/virtual pet/keep fit games (and by that, I mean something that is actually good and not Joyride quality), then I'll be all over it. Maybe like a tramp on chips. If it doesn't, then I won't, as I can do other things like video chat just fine without it.

The Balance Board didn't revolutionise games for the Wii, so as of yet I haven't bothered with it. Ask me the same about Kinect in about 6 months, the situation with it will probably be clearer then.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:29 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Is this thread actually about Kinect and it's future, or just another playground spat between fanboys? :roll: I think it'd be interesting to do a 'Pavlov's Dogs' style experiment where certain members of this forum are sat in a room and have the words 'Microsoft', 'Sony' and 'Nintendo' flashed onto the screen in front of them and see how long it takes them to start foaming at the mouth :lol
Regarding the VS.....thing.Never understood it.As a magazine collecter, you've only to look at say ST/Amiga era.multi-platform games would so often be nigh on indentical, ST version would have weaker sound, Less colours, Maybe push scrolling, or faster 3D due to hardware differences, but nothing major. Last generation? Again, read say a Gamestm review of a Multiplatform game, you'd get comments like:' No real surprises here.all 3 ver.look virtually indentical with only the PS2 ver.looking slightly rougher around the edges'.Yet Xbox came out later, more powerful than PS2.
Last edited by thevulture on Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:26 am

(P2).Just what was supposed to change this generation, i've never quite understood.I buy MP games based on 2 main factors:Price and control scheme and 3rd lesser factor, If it's something friends and i are going to play lot of Online, it'll be PS3 ver.as 90% of us in our 'group' who own both consoles, don't pay for Xbox Gold.It's that simple. And so far, none of us even slightly interested in Kinnect or move.But like you said, Next 6 months? could be very different.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:01 am

I just started this thread to jibe the 360 :lol: god I really hate the 360..

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:59 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:The Balance Board didn't revolutionise games for the Wii, so as of yet I haven't bothered with it. Ask me the same about Kinect in about 6 months, the situation with it will probably be clearer then.
I don't think the Balance Board was meant to revolutionise anything. If anything it's typically the bullheaded "Nintendo" way.

The Nintendo Way? That would be releasing something that only they have any idea what it can be used for, and never even considering any other Developer at all. Nintendo make the best Nintendo games after all. Nintendo are old hands at designing addon kit that has only an incredibly limited - and usually Nintendo-developed - use.

I'd be surprised if they even gave a censored that anyone else even made games for their addons. Beyond the Royalties that is. Hence the Balance Board being released purely because Miyamoto had an idea he could use it for. The rest of the Industry was left to struggle with ways to either incorporate it, or ignore it completely.
Rayne wrote:I just started this thread to jibe the 360 :lol: god I really hate the 360..
It's a lump of plastic. It's also a lump of plastic that anyone could quite easily ignore.
Hating inanimate objects is almost as bad as loving them in the first place.

Now, it's the MAC users that make the easiest targets! :lol:

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Rayne wrote:http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=281686

According to Microsoft, next year is all about the use of it's new peripheral Kinect. Aside from that they also have Forza 3 & Gears 3 announced for lineup.

Hmm...Sony only has InFamous 2, Uncharted 3, The Last Guardian, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Heroes on the Move, White Knight Chronicles 2, Motorstorm 3, Twisted Metal & more.

Could this be the year where Sony not only beats the 360 (like in past years), but utterly decimates it?
It sounds like it might decimate itself. As well as it's incredible failure rate, it now had the Kinect auto-destruct add-on. Kinect blamed for 'red ring of death' Xbox 360 failures
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V