MS: 2011 is all about Kinect

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: MS: 2011 is all about Kinect

Post by thevulture » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:21 pm

The other (Balanced) point i'm going to waste time making: The press seems obsessed with game tech or graphics.What the resolution is the frame rate etc etc.L.A Noir, all the mags i've read are banging the ohhh new motion capture tech. Rage...it's Ohhhh Mega-Textures 1 Blu-ray vs 4 heavily compressed data dvds etc.well woah a minuite here.When Alien Trilogy, PS1 was previewd...Lot said about Acclaim's new Motion Capture studio (lair demo. anyone?) and the 3D modeling etc etc.Great, Pity game lacked decent Alien A.I/behaviour patterns, the essential atmosphere etc.Or Rebellion, on this years AVP..ohh brand new game engine etc etc..So what? AVP was awful..on all 3 systems.Then there's likes of Alan Wake...beautiful game, fantastic enviroments.Internet goes ape.why? It's 'only' 540P...is it any wonder i'm prefering lot of earlier gen.cames to what i'm buying on PS3/360 these days?.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:43 pm

:oops: Auctually..WTF am i doing? MS, Sony, Nintendo et all had a bloody large chunk of my hard earned in past, present and no doubt will be wanting it in future.All i would be wanting in return is some bloody amazing games,Yet MS canned Freelancer sequel on 360.Sony seem unwilling to give me the G-Police and Colony Wars PS3 games i want. And as for developers:The new Xcom game being a FPS just say's it all regarding how I.P's are treated these days. Maybe i should get shot of all my consoles, buy a mother of a gaming PC and play that there Fairy Arse game on yonder banner, in Superbloody brilliant busfare home 3D at 1080P on 3 screens at once etc. I just can't be 'doing' with another year of multi-platform games being examined in tiny detail for cosmetic differences in the magazines and online comparison sites, whilst PC mags start banging the aging console hardware holding us back even more, drum.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Rayne wrote:It's quite simple, the PS3 is has a much better games catalogue (particuarly of exclusives) than the 360.
No it doesn't and you would be daft to think that. The 360 has by far the larger catalogue with many exclusives which far outstrip the PS3 and it's been like that for some time.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Lorfarius wrote:
Rayne wrote:It's quite simple, the PS3 is has a much better games catalogue (particuarly of exclusives) than the 360.
No it doesn't and you would be daft to think that. The 360 has by far the larger catalogue with many exclusives which far outstrip the PS3 and it's been like that for some time.
Quality to tat ratio is better is probably what he means.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:13 pm

Lorfarius wrote:
Always found kinda odd that whilst sony has/Had far more in-house teams it was lacking on number of exclusives.Course, swings and roundabout situation these days, Bungie/Bioware going multi-format means PS3 will be getting same titles as 360 and whilst PS3 missed out on say Dead Rising and Condemend, it got the sequels, Sony seemed not to give a damn about say GTA4 DLC or MW 2 Map Packs etc getting timed exclusives, content to let MS nab them.Anywho, really do need both consoles to get the very best line up methinks.Pricey at times, but..gotta go where the games you want are.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:15 pm

:wink: Re:Quality Vs Tat:Only have to look at the what game did you like/Others hate thread to see how we all differ on what we as individuals class as quality/Tat.

andyc

Post by andyc » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:25 pm

speedlolita wrote:Lazy, lazy developers is why the PS3 is "suffering".
Not that fair a comment. Sony figured it was ok to overburden developers with a overly complicated and unusual hardware design in order to try and win marketing points, after all they were #1 in the console market so why not? Oddly the same tactic Sega tried and look how mucch good it did them.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:34 am

I've just enjoyed seeing 3 systems doing well on the Market (to relative degrees), with hopefully none going bust, I do wonder if Apple will ever join the Market or have they already done so with the iTouch and iPad? Can't see the release of a new system for at least 2 more years...

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:21 am

Rayne wrote:
It's quite simple, the PS3 is has a much better games catalogue (particuarly of exclusives)
than the 360. But the 360 has been cheaper for longer and out longer and thus now has a strangle-hold that won't be kicked off very easily.

I was a 360 nut until my 3rd one broke, it takes a while for common sense to hit home :lol:

Like what? try and limit it to three first person shooters :P

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:25 am

Developers are taking flak from gamers and not just from PS3 owners finding thier version of a game runs on the same old aging game engine, written for quick port, not specifically for PS3 hardware.The PC crowd (rightly) getting fed up.Say you pay £200 for a DX 10 or DX 11 gragphics card, whack your memory upto 5GB or more, your still getting games written for low end PC's running DX 9.Why? Because developers switched to making consoles the lead development platform, games have to be written for aging hardware with very limited memory compared to PC and whilst there are cosmeric differences, they are'nt really the leaps you'd hope for, having spent the extra cash.Developers say it's hard to justify spending time and money optimising a game for PS3 or cutting edge PC cards as in todays cut throat market, even glowing reviews do not mean game is going to be a hit, sales wise, then there's lost sales due to piracy etc etc.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:33 am

'Wisdom' from industry seems to be:won't see anything in terms of new consoles under TV until 2013.Wonder just how much further 360/PS3 will be pushed by then?.Bungie did steriling job with the Halo Reach Engine, but things like Mass Effect 3, Gears 3, just using 'improved' versions of Unreal 3 Engine (bit sharper, steadier code, less glitches etc).Wonder how further it can go?.On PS3 with it's exclusives/written for hardware games, Already see Wipeout HD 'cheat' with geometry resizing etc to keep frame rate up for 1080P visuals.Killzone 3:using same engine as Killzone 2, no doubt tweaked, so will look great, but noyt a leap as such.Uncharted series:1st game used 2 of PS3's SPU's.2nd used ALL 6, so noticablle leap.3rd using all 6 again, but optimising code for each.Where can they tweak for a 4th game on PS3?.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:43 am

Reading through the thread I still find it gently amusing that some adults carry the fanboy gene over from childhood. As a gamer your best option is to own each of the consoles maximising your options and flexibility, if you can't afford more than one then you pick the one that hosts the most exclusive titles that appeal. To laud one over the other though is a bit pointless, its like buying a Ferrari to go offroading, completely pointless, you purchase a system based on its fitness for purpose rather than as an arbitrary symbol of clannish alliance and status.

Developers, publishers and everyone in between have a vested interest in technology becoming more and more standardised. Development is such a complicated and expensive process now that the days of developing for hundreds of different hardware configurations and systems are slowly fading away. Now that the PS3 and 360 are into their 'mature' phase, porting should become a far less complicated affair and because of the high R&D costs involved in producing a new system it seems more likely that there will be a continuance of updates to the current core systems rather than a completely new one in the next few years. The only exception might be the Wii which being based on last gen tech is starting to look significantly long in the tooth by comparison.

This should lead to more innovation and creativity in the games being released as rather than having to focus on coaxing the secrets from new hardware or developing a new engine that pushes eleventy gazillion pixels per second, developers can use mature engines and libraries and devote the lions share of the development process to the games design and narrative.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:58 am

Change in management at Sony also helped turn things around, Gone were Ken Kut. and his quotes of PS3 power and how it was being sold too cheaply etc.Sony then actively started to help developers get thier head around the PS3 hardware.To a great degree they got away with having nightmare hardware with the PS2 (at a time DC, GC were developer friendly), by having the power of the Playstation brand.Developers could'nt afford to ignore the huge user base.With PS3...MS stole a lot of Sony's thunder.Launching 1st, with developer friendly, powerful hardware gave them the lions share, factor in Sony passing up on chance to make things like A.Creed and GTA4 Sony Exclusives, Doing little with PS3 Eyetoy or Move (in development since early PS2 days) until MS came in with Kinnect and you can see just how much ground they've had to make up.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:07 am

FatTrucker wrote:Reading through the thread I still find it gently amusing that some adults carry the fanboy gene over from childhood.
Well at least it''s raising a smile for you still, it stopped amusing me aeons ago.

On the Kinect thing it's hardly surprising Microsoft are going to be putting plenty of effort into that product. I'm expecting Kinect to feature heavily in my household in the coming year because my wife thinks it's brilliant. Me, I'm currently just seeing a whole world of meh with it but it isn't something I'm overly concerned about. I own a 360 and a PS3, I play on both, I'll just continue buying games for both, same old same old. There isn't a great deal of future releases I'm excited about but I've got such a huge back catalogue of unplayed games to choose from so this is also something I'm not too fussed about.

One thing I will say is that there's a lot of games mentioned in this thread that have the numbers 3, 4 or 5 after them. Not a good sign when it comes to me buying them. Franchises get on my tits after three games usually. It's very rare that I'll go for a 4. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a game with a 5 after it. A 6 or 7 can truly kiss my backside unless I have't played numbers 1 through 5.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:23 am

Rayne wrote:It's quite simple, the PS3 is has a much better games catalogue (particuarly of exclusives) than the 360. But the 360 has been cheaper for longer and out longer and thus now has a strangle-hold that won't be kicked off very easily.
That's fair enough if you think that but it's not fact and we know it. The 360 has a much more varied software library when you take into account Retail/XBLA/Indy/even imports. It caters to just about every single genre well. I really do not rate PS3' exclusives a great deal. Infamous was my favourite but when I went back to that again when I re-bought another PS3 I was bored stiff. Same with Killzone 2 and you know my thoughts on GoW III and Uncharted (which is good bit not great). Resistance 1/2 were very average compared to Halo and Heavy Rain is a joke.

In fact my favourite PS3 exclusive retail game is Aquanaut's Holiday funnily enough, top game but bit niche.

Demons souls is a great game if you can spend enough time with it but when then it's a dreary and depressing title, brilliant in it's own way but also gets boring. 3D Dot game Heroes was just crap compared to any Zelda game, an insult to them tbh and a horrible smarmy/Ironic sense of humour. Many of Rare's exclusive games on 360 I feel do not get the credit they so deserve. They've made some astounding games for 360 I think,. But there as we all know, that's just my own "unbalanced" and biased opinion.
Last edited by C=Style on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.