MS: 2011 is all about Kinect

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Freestyler

Re: MS: 2011 is all about Kinect

Post by Freestyler » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:08 pm

I'll buy one pre-owned. But only if Microsoft doesn't charge me for an activation code! :P

This isn't actually a joke. Cash Generator by me already has two of the buggers for sale. As does CeX.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:15 pm

Hmm. Interesting answers.

As far as using it goes, space with it isn't an issue for me at all, I've got a through-lounge and my sofa is along the side wall so I got more than the required 6ft spare space to play with. I've also got some spare cash sitting in my account and could go and buy one tommorow if I wanted to. But the voice in my head, whether it's common sense or whatever keeps screaming 'NO!' at me. :? And this is coming from a person who really enjoys motion control in games when it's employed correctly....all in all, Wii Sports Resort is one of the most played games I've got.

Child Of Eden does look good, and I'm sure Gunstringer will be fun. But other than that......? Would my £100+ investment let me play more than 2 games I'm likely to be interested in for more than a day or two? I'm not a bit @rsed about the videochat/voice command functions. Or posting crazy pictures or videos of myself using it on Facebook or Youtube.

I dunno. I'm surprised it's gathered enough momentum to help the 360 outsell the Wii, although that's possibly due in part to market saturation (most people who want a Wii must own one by now) and the sheer amount of casuals who only bought a Wii for Wii Sports/Wii Fit just moving onto something else...i'd be interested to know if there is a spike in 360 software sales in accordance with the hardware sales bought about by Kinect, for instance.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:10 am

I've only played Kinect Sports and really enjoyed it. The production on that game is top notch too, like the snippets of licenced music are well implemented.

solidsnake

Post by solidsnake » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:31 am

We traded in our one towards a 3ds - mainly because its not got anything to offer over the Wii

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:43 am

Kinect Sports really is a lot of fun. Very responsive too which is massively important. You really, really do need at least 6 feet though or It will not work. The system will warn you when you move too close also. Yes, limited games at the moment but it's a decent piece of hardware actually.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:16 am

ToxieDogg wrote: I dunno. I'm surprised it's gathered enough momentum to help the 360 outsell the Wii, although that's possibly due in part to market saturation (most people who want a Wii must own one by now) and the sheer amount of casuals who only bought a Wii for Wii Sports/Wii Fit just moving onto something else...i'd be interested to know if there is a spike in 360 software sales in accordance with the hardware sales bought about by Kinect, for instance.
Ha, you've probably noticed the same odd thing I have. There's no software spike. In fact, the attach rate for the Kinect looks pretty weak. The biggest "debate" going on in my usual forum haunt concerns the way Microsoft is presenting it's Kinect figures. That kinect is getting into plenty of homes is undeniable, but there's some spin in there that suggests Kinect is increasing the installed 360 userbase somehow. Yet there's obviously a lot of people trading out their old and tired 360 and trading up to the Kinect bundle ... and then carrying on with their usual "hardcore" gaming and totally ignoring Kinect while they wait for better games. I think the way the casuals are buying into it is being overstated.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:16 am

Once you stop censored about and do a combined Xbox/Kinect machine then we can talk about attachment rates Mictrosoft! Really, unless they have sales figures that show Kinect being bought by the same person at the same time as an Xbox they can't really say anything definitive.

Selling 1m Kinects and 1m Xbox 360's doesn't necessarily mean they were bought by the same people, so it's a difficult one to call.

What is indisputable though is the ease at which non-gamers can use Kinect. Nintendo struck gold when they made their Wiimote the shape of an actual tv remote because everyone and their mamma knows how to operate one. It's instinctive. Wiggling your arms in front of a TV screen is also amazingly intuitive. I'm always laughing at the people in GAME having a go! :lol: None of them care that they're flailing about like baboons though, they're just having a lot of fun.

Kinect isn't for single players I think. It's for laughing at each other while pulling silly expressions trying to bowl a ball. :P
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:59 am

Not fussed as will only get a 360 when it's a ridiculously low price so I can play xbox/xbox360 games on it that I missed out on. Am personally never going to pick up a microsoft console in the current gen ever!

As for lack of big games, not fussed, it allows me to go pick up back catalogues i've missed out on! Bargain!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

sg1000

Post by sg1000 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:00 am

Kinect is well, it's censored. I don't like it.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:30 am

i have had no interest in the kinect from day one
and i still have no interest now motion gaming is just not for me
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !