That's not a collection, THIS is a collection!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Blumf

That's not a collection, THIS is a collection!

Post by Blumf » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:41 am

http://doubleplusgoodgames.com/?p=748

Interview with some chap going by the name of BryceCorp about his simply staggering collection.

There is also over 150 minutes of Youtube footage, where he goes through the collection fairly rapidly.
The impression is also given that each part of the collection is housed in various ancient structures, maybe that's part of the retro feel.
Sometimes you need to say what needs saying, most times you just need to shut up and listen.

speedlolita

Re: That's not a collection, THIS is a collection!

Post by speedlolita » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:47 am

Sega Saturn backpack is literally the coolest thing ever.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:56 am

All those games.

Can he say that he has played every one?

Massive collections look impressive, but thats all. Having 100+ games and only ever playing 10 of them is a waste money/space

TheSpeedOfSex

Post by TheSpeedOfSex » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Massive collections like those look like a regular video game store and a comic book store put together. They look good until you see stores in Akihabara. But that was an impressive collection nonetheless.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:31 pm

There doesn't seem to be a way of seeing what he has without watching hours of videos, so I can't really comment on what he has. Is there a list anywhere?
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:20 pm

DPrinny wrote:Massive collections look impressive, but thats all. Having 100+ games and only ever playing 10 of them is a waste money/space
Couldn't agree more. If the games one plays eventually turns into a collection, that's great. But collecting them just for the sake of collecting.....

Games are made to be played. Collectors nearly always bore me to death.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:21 am

Vyothric wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Massive collections look impressive, but thats all. Having 100+ games and only ever playing 10 of them is a waste money/space
Couldn't agree more. If the games one plays eventually turns into a collection, that's great. But collecting them just for the sake of collecting.....

Games are made to be played. Collectors nearly always bore me to death.
Don't get me wrong, I buy games to play them, or to relive a few moments of nostalgia (when a title turns out to not live up to my fond memories) but I've got to say that I am staggered that anyone on this forum would have the response you 2 have had to this blokes collection.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:25 am

To be fair to te bloke, he wants to create a gaming museum.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:47 am

GigaPepsiMan wrote:To be fair to te bloke, he wants to create a gaming museum.
Agreed. It is a gaming museum.

To be honest If I had the cash, I would buy for the sake of it. I'd have a full on arcade as well, with titles in it I don't even like.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:51 am

Well if it is for a museum then ok

If I had the money.........I probably wouldn't be living where I am

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:01 am

Some Art Collectors pay millions of pounds for Paintings and Sculptures, and then lock them away in underground vaults, never to see the light of day.

Human Beings are really descended from Magpies. We love to hoard stuff for no other reason than we can.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:28 am

If one has more money than sense, which is often the case. I don't think it's something to be admired though. Especially so with things like games that actually have a use. Why they don't just collect stamps instead.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:04 am

Actually, If I see a megadrive game I dont have, I'll buy it. I'm not like it with any other of my consoles (most of which I play far more - like my NES, or SNES) But with the megadrive, I'll buy up anything that happens into my way.
My reasons for doing so are sort of deep seated, and have a lot to do with my childhood. When I was growing up I really wanted a massive MD collection, and we were real poor, so it didnt really happen. I guess I'm just satisfying that little boy - Maybe this bloke is doing the same thing.
Also, a lot of my MD games are totally not for me, but other friends love them. I guess that's when it pays off to have a indiscriminate game collection. :)

ninjabearhug

Post by ninjabearhug » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:10 pm

He has a V nice collection, I've drooled over his vids a few times in the past! I particularly like how he has them set out so you can see the covers rather than the spines, wish I had that much space!!!
If one has more money than sense, which is often the case. I don't think it's something to be admired though. Especially so with things like games that actually have a use. Why they don't just collect stamps instead.
Some collector's play games too you know. Full set collecting is just like playing a real life version of pokemon, gotta catch em all :P. It's great fun, not quite as much fun as playing them all though!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:20 pm

It's not really that much different to owning a complete collection of William Shakespeare Plays, or Inspector Frost DVDs, except - by the hobby's standards - there are many many more individual items to a "complete" collection.

Owning "Every single NES Game ever made" is a much harder feat than collecting Inspector Morse (even if you're intent on getting all the books, DVDs, VHS, Laserdiscs, etc) even if you try to get the Radio 4 Plays as well! :lol:

Extending the above analogy further; there's no real significant reason to get a series on different formats (barring the odd edited scene) but the real reason it is done is because the person collecting them wants to.

And that's usually motivation enough. :wink:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.