Acorn A3010 jumpers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

chaoticjelly

Acorn A3010 jumpers

Post by chaoticjelly » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:14 pm

Ive got an Acorn A3010 with 3 meg RAM expansion, I took the RAM out but the A3010 wont work without it in, I think its because theres jumpers, and they have to be configured in a certain way when the expansion is in, so if I take the expansion RAM out, they have to be put back.

Only thing is, I didnt install this expansion so im not sure what the "stock" setting for the jumpers is?

Does anyone have any clues, I found a PDF file for the installation of the RAM, but it doesnt say what the jumpers should be in the first place:

http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/AU1M30 ... %20lk20%22

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:40 am

Not sure if this helps: but the A3010 has 1MB RAM of stock memory, so although I don't know the jumper configuration, at least you have an idea what the stock memory configuration should be!

I'll dig out my A3010 manuals tonight and see if there's any details in them!

broton

Post by broton » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:59 am

And there's me hoping to buy some Acorn based knitwear! I'm all disappointed now.

jumpman

Re:

Post by jumpman » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:18 am

broton wrote:And there's me hoping to buy some Acorn based knitwear! I'm all disappointed now.
Yeah, can anybody in here knit?

filecore

Post by filecore » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:17 pm

Remember, that Simtec link assumes you have a Simtec memory upgrade, so double-check that you do have a simtec upgrade as others were available.

Trying to decipher the sheet, it looks like the CAP on LK20 should always be there. (Note they say 'check' not 'move to').

I would maybe try moving the LK22 one to position 1-2.

Also always after a hardware config change, do a power-on-reset (hold down delete when you switch on until the RISC OS welcome screen appears).

If none of this helps, you should check out the comp.sys.acorn.hardware newsgroup. (Google groups works OK) . Either post a message or search the vast archives.

Cheers!

chaoticjelly

Re:

Post by chaoticjelly » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:03 pm

Thanks a lot filecore,

I tried what you suggested and it works perfectly now!

The memory upgrade from before was definitly a Simtec

I tried what you suggested before I posted here actually EXCEPT, I didnt know that you had to hold down delete upon powerup...

Thanks again! :wink:

CJ
filecore wrote:Remember, that Simtec link assumes you have a Simtec memory upgrade, so double-check that you do have a simtec upgrade as others were available.

Trying to decipher the sheet, it looks like the CAP on LK20 should always be there. (Note they say 'check' not 'move to').

I would maybe try moving the LK22 one to position 1-2.

Also always after a hardware config change, do a power-on-reset (hold down delete when you switch on until the RISC OS welcome screen appears).

If none of this helps, you should check out the comp.sys.acorn.hardware newsgroup. (Google groups works OK) . Either post a message or search the vast archives.

Cheers!