Are people finally warming to digital distribution?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

Re: Are people finally warming to digital distribution?

Post by C=Style » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:11 pm

Personally speaking I've never had too much of a problem with DD myself. It's convenient, save space, it's tidy and nice to have it all in one box. Sure, I wouldn't want tangible media to go completely out of the window, but a game is a game at the end of the day. Though I never really saw any personal value in disks (CD/DVD), if cartridges were still about them you might be getting a different answer from me as they are lovely and collectable to my tastes.

Having said this, I'm not massively materialistic, so long as I can play the game then I'm happy enough. I've bought and spent loads of XBLA and DLC etc. I don't really worry like some people if I cannot play them in 100 years time as, well... we know the answer to that one.

In the big scheme of things, having a shelf full of games is nice, but it's not important, it's frivolous. I'm gonna have to trim my GC games down after Christmas because I don't want to turn into one of "them" types of gamers you know what I mean. ;) 50 top original games is more than enough for me. No offence mean't toward anyone else here, different strokes and all.

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote: We download the cracked versions and play them via emulation, same as we do with all the cabs we've been cut off from.
Like your thinking! :D
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:34 pm

What I like about DD is, it's instant.

I'm an inpatient guy.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:30 am

speedlolita wrote:I'm an inpatient guy.
Say hi to GetDexter for me ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:51 am

speedlolita wrote:
resident paul wrote:Still like physical copy of the game as digital downloads as subject your HDD not f*cking up & have to pay again whereabouts a physical copy you can play again & again without the hassle.
Except, you can just redownload.
Unless its iTunes. While all the other DD services link your purchases to your account and allow you to retrieve lost, or corrupted items, with iTunes you have to physically back up your stuff to a disc otherwise if you suffer a failure and lose anything you've bought, they require you to buy it again. Their prices aren't massively dissimilar to physical copy and if you've got to back them up to physical media anyway then it makes buying from iTunes a complete waste of time. Shame because in all other respects its an excellent service.

So while I'm perfectly happy to pay my money to M$, Steam and GOG, I no longer purchase anything from iTunes directly.

As for the 'when the servers die its gone' argument, while it certainly has some merit in terms of Retrogaming for the future and clearly one of the benefits to the publishers is that it will slowly kill the pre-owned market to which they lose so much money, the other side of that particular coin is that with modern consoles, with all the heat and moving parts, they aren't going to last the way solid state consoles of old did anyway, this will have a far more significant impact on Retrogaming in the future.

In terms of emulation, in all honesty I can't really see a point in the future where it will happen on the kind of scale or speed that it has to date. Simply because thermal limits have now put the brakes on Moores Law, and the current advances in PC technology are no longer pulling away from consoles at the same rate as in years past making emulation immeasurably more prohibitive. There's also the fact that with PC, Console and Mobile tech becoming more and more convergent, if the current trend continues towards tablet PC's and handheld devices containing static technology, there won't be the same kind of market for traditional upgradeable desktop PC's making it entirely possible that there will never be home PC's with the grunt required to properly emulate the PS3 and 360.
Finally there's the issue with the direction things will move in future. The focus is moving away from processor speed and advancement in graphics tech and becoming increasingly focussed on the way we display and interact with games. As the race for speed and visual excellence slows, games will become more focussed on narrative and experience (hopefully) and that will be heavily dependent on peripheral and display technology specific to the console, making emulation of future titles a pretty empty and pointless endeavour without the original hardware.

Something like that anyway.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:13 am

I have definately. I still find it annoying that I have to pay the same price for new Steam game than a retail release, so I don't buy full price releases unless it's a title I really really want. I also want the games nowadays to use Steamworks, so that when I do get them in store, I can activate them on Steam and thus put the disc back in the case in my collection.

Also, digital distribution have also opened up for more indie games, and more games from companies that actually cares about making games and not just about making money. Creativity and diversity has blossomed lately because of this, and really reminds me of the good old days when games weren't a billion dollar industry. Not just on Steam, but on consoles too. It's easier to get games released now, thanks to no need for publishers willing to sacrifice resources. This used to be near computer exclusive.
Not to mention, digital distribution has brought adventure games back to being a somewhat commercial success with the likes of Telltale releasing episodic titles regularly on several platforms - as well as older studios polishing up their old games, like Broken Sword and LucasArts. All this is thanks to digital distribution.

I think it's also helping (a tiny bit) against piracy. I like the idea of just downloading the game and play, without need to go out and buy it. You know, the convenience of it. Before, though, downloading games was almost exclusively for pirates. Now, I can buy and download games legally.

Also, I know a lot of people are saying that you don't know what the future will hold, so having a physical copy is kind of an insurance. Well, no. Because, I'm fairly sure that there's a greater chance of damaging or losing your discs than Steam becoming bankrupt or the internet suddenly to cease exist.

Digital Distributions have opened up for a whole lot of opportunities for gamers and developers alike, but change always comes with a cost. But in this case, I feel that the advantages you gain are far greater than the cost.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:18 pm

Hmmmm....not really a fan tbh.

The thing what put me off was when my first Wii was nicked....loads of downloaded games on it....gone, just like that! :( OK some physical games were nicked too, but were replaced under insurance. I couldn't even remember how many games i'd downloaded to my Wii, let alone all the titles....so i lost all those with no recompense.

Not good.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:36 pm

nokgod wrote:The thing what put me off was when my first Wii was nicked....loads of downloaded games on it....gone, just like that! :( OK some physical games were nicked too, but were replaced under insurance. I couldn't even remember how many games i'd downloaded to my Wii, let alone all the titles....so i lost all those with no recompense.
Did Nintendo Customer Services not sort that out? If it'd been registered at the address etc, I'd have thought they'd have been understanding. They were more than excellent with my DS issues.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:55 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
nokgod wrote:The thing what put me off was when my first Wii was nicked....loads of downloaded games on it....gone, just like that! :( OK some physical games were nicked too, but were replaced under insurance. I couldn't even remember how many games i'd downloaded to my Wii, let alone all the titles....so i lost all those with no recompense.
Did Nintendo Customer Services not sort that out? If it'd been registered at the address etc, I'd have thought they'd have been understanding. They were more than excellent with my DS issues.
Well Ant, i didn't think to do that at the time :oops: Later, when i thought about it, because i couldn't remember what i'd got, i just thought they'd tell me to take a walk.....would they have replaced what i'd got then? Jeez, you can tell i'm not in the groove with current gen, can't you? :roll:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

andyc

Post by andyc » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:42 am

nokgod wrote: Well Ant, i didn't think to do that at the time :oops: Later, when i thought about it, because i couldn't remember what i'd got, i just thought they'd tell me to take a walk.....would they have replaced what i'd got then? Jeez, you can tell i'm not in the groove with current gen, can't you? :roll:
It's unfortunate, but it does make the point that the value of different digital distribution mechanisms varies. If you'd done the same thing with xbox live you'd have recovered your downloads without having to re-pay for them even without the hassle of ringing up customer support. There's a lot to be said for making things like this simple and obvious (even xbox live could still be improved). Nintendo's offering, much like most of their online stuff, is rather lacking in this respect unfortunately.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:35 am

The only problem (well, not the only problem) with Digital Downloads is the censored huge file sizes!! :shock:

Yes it might seem reasonable to be asked to download a gig or two of data, but games these days can very easily bloom into ten, fifteen or even twenty gigabyte monsters! That's a huge amount of data! If that alone doesn't make your knickers wet then imagine the data download needed for a Steam compilation pack of twenty or so games. That's MASSIVE! :shock: :?

Here comes the catch:
Show me a Broadband provider that doesn't have a nastily restrictive Fair Usage Policy. My own provider caps my "Full Speed Broadband" down to 10% speed if I download more than 1.5gb during the daytime. Yes, one point five gigabytes.

They are going out of their way to make sure customers who constantly use VOIP, BBCiPlayer and streaming video services get priority (without incurring the dreaded "Fair Use" restriction) but large chunks of what they call "Data" very much comes into the policy's remit. Basically if users need to watch online TV then your service gets chopped, not theirs.

That's perfectly acceptable for Internet use. But it's terrible when you have a download of 400 gigabytes waiting...
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:15 am

You could always try Virgin's 50mb BB which has no capping.... but your 360 won't download fook all with it :roll:

When I had it, I couldn't download anything, on the 360 I just kept getting lockups during downloading and mega lag even using Last FM :roll:

I complained about it, had a engineer see the problems with his own eyes... and get told there's nothing wrong :roll:

There's a thread knocking around on here somewhere...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:07 am

Its not a cap, its a speed limit.

BT do it to me. I've got an unlimited account, but because I download more than 60Gb (or is it 80Gb, I forget?) every month then they limit my download speed at peak times (mostly impacting on weekday evenings).

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:19 am

With Talk Talk myself, Usual fair usage policy (which is'nt issue for myself, other than odd PSN/XBL game and patches, don't download films or music), But daytime downloading a nightmare as traffic shaping (is that the term?) kicks in as ye olde world B.T exchange across the road struggles to cope.All well n good about B.T banging on about B.T Infinity fibre optic broadband, but when are they going to update the local telephone exchanges?.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:06 am

SexyWayne wrote:You could always try Virgin's 50mb BB which has no capping.... but your 360 won't download fook all with it :roll:

When I had it, I couldn't download anything, on the 360 I just kept getting lockups during downloading and mega lag even using Last FM :roll:

I complained about it, had a engineer see the problems with his own eyes... and get told there's nothing wrong :roll:

There's a thread knocking around on here somewhere...
I'm on Virign 10mb and I've had no problems with that, is it something specific to the 50mb one then?
Splink!