Are people finally warming to digital distribution?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Are people finally warming to digital distribution?

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:53 pm

Been very interesting this week to read all the positive stuff on this forum regarding XBLA, GOG, PSN, Wii Ware etc. I remember a few years back on here (this is my 2nd ID, I lost/fcucked up my original HalcyonDaze account) most people being up in arms about the likes of XBLA promising to never buy anything etc.

Now, it seems, lots on here seem quite content to be buying stuff via digital distribution and are positively enthusiastic about all the great stuff being released. I'm not saying people want to see digital distribution replace buying from the shops etc, I know that isn't the case, but it does seem like more people are now happy to be buying games via downloads.

Perhaps people still don't like it, but with so many classic games being released it is simply a case of cutting your nose off to spite your face if you refuse to buy anything. I mean, it's got to be easier and cheaper to download Radiant Silvergun via XBLA than it is to track down the original?

Whatever the reasons, it's been very interesting to see shift in attitudes..........

Rayne

Re: Are people finally warming to digital distribution?

Post by Rayne » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:56 pm

I don't agree with digital distribution and nor do I champion it.

At the same time, when games of genuine quality are released (for less than a tenner) then I will purchase, play and enjoy. That doesn't change the fact that I'd still much rather have them on disc though.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:42 pm

:wink: In 'warming' terms:Wind chill gone, but still below freezing myself. Don't get me wrong, likes of Joe Danger, Shadow Complex, Shatter, Gravity Crash etc superb, but IF i could have picked them up on disc as well as DL, it'd have been disc each and everytime.Some of the HD re-issues (if that's the right word?), have'nt even bothered to resize image for widescreen, so there's still a lot of work to be down for myself to be convinced.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:42 pm

Not really, people have settled in to the idea that download games are shorter and have less play time but only cost a tenner or less. They're the milky way of games, snacks between proper games. No one wants to pay £20 -30 for retail games on download, how many people are actualy buying from the games on demand service?

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm not warming to it myself.
Yes I'll pay 59p for an iPhone game, but I'd never pay £40 for a download.

It's one thing to pay the equivalent price of a Mars Bar for a game, but for bigger amounts of money I want something I can physically hold in my hand. I always have the fear that my console/computer will crash and I'll lose my purchase.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Not really, people have settled in to the idea that download games are shorter and have less play time but only cost a tenner or less. They're the milky way of games, snacks between proper games. No one wants to pay £20 -30 for retail games on download, how many people are actualy buying from the games on demand service?
A very good point, but I still maintain that anybody who has been around these forums for the last 3-4 years will have definitely seen people become less hostile (if not quite friendly) towards digital distribution.

I would also say that rather than being a "gaming snack", lot's of the digital downloads are far, far better than some of the full price games. Stuff like Shadow Complex, Geometry Wars 2, Pinball Fx 2 etc are so far ahead of many full price games it's embarrassing.

Having £40 to spend via PSN or XBLA will probably give you more entertainment and value for money than buying a full priced box game...........

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:35 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:Not really, people have settled in to the idea that download games are shorter and have less play time but only cost a tenner or less. They're the milky way of games, snacks between proper games. No one wants to pay £20 -30 for retail games on download, how many people are actualy buying from the games on demand service?
A very good point, but I still maintain that anybody who has been around these forums for the last 3-4 years will have definitely seen people become less hostile (if not quite friendly) towards digital distribution.

I would also say that rather than being a "gaming snack", lot's of the digital downloads are far, far better than some of the full price games. Stuff like Shadow Complex, Geometry Wars 2, Pinball Fx 2 etc are so far ahead of many full price games it's embarrassing.

Having £40 to spend via PSN or XBLA will probably give you more entertainment and value for money than buying a full priced box game...........
Agree, I'm currently downloading Gravity Crash for my PSP as I type. It opens the way for genre's & experimentation that wouldn't be seen in retail games. Add Patchwork Heroes, Pac-Man CE, & Alien Zombie Death to that list together with some others on PSN & Xbox live (Limbo etc). Not being ripped off by Game is another considerable plus.
Last edited by Nemesis on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:36 pm

i consider it like the vhs to dvd/vinyl to cd transformation.We always have some game that wont get a release and be forced to go down the illegal route to play it.Course i think anybody under ten years old will probably warm to distribution.
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:39 pm

The only DLC things I actively like are the likes of the humble inde bundle and Steam.

The rest can go and suck my manly penis.

And they better join the end of the line as theres a que a mile long for things that can

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:43 pm

I will only buy DLC if there is no physical media option available for that game, for example the XBLA games/remakes..but I will not pay for the Games On Demand Service, which are very often over priced compared to the actual boxed games....I think they have got that idea wrong, they should be encouraging people to by Games On Demand with cheaper prices.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:00 pm

I don't mind paying less than a tenner for a game on XBLA, but I'd never pay more.

In regards to addition content (in regard to levels) for a video game, I'd have to be drunk to purchase any.

I don't mind buying characters in BlazBlue Continuum Shift because i invest a lot of time in the game. I know it's stupid paying the money but that's my choice.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:05 pm

I have more XBLA games on my Xbox than I do on discs. Mainly because I really like the indie games and other games that may have never been released in physical form. It's a big risk for an indie developer to arrange to have their games sold on discs, whereas having it available for digital download means that you don't have to worry about getting too many / not enough discs made. There are some bloody brilliant 80 point games as well :D

I also like the fact that almost any game on XBLA has a demo version that you can try out. It absolutely, definitely has it's advantages over physical products.

However, I don't think I'd spend more than 1,200 points (about a tenner) on one game though. Any major games, I'd definitely buy on disc.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:27 pm

I've bought a fair wack from GOG so I suppose I agree with digital distribution. :)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:31 pm

i am stil complete and utterly cold towards it
i wil buy retro games on the virtual console but that is it
i wil not buy dlc nor games on xbla psn gog or steam
i want an orginal cd or dvd and if i cant have it that way never mind then

the only good thing i find is that with the reissues the prices of formerly hard to obtain games are dropping down hard
and the scalpers are out of luck
but thats for me the only positive thing
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Buying games on the virtual console is digital distribution.
Logged out 15/07/2014.