Future Rarities - Thiskidplaysgames.com

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: Future Rarities - Thiskidplaysgames.com

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:57 pm

speedlolita wrote:Regional rarity to me is completely stupid, but hey!

Games limited to one region and are rare would be classed as rare to me, paying extra for a region is stupid.
But I thought you solely bought NTSC titles, despite living in PAL land? Is that not correct?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:44 pm

That would be correct, it's very unlikely that a game is cheaper in PAL version for me - unless it's shmups.

My reasoning for buying NTSC titles is superior & faithful (to the original) video quite simply. And for that reason I fall into that stupidity category. :D
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:55 pm

NTSC and superior video should never be in the same sentence ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:58 pm

Perhaps, but when it's faithful to the production of the game I'd rather go for the lower resolution. That's the only shortfall, and low colour count or some censored. But enough on that.

Not a fan of localisation, however many would be considered future rarities due to low production numbers. The recent PAL release of GGXXAC+ might have some value in future for example.

But buying it on that assumption is a little jaded.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Megamixer wrote:What about the PAL version? That was a Nintendo Club exclusive. I pad about £15 for a complete copy on ebay which might have been steep but it's certainly uncommon. I know the disc-only copy came with the Coloseum Mega Pak (I have that too) but the one in the proper case is different.
You would think so, but I've seen them being sold pretty cheaply on eBay. The US version of Pokemon Box complete, with the memory card intact and unused, and including the outer cardboard box and link cable, still goes for over $150. It used to be over $250 in the past.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:11 pm

I wouldnt recommend ever buying games in the hope of them increasing in value. The more we see digital distribution and the frightening way in which DVDs seem to physically deteriorate means that there are many other things that are worth collecting than vcurrent or previous gen.video-games.

Which games will be worth a lot in a few years , well apart from the obvious ultra limited-edition high-profile character titles, it's a completel lottery but if you stick to buying games released in only limited quantities (if you can somehow find that information out) I guess you couldnt go far wrong.

Best not to bother though. Buy games you enjoy , play them & keep them so you can play them again
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:53 am

I can understand why people could be against the idea of buying a game in hope that it may gain value over time

But if you look at past examples, a sealed copy of near on any PlayStation One, N64, Dreamcast game has gained value. SNES games have gained infinite value haha

These posts are hopefully going to be informative, and better still unlike anything else on the net. I'm full fo beans again, and i want to push thiskidplaysgames.com as much as i can

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:21 am

Like this thread although I don't think I have much to offer on it. I got that PS2 game Trapt for £1 from CEX a couple of months ago. PS3 - I have the import copy of Demon's Souls which may be worth a bit in the future, Valkirya Chronicles will be worth something too.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:55 pm

Shinobi wrote:Gamecube I'd say Killer 7, Twilight Princess , Resi 2,3 and Code Veronica, Fire Emblem, Summoner Goddess Reborn, Skies of Arcadia, Baton Kaos and Tales of Symthonia
I personally would change that slightly to not include Summoner as whilst it can sometimes be hard to come across I really wouldn't expect to pay more than a tenner for it.

I would also add the following: Twin Snakes, Pokemon XD, Kirby Air Ride, Evolution Worlds, Mario Superstar Baseball, Mario Party 6 & 7 and Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door which has recently gone up in price and has started to sell for over the £30 mark.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:14 pm

I reckon the 360 special Ed version of GTA 4 the one in the Safety deposit box will be a future rarity.A big franchise and a game you dont see very often a lovely set it is to.kinda wish i hadn't flogged mine on her know. :?
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:25 pm

aztecca wrote:I reckon the 360 special Ed version of GTA 4 the one in the Safety deposit box will be a future rarity.A big franchise and a game you dont see very often a lovely set it is to.kinda wish i hadn't flogged mine on her know. :?
Yeah theer are a few 360 sets that really should never have been sold on.

I only just recently bought back the Fallout 3 box set from sombody on here (sorry i forgot your name) and its one item i will never let go of again.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:38 pm

chewy

Post by chewy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:15 am

I am really, really surprised Raiden III is going for that much on ebay. £50 odd quid in some respects! Glad I bought a copy when I did, I got it for £5! :D

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:29 am

chewy wrote:I am really, really surprised Raiden III is going for that much on ebay. £50 odd quid in some respects! Glad I bought a copy when I did, I got it for £5! :D
cheapest i've seen it was play.com a year or so back for £12 - i bought it.

However everywhere it is now £40+