Future Rarities - Thiskidplaysgames.com

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retrojc

Future Rarities - Thiskidplaysgames.com

Post by retrojc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:44 am

Hey guys, again last night I had one of those ideas, which made it through the others to get onto the site.

The idea is a run of posts on the future rarities, so games of this generation and last which could be worth a pretty penny or two in the future, or atleast will be deemed rare.

here an extract from the intro:

"If you're into gaming you'll know that as time has gone on classics from the past have kept their value, not all games do this, but some do. In this new series of posts, it's intended to inform you of the future items that today are obtainable, yet tomorrow may be worth their weight in gold. This series of posts looks at games of this generation and last, exclusively PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo GameCube and Nintendo DS. The reasoning behind this is because these games haven't quite sunk out as of yet, gems are still being uncovered and many niche games are still being released - this is especially true for the PlayStation 2 and Nintendo DS."

What I ask, is are there any games you consider to be worth money in the future, or atleast become one of the desirable rarities. I've got a list of 50 or so games that i believe will be uping in status, but would love to know your ideas too :wink:

LINK TO FIRST POST

All feedback welcome :)
Thank you!

Fishsta

Re: Future Rarities - Thiskidplaysgames.com

Post by Fishsta » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:54 am

I believe Ikaruga would be a given for this list.

Rez, also?

I seem to remember it being reported that "Mr Mosquito" and the original Katamari games are already worth a lot more than they were upon original release, but that may be because they were limited import?

I'm sure there was a Basketball game on the Gamecube that is widely sought after, but I can't remember the name of it. It's not one of the NBA titles.
ImageImage

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:00 am

Fishsta wrote:I believe Ikaruga would be a given for this list.

Rez, also?

I seem to remember it being reported that "Mr Mosquito" and the original Katamari games are already worth a lot more than they were upon original release, but that may be because they were limited import?

I'm sure there was a Basketball game on the Gamecube that is widely sought after, but I can't remember the name of it. It's not one of the NBA titles.
Though Ikaruga and Rez are definite titles that will hold their value for some time, they're already known about. Trying to tell about games nobody really knows off, however that basketball game sounds like a an interesting one.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:34 am

The price of Rez has already been impacted by the release of Rez HD. Every digital download made available becomes a 'collector' piece rather than just a game. The more we see these rereleases, the more collecting will become a niche thing, meaning more spare copies of the games in the market.

I'm seriously cosidering ditching loads of my own stuff now while it still holds some value.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:37 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:The price of Rez has already been impacted by the release of Rez HD. Every digital download made available becomes a 'collector' piece rather than just a game. The more we see these rereleases, the more collecting will become a niche thing, meaning more spare copies of the games in the market.

I'm seriously cosidering ditching loads of my own stuff now while it still holds some value.
This is true, collecting is becoming a very niche thing, however there will always be collectors - its part of our nature.

There will always be people willing to pay extra for the original, maybe now it may not be beneficial, but in 30 years whos to know how many copies of tomb raider 1 are still around?

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:15 am

On PS2

Gregory horror show, Trapt, .Hack series, Atelier Iris 2 collectors edition, Mana Khamia, Baroque, Soul Nomads, Grim Grimoire, Spectral Generations, Atelier Iris 3, wild arms V, Ar Tonelico 2, steambot chronicles, odin sphere

Wii

Eldar saga, a shadows tale, agathe christie both titles, sakura wars, fragile dreams, paper maro, tales of symphonia, little kings story, a boy and his blob.

PS3
Trinity universe, 3d dot heroes, demon souls, white knight chronicles, cross edge, atelier rorona, agrest, disgaea 3 and valkyria chronicles.

Divinty 2, sacred 2, risen, sherlock holmes, lost oddesy, dark star one, the last remnant, blue dragon.

DS
might and magic clash of heroes, knights in the knightmare, the dark spire, great gaiana sisters, rhapsody, blue dragon, bleach, bowsers inside story, mario and luigi, the world ends with you, spirit tracks collectors edition, staffi 4, time hollow, infinite space
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:12 am

Found it... NCAA College Basketball 2K3. Apparently worth $400 now.
ImageImage

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:24 am

Fishsta wrote:Found it... NCAA College Basketball 2K3. Apparently worth $400 now.
Really?! I doubt that... I've seen people struggle to sell it for $50. But it's one of those titles that has "held" value, in that it's worth now pretty much what it cost to buy back then. The only product I know for the Cube that is more is Pokemon Box, and only the US version (because it was mail order only at the time).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:22 pm

Mayhem wrote:
Fishsta wrote:Found it... NCAA College Basketball 2K3. Apparently worth $400 now.
Really?! I doubt that... I've seen people struggle to sell it for $50. But it's one of those titles that has "held" value, in that it's worth now pretty much what it cost to buy back then. The only product I know for the Cube that is more is Pokemon Box, and only the US version (because it was mail order only at the time).
What about the PAL version? That was a Nintendo Club exclusive. I pad about £15 for a complete copy on ebay which might have been steep but it's certainly uncommon. I know the disc-only copy came with the Coloseum Mega Pak (I have that too) but the one in the proper case is different.
Fishsta wrote:I
"Mr Mosquito"
Mr Moskeeto (the proper, strange spelling :wink: ) is probably only worth more because it was a budget release at around a tenner or something like many 505 games. You could (and still can) pick up new copies of 505 games for £7-£8 in supermarkets.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:37 pm

PS2 I would say
Rule of Rose, Zombie Hunters 2, Michigan, Metal Slug Anthology, Haunting Ground, Legend of Sayuka, Raiden 3 and Gigawing Generations all incredibly overpriced now when you can find them

Gamecube I'd say Killer 7, Twilight Princess , Resi 2,3 and Code Veronica, Fire Emblem, Summoner Goddess Reborn, Skies of Arcadia, Baton Kaos and Tales of Symthonia

Wii Muramasha and Fraile Dreams

I'd also add the 360/PS3 Splatterhouse
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Love the idea here, back in the day i owned likes of MCD Snatcher, MD SOR, PS Bubble Bobble/R.I collection, never thought they'd be worth 'owt so flogged 'em on.Also had mare of a job picking up PS1 Xcom again.Here's a thought, The Getaway, PS2, original copies had B.T logo on the vans etc, B.T kicked off, it was removed in later ver. sooo would 1st edition be worth anything/more rare? :?

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Are rare games put down to popularity of limited releases or are they just releases with limited popularity?

I think with rare games, it will certainly be those lesser known titles that fade into obscurity over the years. It's so hard to know which ones they will be.

For the thousands of games released on different platforms over the years a lot of them will certainly be rare in the future due to being either so terrible that no-one wants them so they get binned or fade into obscurity, were released in small numbers or simply are forgotten about.

As a collector of games do you just go out a buy a load of lesser known japanese titles because they may become rare in the furutre and you hope to make a fortune?

Sure ok if its only a few pounds but it, at the end of the day it will only be worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

If you buy games because you think it may become rare and you want to preserve it, fair play to you and if you want to just try and make a mint, it's a tough call to know what will become rare either way.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Riddler wrote: I think with rare games, it will certainly be those lesser known titles that fade into obscurity over the years. It's so hard to know which ones they will be.

As a collector of games do you just go out a buy a load of lesser known japanese titles because they may become rare in the furutre and you hope to make a fortune?
This is true. Lesser-known games can still be worth nowt though. From a collector's point of view, it's probably best to grab the stuff that people are already starting to go mad for such as the expensive Gamecube games which are already holding their original value and sometimes rising above £40 in the right ebay auctions.
Riddler wrote: it's a tough call to know what will become rare either way.
Prime example would be Kirby Air Ride on the GC. The game got loads of bad reviews so who would have thought that people actually want it a few years down the line? Well, there seems to be fierce bidding on the few copies that DO appear on ebay.
Riddler wrote:Are rare games put down to popularity of limited releases or are they just releases with limited popularity?.
It's hard to tell sometimes. There are always plenty of copies of MGS: The Twin Snakes on GC for example (it even qualified for Players Choice somehow) but the demand ensures you should expect to pay £30+ for a copy.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Riddler wrote:
Prime example would be Kirby Air Ride on the GC. The game got loads of bad reviews so who would have thought that people actually want it a few years down the line? Well, there seems to be fierce bidding on the few copies that DO appear on ebay.
Riddler wrote:Are rare games put down to popularity of limited releases or are they just releases with limited popularity?.
Kirby Air Ride is Rare as I saw two Copies of this in Gamestation under the £7.99 buy 2 get 1 free.. Been there a few weeks wish I picked them up now
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Regional rarity to me is completely stupid, but hey!

Games limited to one region and are rare would be classed as rare to me, paying extra for a region is stupid.
Logged out 15/07/2014.