Best downloadable games on PSN

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

chewy

Re: Best downloadable games on PSN

Post by chewy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:11 am

Scott Pilgrim is great! Also, some of the classic PS1 games are worth a pop, Bishi Bashi Special for instance ;)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:12 am

I downloaded Dondonpachi off the Japanese store the other day - very nice, not quite as good as the Saturn one but looks better than plugging in my Saturn into the HD Tv when you turn on the smoothing option.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:57 am

Having impulse bought it in the PSN sale I can give Joe Danger a hearty recommendation, an absolutely excellent game!

Kaito-kun

Post by Kaito-kun » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:03 am

chewy wrote:Scott Pilgrim is great! Also, some of the classic PS1 games are worth a pop, Bishi Bashi Special for instance ;)
Yes! Bishi Bashi is a fantastic, frantic and funny experience in multiplayer, but it's not as great for little billy-no-mates.

chewy

Post by chewy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:36 pm

Kaito-kun wrote:
chewy wrote:Scott Pilgrim is great! Also, some of the classic PS1 games are worth a pop, Bishi Bashi Special for instance ;)
Yes! Bishi Bashi is a fantastic, frantic and funny experience in multiplayer, but it's not as great for little billy-no-mates.
Oh, I sometimes Bish Bash alone ;)

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Got the full version of Buzz Quiz on the PSN for nothing! :D

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:52 pm

Soldner X and Soldner X2 both superb horizontal shooters, the first game is the best when you get to grips with chain system. Absolute top games and some of the very best music I've heard composed for the genre.

Also Astro Tripper is good for the price, best played with a Saturn USB controller.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:17 pm

resident paul wrote:Got the full version of Buzz Quiz on the PSN for nothing! :D
How's that? Is it a current freebie? I've got a few PS2 Buzzes and its always popular with visitors, contemplating the PS3 version with wireless controllers.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:21 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
resident paul wrote:Got the full version of Buzz Quiz on the PSN for nothing! :D
How's that? Is it a current freebie? I've got a few PS2 Buzzes and its always popular with visitors, contemplating the PS3 version with wireless controllers.
It says you can use the PS3 controllers & I think both versions of Buzz controllers

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:11 pm

Just a quick shout out....there's a load of 'festive bargains' on PSN at the moment so it's well worth checking out....

But beware if you buy the full series unlock for Tales Of Monkey Island...due to some massive c0ck up, you can only download Episode 1 at the moment, and links to Episodes 2-5 have been completely removed from PSN. I bought it a little earlier and was concerned by the size of the downloads, did a quick check online and found loads of people have had the same problem.

Customer services seem to be well aware of the problem as people have called/emailed them already, but they've apparently been trying to fob people off by saying 'They should be there' (they aren't, I've even tried using the 'Search' function on the PSN Store) or even 'Episodes 2-5 haven't been ported to the PS3 yet' (which is complete bull, because they were available earlier in the year).

I'm sure it'll be sorted in the near future, but it's a bit of a pissy way to treat your customers in the short term. This is the kind of thing we have to look forward to if everything goes 'download only' :roll:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

TwistedScrote

Post by TwistedScrote » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:00 pm

I spent 10 quid on Dead Nation and it's right up there as one of the best games I've played this year. Brilliant twist on zombie games in general and heaps of playability. Nice homage to Valve as well, well worth a look at, I'm pretty sure there's a demo available.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 pm

I just bought sonic 4 and space invaders infinity gean for just over a fiver each. Both good games, and worth a fiver of my money anytime!
I can't agree with whoever said thers nothing worth downloading on PSN (even our bumbed-down version), troll?

I'v also downloaded the pac-man championship demo, just for a sneek-peek.

I'm thinking about downloading the guardian of light demo, does the demo allow for two player mode?

By the way, anybody played eny of the new new-geo emulation stuff?
I just wondered how the emulation was!

oh, and there is a free (full game) version of Buzz curently downloadable, and it says it can be played with the buzzers.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:53 am

I quite like the pac-man championship demo I downloaded, but I have a question...

If I look at purchasing the full version through the demo it says it if 5 pound something, but I recently noticed it ubder the 'minies' menu for 3 pound something.

Are there two versions of this game out? If so what's the difference?

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:09 am

GarryG wrote:I can't agree with whoever said thers nothing worth downloading on PSN (even our bumbed-down version), troll?
I can count the number of worthwhile PS3 PSN exclusives on one hand and I'm a PS3 fanboy.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:25 am

I don't know about exclusive, but I don't think it's fair to say thers nothing worth downloading on PSN!

Bearing in mind that the demos don't cost anything, and you do get the odd outher things for free as well.

Are you including full-games, demos, updates and expansion packs, backgrounds and themes, as well as the various media,and news downloads not to mention the Home stuff, in this?

If pushed, I'd have to say Xbox Live has the edge, but I'd defenetly not say there is nothing worth downloading from PSN.