The Most Important Isometric games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

thevulture

Re: The Most Important Isometric games

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:07 am

Realms:Graftgold (St/amiga)-used fractuals to create it's isometric display. Sliders (St/Amiga) Future sports affair. Also, i had Strike Force Cobra, C64, bought off very dodgy geezer on a market stall in town.Recal crashing in through windows, sub machine gun blazin etc. Sterotype character portraits etc. I (sadly) never got very far in it though.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:22 pm

zaxxon. Saw this in the arcades before I saw any home computer game with the concept. Hard to play - but sticks in the memory.

Get Dexter on the 464 was also a favourite - but less 'important'

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:03 pm

There have been a few mentions of Congo Bongo so far - what I find most interesting about it is how it came out in 1983, and featured a tubby pith-helmeted explorer in isometric 3D about a year before Sabre Wulf came out, never mind Knight Lore.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:58 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
STranger81 wrote:I havent read through the entire thread so I dont know if its been mentioned but Strike Force Cobra on the Amstrad is a really good isometric game
Yay, someone else who's played Strike Force Cobra :D

Though I played the proper Spectrum version ;)

Still have the cassette, its one of my 'keepers' even if I never load it again, just seeing the box gives me warm fuzzy feelings.
Here's another player of SFC; and I won my copy as a runner-up prize in a Crash competition. :D Good game, if slow and a bit jerky when more than one moving object is on screen. Very difficult, too - not got anywhere near completing it.

Oh, and ignore my previous comment about D-Generation - I obviously didn't read the content of the thread fully!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:19 am

thevulture wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:Another really early one I don't think anybody else has mentioned yet is Congo Bongo (a.k.a Tip Top), Sega's bizarre isometric answer to Donkey Kong. It had some decent ideas but none of them really gelled together properly to make an enjoyable game, and it was also far too difficult for it's own good.
:wink: Beat you to it Toxie, Gave it a shout out wayyy back on page 1 of the thread.Whilst here, throwing in:Nevermind (St/Amiga) and Shadow Sorcerer, into the ever growing pile.
Oh do shut up. :wink:

Yeah, I should have checked the thread more :oops: I'm sure I did read your post, must've just forgotten :oops:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:58 am

:lol: I'll be zipping-it, after this session for next 36 hrs or so.Got 2 lots of Night shifts to do, right before xmas.

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:06 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We're planning on overall look at how the use of isometric gaming evolved on the 8-bit systems. So anything is fair game.
Cool - I love most things 3D...especially isometric. Looking forward to this.

But please don't write in that skewed 3D-ish kinda way again, like you did in that "top 25" article. It may have fit the subject, but it was really a bad decision. :roll:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:58 pm

How about Isolated Warrior on the NES?

I am sure that was Isometric - I remember it was a pretty blaster on the NES anyway.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Anyone mentioned Hero Quest? Loaded it up a couple of times and gave it a bash, but I got five minutes into it and got slaughtered spectacularly :lol:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

TwistedScrote

Post by TwistedScrote » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:05 pm

I used to love Up N Down on the 64, that was isometric if my mind isn't playing tricks!

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:46 pm

I remember getting hold of a Gameboy game Altered Space, by Software Creations, still got it somewhere, programmed by Mike Follin, who programmed such Speccy classic conversions as the Sentinel, Bionic Commando and Bubble Bobble, it looked pretty good, and if you stayed in a room too long the music got louder and louder, and more amd more annoying, can't remember if it was any good, I will have to dig it out, apparently it was the first isometric game on the Gameboy.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:08 am

It may have had its genesis on the 8 bits but moving forward it transformed the world of RPG and RTS titles. Would be interesting to see an evolutionary tree charting how early isometric action/puzzle games led to Baldurs Gate and Command & Conquer.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:21 pm

I've seen screenshots of Snake Rattle 'n' Roll on the NES, but I've no idea how it played. It did give me an idea for a puzzle game, but it might be duplicating things.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Level 3 of Ghostbusters II(zx/c64/cpc/amiga/st) is usual overlooked as getting to it is difficult. Nice use of weapon swaping and control of 4 ghostbusters.

My remake version pic, trying to code the player movement and z-depth of objects in isometric was a nightmare.

chewy

Post by chewy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:51 am

I have just thought... Anyone mentioned FIFA??