The Most Important Isometric games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

jdanddiet

Re: The Most Important Isometric games

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:36 pm

The Great Escape remains the one 8-bit isometric game that didn't bore me. It had an interesting gameplay element that didn't involve timed precise jumping and exploration.

I still have a soft spot for Treasure's Light Crusader - but I wouldn't call it important.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:39 pm

jdanddiet wrote:The Great Escape remains the one 8-bit isometric game that didn't bore me. It had an interesting gameplay element that didn't involve timed precise jumping and exploration.

I still have a soft spot for Treasure's Light Crusader - but I wouldn't call it important.
Yes, good call with the Great Escape which had a regimented day night routine which impressed as I remember.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Nemesis wrote:From an 8-bit perspective only ...
Oh yes ... can I put my mention of Theme Park/Hospital/Dungeon Keeper as a senior moment, or am I still too young ...?! :oops: :lol:
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:59 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:
Nemesis wrote:From an 8-bit perspective only ...
Oh yes ... can I put my mention of Theme Park/Hospital/Dungeon Keeper as a senior moment, or am I still too young ...?! :oops: :lol:
Yes you are too young, damn you! :lol:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:39 pm

Sabre Team was smart (though S-L-O-W on bog std miggy). Legacy Of Sorasil (miggy) been mentioned? Murder (16 Bits.Don't think C64 ver.ever made it).Colditz? Saw that in previews...not sure if it ever got a release. Apc stages (and others?) on the superb Twilight 2000.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Zaxxon is the first ever, so that is the obviously the main one.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Musn't forget W*H*B, only recently released for the Speccy, of course.

While we're at it, might as well click on the WOS Isometric games link on that page and take a trawl through...
The hugely popular (in Spain) La Abadia del Crimen...
Alien Highway (Highway Encounter II)...
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes...
The YS type-in Bubble Trouble, and our old chum Harry S. Price selling the code to Tynesoft as Bubble Run...
Bump, Set, Spike (isometric volleyball)...
Gauntlet III, of course - had we forgotten...
Gyroscope - Marble Madness on the Speccy, with a joystick controller instead of a rollerball...
Rather good isometric shooter H.A.T.E., a sort of cross between Xenon and Zaxxon...
Lesser-known Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, The Action Game...
The curious matter of 'High Voltage', the Knight Lore Designer and Knight Lore 2: Conquest of Fairlight, advertised briefly in Popular Computing Weekly and then disappearing - possibly someone's lawyers noticed...
The awful Zaxxon-style shooter Leviathan, a rare example of a game's graphics being ported straight from C64 lo-res to a Speccy and giving us a sense of the sort of lazy port that CPC owners had to put up with coming from the Speccy...
The highly rated and detailed multi-loading Nosferatu the Vampyre...
The 'Absolutely Brilliant!' Code Masters' Professional Ski Simulator - notable (at least on the Atari ST) for its natty rolling effect on its high-score table.
Who could forget the change that came over Star Wars games with Return of the Jedi...
I also seem to have skipped over Durell's Chain Reaction, and their Dune-inspired multi-directional scrolling shooter Critical Mass.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:52 am

Nemesis wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:The Great Escape remains the one 8-bit isometric game that didn't bore me. It had an interesting gameplay element that didn't involve timed precise jumping and exploration.

Yes, good call with the Great Escape which had a regimented day night routine which impressed as I remember.
The Great Escape was one of the most involving games I remember as a kid. I love that game. The fact you could just go about your daily business and then sneak off.

I havent read through the entire thread so I dont know if its been mentioned but Strike Force Cobra on the Amstrad is a really good isometric game, and also the isometric Batman has a place in my retro laden heart!
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:59 am

joefish wrote: The 'Absolutely Brilliant!' Code Masters' Professional Ski Simulator - notable (at least on the Atari ST) for its natty rolling effect on its high-score table.
Utterly Brilliant is that Ill have you know :P
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:41 am

English Softwares Leviathan was awful on C64 as well.Nightmare to control.Adding following to the melting pot:Greyfell (C64)-One with the cat, dogs talking in code (IC LB B4 UXIT) etc, Treasure Trap (St/Amiga/Pc)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:50 am

(one for what could have been:) Ocean/Neon's Vanishing Powers on PS1/PC.A traditional rpg affair.Looked very pretty, great use of colour, promised 90 rendered characters, big game world, High res.graphics etc.Never saw it.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:10 am

Another really early one I don't think anybody else has mentioned yet is Congo Bongo (a.k.a Tip Top), Sega's bizarre isometric answer to Donkey Kong. It had some decent ideas but none of them really gelled together properly to make an enjoyable game, and it was also far too difficult for it's own good.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:39 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Another really early one I don't think anybody else has mentioned yet is Congo Bongo (a.k.a Tip Top), Sega's bizarre isometric answer to Donkey Kong. It had some decent ideas but none of them really gelled together properly to make an enjoyable game, and it was also far too difficult for it's own good.
:wink: Beat you to it Toxie, Gave it a shout out wayyy back on page 1 of the thread.Whilst here, throwing in:Nevermind (St/Amiga) and Shadow Sorcerer, into the ever growing pile.

walrus

Post by walrus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:46 am

Although Ant Attack has been mentioned a few times, I would add Sandy White's follow-up Zombie Zombie just for the ability to redesign the city with the helicopter. I loved playing the game just for that feature.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:48 am

STranger81 wrote:I havent read through the entire thread so I dont know if its been mentioned but Strike Force Cobra on the Amstrad is a really good isometric game
Yay, someone else who's played Strike Force Cobra :D

Though I played the proper Spectrum version ;)

Still have the cassette, its one of my 'keepers' even if I never load it again, just seeing the box gives me warm fuzzy feelings.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.