What will you be playing this Christmas period?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sureshot

What will you be playing this Christmas period?

Post by Sureshot » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:10 am

Most people have favourites that they break out at this time of year, often because it's something they got on a certain Christmas. What will you be playing?

I'll be having some of these:

Chuckie Egg (BBC)
Mentioned it before, but this is my absolute platforming zen. Straightforward goals and pinpoint responsiveness are my best guess behind this being the case, but it just puts me in a state of total interaction with whatever machine I'm playing it on. Got it for Christmas the same one I got my BBC and it's been a staple feature at my 'rents place since going back to visit every year.

Repton 3 (BBC)
Another Beeb game I got that same Christmas, and really the pinnacle of the series. The re-labels don't really count (same game, different graphics, different puzzles) and, while Repton Infinity was decent, the game was a far more complex beast by that stage. Repton 3 was 'pure' Repton at its best.

Stryker's Run (BBC)
Doesn't really need an explanation from me (does it?) apart from the fact that I believe this was another 'un I was gifted for Christmas at some stage.

Sonic (Mega Drive/Master System)
Image Image
Sticking these both in the same bag. Sonic on the Mega Drive probably offers my fondest memory of Christmas as I got both the console and machine around '92 and consequently played it for the entire day. As for Sonic on the Master System, one of my cousins owned it and we played it (and Sonic 2) on a few Christmas Eves back in the day.

Alex Kidd (Master System)
Another Master System game owned by my cousin and something that was a massive feature of that '92 Christmas due to the fact that I asked for - and thought I was getting - a Master System that year (sneaky family). Sadly, I've never actually completed it, so perhaps this year.

Mega Bomberman (Mega Drive)
Another year, another game for Christmas. This time it was Mega Bomberman which I was ridiculously excited about being as it was the first Bomberman on a Sega console (something that made me incredibly jealous of SNES owners previously). Played many, many battle games with my brother that day.

Christmas NiGHTS (Saturn)
Can't really have Christmas without this game, can you? Never fails to emanate a basking glow of Christmas every time I drop the disc in and boot up ol' faithful.

Last Bronx (Saturn)
Something my brother picked up just before Christmas one year and turned out to be surprisingly good. Since then, it's been fished out of the cupboard on more than one occasion around the end of the year.

Obviously I'll also be playing a bunch of other things (like the collection of PS2 games that I haven't seen for about a year) and there are non-mentioned games that have great Christmas memories for me too, but I really had to single these guys out.

Happy holidays, people.

Garquille

Re: What will you be playing this Christmas period?

Post by Garquille » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:40 am

All of the classic Mega Man games
and Mega Man Battle Network 2 (it only took me 8 years to get to it?)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:51 am

I'll be playing that all too common PS3 "game" of taking the console apart yet again to clean the Blu-ray player's lens so to get the damn thing working properly. :roll:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:40 am

Garquille wrote:All of the classic Mega Man games
and Mega Man Battle Network 2 (it only took me 8 years to get to it?)
Snap, same here. Megaman 2 for nostalgia, Megaman 9 as its the next classic MM game for me to finish and Megaman BN2 as I've just 100%'ed the first one and am eager to move onto number 2.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:06 am

I've been meaning to give Aliens on the Spectrum one last final go at completing it. Over 20 years in trying, I've decided this is it. Now is the time!

And I'll get something for the Wii - maybe Ghostbusters since that always reminds me of Christmas. And I'm always on MOH: Heroes 1&2 on the PSP.

I'll be getting the new RG in the airport on christmas eve as well.

Happy christmas!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:47 am

DKC Returns and Goldeneye because Santas bringing them and I cant wait!

And for some reason, ever since Ive lived with my mrs on Christmas morning I lie in bed and have an hour on Mario Land 2 on the Gameboy while shes getting ready.

And if I want the ultimate nostalgic hit ill put my SNES on and play Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Mario Kart and Mortal Kombat becuase they were the games I got with my console when I was a kid and Santa bought me the pinacle of 16 bit gaming!
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:03 am

Probably not what my mum buys me - she sometimes really gets it wrong. 2002 was the worst, she got me Red Faction 2 when I didn't have a PS2 and I don't really play FPSs, and ISS for the GBA when I already had it. Still managed to get refunds even without receipts though! Some shops really let their standards slip on Boxing Day!

Cauterize

Post by Cauterize » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:10 am

I normally get stuck into an RPG in my backlog over Christmas. I finish work today and don't go back till the 4th January, so I'm going to make a start on Suikoden. First time playing any Suikoden game, so I'm expecting great things.

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:46 am

Im sure the family will do their best to murder songs on singstar and guitar hero, and someome actually asked me what id like for christmas which makes a nice change, so fingers crossed i will get a copy of super street fighter rather than the usual pairs of socks. :)
Last edited by firebreather on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:57 am

Same games I've been playing all year probably. Super Street Fighter IV / BlazBlue Continuum Shift
Logged out 15/07/2014.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:10 am

First I need to finish Broken Sword on the DS, as I'll need to wrap that up on Christmas Eve as it's my little brother's Christmas present. :lol:

I'll be playing Mario Galaxy 2 and Goldeneye Wii on Christmas Day. :D Mario during the day when everything's happy and cheery, then in the evening when it's gets dark I'll stick Goldeneye on and start shooting people. 8) Can't have Christmas without some James Bond in there somewhere. Probably take Goldeneye round to my mate's on Boxing Day
and do some online multiplayer and whatnot.

Retro-wise, if I get time I'll do some Zelda on the Gameboy and DS.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:16 am

I'll probably be giving Sonic 3 its customary lash through. The game itself has no particular Christmas relevance for me, but when I was younger I liked to draw scenes from the game and I remember being particularly fond of a Christmas-themed Ice Cap Zone one. It just kind-of stuck that Christmas reminds me of Sonic 3, and vice versa.

Maybe also Mario Galaxy 1. That is a game I spent the Christmas playing when I got it, and the twinkly graphics always struck me as festive, but the association isn't as strong.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:22 am

I have been asked to take my Wii round to my uncles on christmas day and I suspect I'll be going up to my dads on boxing day for a guitar hero/rock band christmas jam.
Splink!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:37 am

probably daytona usa
christmas nights
forza motor sport and what ever else
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:47 am

No specific Retro plans, but on the current gens I have the following in the 'must play over the Christmas period' pile as I haven't tried any of them yet...

GT5
Tron Evolution
NFS: Hot Persuit
God of War 3
Sly Collection
World Touring Cars
Sega Megadrive Collection

And I also need to play a bit more of:

Heavy Rain
Fable III
FIFA 11
Ghostbusters