Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoaxes And Lies

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

oli_lar

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoaxes And Lies

Post by oli_lar » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:37 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:Polybius

Said to be an arcade game released in the early 80's which caused insanity and suicidal tendencies in all who played it. Data from said machines was then collected by "men in black" from the US govenment.
I was going to say it was a (rare) arcade game released on the 3do 2 (M2) but then remembered it was called Polystars :oops:

The only thing kind of related was that thing on Command & Conquer that kind of looked like a pair of silver insect jaws with a jewel in the middle. As kids we always wondered what it was, with release of C&C3 I guess it was something to do with the Scrin.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:42 pm

Sureshot wrote:The Polybius Thread was forever immortalized in this topic: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=18118
I missed that whole episode at the time, but just reading the first few posts I can't believe anybody took it seriously. Good drama at the time though I suppose.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:35 pm

Populous had some odd creatures pop up.I had a Tree-Wizzard bloke (Sorry for vague description, but YEARS since i played it) He just cut a magacial path across the landscape if memory serves.Think there was a Rockman and others? Totally random appearances, so of course, my friends at the time ripped right into me....Sigh.

casiokid

Post by casiokid » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:35 pm

I remember Total! magazine printed a testimony from a reader claiming that he had accidentally stumbled upon a boss cheat code for Street Fighter 2, complete with two blurry pictures of him playing as Vega on the Ken stage. This was obviously pre-photoshop, and I remember it looked pretty convincing. Subsequent googling has turned up nothing. I know it's probably nonsense, but I've never understood how they got the pics.

Anyone else remember this, or do I chalk it up to my brain starting to pack in?

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:46 pm

felgekarp wrote:
aztecca wrote:I am sure i heard that if you eat a copy of Superman 64 it somehow made you have X-ray vision .
Nah, it just requires you to have x-rays took of your stomach.
Ah yes i think you might be right there bud :D
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:53 pm

casiokid wrote:I remember Total! magazine printed a testimony from a reader claiming that he had accidentally stumbled upon a boss cheat code for Street Fighter 2, complete with two blurry pictures of him playing as Vega on the Ken stage. This was obviously pre-photoshop, and I remember it looked pretty convincing. Subsequent googling has turned up nothing. I know it's probably nonsense, but I've never understood how they got the pics.

You can play as the bosses for a short time using an action replay or game genie code Thats probally what the photo was of. The game crashes shortly after starting and I don't belive any special moves were posable either.

casiokid

Post by casiokid » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:46 am

c0nfu53d wrote:
casiokid wrote:I remember Total! magazine printed a testimony from a reader claiming that he had accidentally stumbled upon a boss cheat code for Street Fighter 2, complete with two blurry pictures of him playing as Vega on the Ken stage. This was obviously pre-photoshop, and I remember it looked pretty convincing. Subsequent googling has turned up nothing. I know it's probably nonsense, but I've never understood how they got the pics.

You can play as the bosses for a short time using an action replay or game genie code Thats probally what the photo was of. The game crashes shortly after starting and I don't belive any special moves were posable either.

I remember that code! It was super-glitchy, and the sprites were almost completely distorted. This wasn't that.

Talking of SF2 hoaxes, I also remember CVG printing an April Fool's article about Street Fighter 2 for Gameboy. It was said to be 'arcade perfect', albeit black and white (this was backed up with an arcade screenshot...in black and white), and came with a ludicrous 6-button attachment that fitted over the gameboy. Patently untrue, but that didn't stop me presenting it as fact to my classmates the following day. A little slow on the uptake back then...

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:02 am

Megamixer wrote:
SexyWayne wrote:Not really a hoax as it's real... the great white shark in GTA Vice City... surely someone besides me has seen it???

Every single person I've spoken to about the game has never seen it and reckoned I was bullshitting :x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uCzK7iki8s
Funnier is the pedestrians randomly jumping off the pier and drowning in that video :lol:

Do you know if the shark kills you or anything if you go in the water? Gonna have to boot this game up again and go shark-hunting.
It does. There's other youtube vids of it. Look at the other vids by the same guy for other GTA mysteries.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:10 am

casiokid wrote:Talking of SF2 hoaxes, I also remember CVG printing an April Fool's article about Street Fighter 2 for Gameboy. It was said to be 'arcade perfect', albeit black and white (this was backed up with an arcade screenshot...in black and white), and came with a ludicrous 6-button attachment that fitted over the gameboy. Patently untrue, but that didn't stop me presenting it as fact to my classmates the following day. A little slow on the uptake back then...
I was going to mention the same April Fools Day hoax as I was taken in by it too! I was so gutted when I found out it was all lies as I loved SF2 but only had a Gameboy!
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:54 am

CVG's AmigaDrive sticks out for me, a legendary April fool joke. I've still got that magazine somewhere.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:57 am

Gabe wrote:
Sureshot wrote:The Polybius Thread was forever immortalized in this topic: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=18118
I missed that whole episode at the time, but just reading the first few posts I can't believe anybody took it seriously. Good drama at the time though I suppose.

Always a good thread to bump and watch it all set off again...... >:) mind you the main players aren't around any more

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:53 am

There's a Mew under the truck, I swear.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

o.pwuaioc

Post by o.pwuaioc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:21 am

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:23 am

Obvious though. Would a film of one of the biggest gaming franchises in the world be entirely cast with unknowns? And Ganondorf just looks rubbish.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:26 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Obvious though. Would a film of one of the biggest gaming franchises in the world be entirely cast with unknowns? And Ganondorf just looks rubbish.

why not ?
you ever heard of elijah wood sean astin or viggo mortensen before the lotr trilogy ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !