Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoaxes And Lies

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
c0nfu53d
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoaxes And Lies

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Polybius

Said to be an arcade game released in the early 80's which caused insanity and suicidal tendencies in all who played it. Data from said machines was then collected by "men in black" from the US govenment.

Turning your console on and off repeatedly will wipe your gamesaves

This one sprung from Nintendo being over carful in there SNES manuals. I can remember spending 5 mins as a kid turning my snes on/off rapidly to see what happened. Nothing. The most that will happen is you'll break the switch or burn out the SNES internal fuses (if your really unlucky) but you game saves will be intact


So anybody got any they would like to share?
Last edited by c0nfu53d on Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26960
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoxes And Lies

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Oh no, its back, why won't it DIE!? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Tepid Snake
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Southport. Staying a while... Staying forever!
Contact:

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoxes And Lies

Post by Tepid Snake » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:59 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:Polybius

Allegardly an arcade game released in the early 80's which caused insanity and suisidal tendencies in all who played it. Data from said machines was then collected by "men in black" from the US govenment.
But Polybius is totally real! :wink:
Image
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

User avatar
martyg
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:43 am
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Contact:

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoxes And Lies

Post by martyg » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:58 pm

What's a hoxes?
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15034
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoxes And Lies

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 pm

"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance"
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Commander Jameson
Posts: 1350
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:55 am
Location: Chesterfield,UK

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoxes And Lies

Post by Commander Jameson » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:09 pm

The desert island on Jet Set Willy.

The Trailer for the moon buggy in Lunar Jetman.

And my favourite, the GTA: San Andreas Bigfoot!
Image

User avatar
retrojc
Posts: 4267
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 am

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoxes And Lies

Post by retrojc » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:28 pm

Commander Jameson wrote:The desert island on Jet Set Willy.

The Trailer for the moon buggy in Lunar Jetman.

And my favourite, the GTA: San Andreas Bigfoot!
Rockstar don't deny it

User avatar
c0nfu53d
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoxes And Lies

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:41 pm

martyg wrote:What's a hoxes?
It's the official term for "when the internet steals your letter a "

User avatar
GigaPepsiMan
Posts: 2692
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoxes And Lies

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Megamixer wrote:"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance"

User avatar
SexyWayne
Posts: 4485
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:20 pm
Location: Kidderminster, UK

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoaxes And Lies

Post by SexyWayne » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Not really a hoax as it's real... the great white shark in GTA Vice City... surely someone besides me has seen it???

Every single person I've spoken to about the game has never seen it and reckoned I was bullshitting :x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uCzK7iki8s

User avatar
martyg
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:43 am
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Contact:

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoxes And Lies

Post by martyg » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:26 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:
martyg wrote:What's a hoxes?
It's the official term for "when the internet steals your letter a "

Sorry, but when it's followed by "Allegardly", "suisidal", and "minites", claiming "typo" seems to be a bit of an urban legend in itself. ;)
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 25165
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoaxes And Lies

Post by DPrinny » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:31 pm

Who can forget.
Ultimate fighting Universe
http://tooptroop.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/cvg-21.jpg

User avatar
JazzFunk
Posts: 1820
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:13 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoaxes And Lies

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 pm

Never heard of the Polybius thing before, very interesting. :wink:

Though not a massively obscure hoax, I do remember when Your Sinclair gave 'Advanced Lawnmower Simulator' a Megagame award, then later included it on a covertape (all part of an elaborate April Fool's joke). Not really in the same league as Polybius, mind.

Back in 1989, I once created a fake cheat for Wonderboy In Monster Land (weeelll, Bikkuriman) on the PC Engine. I lent my PCE to a friend and told him that if you jump up and down on top of the first 'hut' in the game exactly a thousand times (no more, no less), then you'd get both infinite health and infinite cash. He actually tried it and asked me what he was doing wrong the next day, I said you've got to do it EXACTLY a thousand times. He tried it over the next couple of nights, he came back to me again, I told him it was a lie, he looked extremely hurt and went all quiet and rather than feel the jolly jape-master, I felt more like some sick, guilty weirdo for subjecting his poor mind to something so perplexingly misleading. :oops:

User avatar
c0nfu53d
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoaxes And Lies

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:01 pm

JazzFunk wrote:Never heard of the Polybius thing before, very interesting. :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybius_(game)
JazzFunk wrote: Though not a massively obscure hoax, I do remember when Your Sinclair gave 'Advanced Lawnmower Simulator' a Megagame award, then later included it on a covertape (all part of an elaborate April Fool's joke). Not really in the same league as Polybius, mind.

Back in 1989, I once created a fake cheat for Wonderboy In Monster Land (weeelll, Bikkuriman) on the PC Engine. I lent my PCE to a friend and told him that if you jump up and down on top of the first 'hut' in the game exactly a thousand times (no more, no less), then you'd get both infinite health and infinite cash. He actually tried it and asked me what he was doing wrong the next day, I said you've got to do it EXACTLY a thousand times. He tried it over the next couple of nights, he came back to me again, I told him it was a lie, he looked extremely hurt and went all quiet and rather than feel the jolly jape-master, I felt more like some sick, guilty weirdo for subjecting his poor mind to something so perplexingly misleading. :oops:
You've got nothing on Offical Nintendo Mag and their SNES Mortal Kombat blood code... New super fatalities looked very convincing in the screenshots. I wish I had a scan of that artical
martyg wrote:

Sorry, but when it's followed by "Allegardly", "suisidal", and "minites", claiming "typo" seems to be a bit of an urban legend in itself. ;)
Hoxes was a typo but the others were spelling mistakes lol Need to be more careful...

I blame the forum for not having a spell check.

User avatar
Sureshot
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: Mids., UK

Re: Retro Gaming Urban Legends, Hoaxes And Lies

Post by Sureshot » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:34 pm

The Polybius Thread was forever immortalized in this topic: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=18118

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests