the elder scrolls 5

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

snowkatt

the elder scrolls 5

Post by snowkatt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:06 am

has been revealed with a video
titled
and a release date
the games name is the elder scrolls 5 skyrim

its release date is the very imaginative 11 11 11

so still a year away then
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Neilos626

Re: the elder scrolls 5

Post by Neilos626 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:45 am

I hope to god it's better tha the complete let down that was Oblivion. That game had no character with its identikit dungeons, boring towns and bland landscape. Then don't get me started on the stupid idea of NPC's leveling up as you do makes you feel as tough your never progressing. I would settle for a HD remake of Morrowind GOTY I lost 300+ hours to that game.
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:01 pm

I too would like a better updated version of Morrowind - however I really enjoyed Oblivion despite a lot of it's dungeons feeling the same - this new Elder Scrolls should be fantastic - hopefully it'll go the way of other games this franchise and have the first two Elderscrolls games as hidden unlockables ;)

PSN username - MartinPhantom

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:29 pm

99 percent of other RPG's are not fit to lick Oblivion's boots. Anyone that thinks Oblivion is underwhelming needs their family dog slaughtered, skinned, gutted and made into a pie. The aforementioned pie to be force fed to the astonishingly blinkered individual via a large funnel rammed roughly into their thoat.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Ninetyeightytwo

Post by Ninetyeightytwo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm currently struggling to get into Morrowind on the x-box.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:35 pm

So long as it's just as good as Oblivion I'll be well chuffed :D updated graphics and a THIEVING SYSTEM THAT WORKS would be nice

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:53 pm

RetroMartin wrote:the first two Elderscrolls games as hidden unlockables ;)
They're free to download, if you didn't know.
Neilos626 wrote:I hope to god it's better tha the complete let down that was Oblivion. That game had no character with its identikit dungeons, boring towns and bland landscape. Then don't get me started on the stupid idea of NPC's leveling up as you do makes you feel as tough your never progressing. I would settle for a HD remake of Morrowind GOTY I lost 300+ hours to that game.
While I wouldn't say it was a complete let down, I totally agree on your points. It took the idea of being an RPG away with enemies leveling up at your's. Would have much preferred a mixture of weak, average and tough enemies in a dungeon rather than all average, and those enemies consistently appearing onwards from the level which they appear to give you the sense of progression. For example you barely see imps unless they are scripted after a couple of levels. Dungeons and terrain too are fairly bland as the majority is randomly generated and touched up, but with 17km square that is fair enough. Needs a smaller game world this time with more human designing. I think the towns did differ, but not as radically as possible, for example I wish the cathedrals actually differed. Also more villages and estates please. Heartland Cyrodil was meant to be settled farmland!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Sill playing through Oblivion, so I can't wait to get my hands on Elder Scrolls 5!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:43 pm

oli_lar wrote:
RetroMartin wrote:the first two Elderscrolls games as hidden unlockables ;)
They're free to download, if you didn't know.
Neilos626 wrote:I hope to god it's better tha the complete let down that was Oblivion. That game had no character with its identikit dungeons, boring towns and bland landscape. Then don't get me started on the stupid idea of NPC's leveling up as you do makes you feel as tough your never progressing. I would settle for a HD remake of Morrowind GOTY I lost 300+ hours to that game.
While I wouldn't say it was a complete let down, I totally agree on your points. It took the idea of being an RPG away with enemies leveling up at your's. Would have much preferred a mixture of weak, average and tough enemies in a dungeon rather than all average, and those enemies consistently appearing onwards from the level which they appear to give you the sense of progression. For example you barely see imps unless they are scripted after a couple of levels. Dungeons and terrain too are fairly bland as the majority is randomly generated and touched up, but with 17km square that is fair enough. Needs a smaller game world this time with more human designing. I think the towns did differ, but not as radically as possible, for example I wish the cathedrals actually differed. Also more villages and estates please. Heartland Cyrodil was meant to be settled farmland!
FREE? WHERE? Please tell me not on the PC, I hate gaming on my PC where I can help it ¬_¬.

As for the leveling thing - yeah that is pretty annoying, some people's ONLY way to do things in an RPG is to level like hell to be stronger then what they're fighting, it gives them another avenue of being able to do things!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:07 pm

You'll be disappointed then, free for download on the only platform they're on - PC. I guess it would be good to see them converted to other platforms, but tbh I don't see it happening with the first two games being quite....rudimentary.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Finally the next Elder Scrolls, been waiting for this since i completed Oblivion.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:27 pm

It won't be using the Gamebryo engine apparently. Glad of that, it was beginning to look very old.
Can't admit to being a big fan of Oblivion for all the reasons stated in this thread already. D&D style fantasy always bothers me - all those villages with well clothed and fed populations, yet no farmland, no industry. No-one ever does this right. Maybe it's because America never had a 'middle ages', but these gameworlds are never beleivable. And i loathe 'magic' - the laziest of fictional concepts.

Still, with some attention to detail, I'm sure it can work. Fallout 3 had a completely brilliant world, absolutely true to it's own laws. Every raider, every creature had a reason for being where it was. If Fallout 3 was 'Elder Scrolls with guns', then this next game should be 'Fallout with wands'. I'm hoping they can find some magical time-freezing excuse to shoehorn the V.A.T.S system into it too:)

Garry

Post by Garry » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:53 pm

I must agree i cant wait for this one, just because Morrowind was so good though.
Oblivion was good but a let down for me compared to morrowind. Admire............. Fail!
I always considered VATS a bit of a gimmick in fallout, rarely used it to be honest

So whats the best game to tide us over until next year that would be Oblivionesque?

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Fallout 3 was absolute tripe when compared to the majesty of Oblivion :shock:

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:39 pm

Oh man! The Nords are one of the more interesting races, so I'm pretty excited about this. Hopefully, they'll put in more imaginative quests like 'Through a Nightmare, Darkly' and make the main story worth playing through. I'm also curious to see if any of the events that play out in the Oblivion novels Dan Keyes wrote will have an impact on the story.