Next gen predictions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Next gen predictions

Post by crusto » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Okay, so the 360 has been with us 5 years now,and the ps3 a little while less. And I know its different now, with sony saying the ps3 will go for 10 years etc. But the ps1, ps2 and original xbox were all on their last legs after this long. And now, Im starting to read the words "slightly ageing" during reviews (in terms of graphical capabilities).

Its just making me wonder that if in two years time we will be talking about the 720, ps4 and nintendo mcphee. Or just the usual current gen stuff we discuss today. Hopefully the next gen will arrive sooner rather than later, as im a sucker for the latest stuff. And 10 years between consoles is way too long for me to wait.

But please powers that be, bring back the cartridge, or something similar. I fecking hate discs, of any type!

Eat your nans pants

JetSetWilly

Re: Next gen predictions

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:34 pm

Bit of a tough one to call this. If I'm honest, I don't think we've really seen the potential of the current systems, but rather scraped the surface. Look at the Spectrum. In the later years (1989), we saw a conversion of Chase HQ to the system that no-one, not even me, thought was possible. I believe there is more, hopefully, groundbreaking stuff to come. I just hope that when the next gen does finally come along, it isn't flooded with the same games every year (cash cows that they are).
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:50 pm

I'm worried they will just concentrate on gimmicks and party games whilst leaving the more hardcore gamer behind

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:03 pm

Negative Creep wrote:I'm worried they will just concentrate on gimmicks and party games whilst leaving the more hardcore gamer behind
That is also true. There are only so many fitness and 'see how many trays you can balance on your head' games you can play before it becomes 'ho-hum'.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:04 pm

One of the big players, Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft will go DLC only with no physical media.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:06 pm

(Leaving aside the motion control and 3D stuff) Looking at this generation, Lot of hype about HD gaming, but what happened? Likes of MW, Alan wake, Halo 3 etc ran at sub 720P and still looked lovely (Wake is fantastic), so it did`nt seem to be the be all and end all. 1080P probably be the std for next gen gaming.Also going by this generation:Games will require even more patches from release date on, DLC will be ready before game is, Elite 4 will be promised, Everything will have an On-line MP element, Sony will release last, with a machine with specs Skynet would blush at, No-one will be able to programme for it-Sony say all part of thier 1000 year riech, sorry plan, MS will launch a console that catches fire as soon as you turn it on, but games will be so good no-one will mind and Nintendo will lead the way on ideas, lag on hardware, MS+Sony will scoff whilst trying to get something similar on thier machines ASAP.

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:08 pm

DLC
3D projection
Motion control

Good thing I've got a massive back catalogue of games to buy and play through!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:09 pm

Also, the TV you just sold a kidney to buy, just for gaming will be out of date 6 months later, PC mags will 'Mock' Console gaming whilst devoting pages to the very same games, Folks will moan at Darren for covering the Xbox,PS2+G.C in RG (They are`nt retro etc.....).The internet will collapse under the wieght of comparison sites...PS4 vs Xbox 720, the trolls and fanboys will have a field day and the cycle will continue.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:12 pm

I don't think we will see a massive jump in terms of graphics. If you look at the best looking games now and factor in the improvement that will happen before the next gen of consoles how much better do we need it?

What I would like to see is an improvement on the technical side such as constant frame rates, no screen tearing and such like. I'd rather take the most smooth and stable looking graphics we currently have than super photo-realistic graphics that are still bogged down by the same graphics problems we have now.

With improved memory the level of detail and content in the game world will hugely increase. Imagine a GTA where every building had an interior that could be explored for example.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:17 pm

Hopefully we`ll see an end to Q.T.E events in games as well. I also would like to see sound given as much thought (if that's right word) as graphics.Seems an under used medium in games, but in horror games espically it's a key factor. Also, surely with processor power avaiable on next gen, FPS A.I will be damn sight better than it sadly still is in many a game today.Same for path finding A.I in RTS games. A resurge in quality horror titles would be fantastic as well.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:27 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:One of the big players, Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft will go DLC only with no physical media.
I hope your wrong. I like to physically own the stuff I pay top whack for. I dont mind paying a few extra quid for extra levels etc. But I want the main event to be sitting on my shelf.

Eat your nans pants

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:28 pm

thevulture wrote:Hopefully we`ll see an end to Q.T.E events in games as well. I also would like to see sound given as much thought (if that's right word) as graphics.Seems an under used medium in games, but in horror games espically it's a key factor. Also, surely with processor power avaiable on next gen, FPS A.I will be damn sight better than it sadly still is in many a game today.Same for path finding A.I in RTS games. A resurge in quality horror titles would be fantastic as well.
Think AI will always be sh1t. I rely on it to finish games! :)

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:38 pm

crusto wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:One of the big players, Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft will go DLC only with no physical media.
I hope your wrong. I like to physically own the stuff I pay top whack for. I dont mind paying a few extra quid for extra levels etc. But I want the main event to be sitting on my shelf.
Agree, hopefully the debacle of the PSPGo will put people off, but it is only a matter of time before the temptation to kill the second hand games market, potentially stop piracy, kill the overheads for developing packaging and dictating the price through their own store fronts...will be very grim indeed when gaming goes this way.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:53 am

Microsoft will definitely be first. Sony will be hesitant cos of the PSPgo and Nintendo just haven't embraced the internet in the same way as the other two.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:08 am

Yep, i`d say MS will be 1st as well, they`ll want to maintain the headstart they had over Sony and guessing given size of games of the future if things like Rage are anything to go buy (Mega-textures etc), DVD just is`nt going to cut it as a storage medium.Hopefully they won`t kill of the 360 in same way they did Xbox, as this time they are`nt loosing money hand over 1st as they did with Xbox, just to get established in the market etc.Sony? wager will keep on about years left in PS3, developers finding new tricks and start bleating on about power of PS4, Unrealistic performance etc etc.Cycle will repeat as has last 2 generations before it.