8-bit graphics that really made you go 'wow' at the time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:44 am

I thought the graphics in Delta on the C64 were bloody fantastic - smoooooth animation and the flames / waves animation on later levels looked awsome!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:05 am

Games with graphics that 'wowed' me at the time include:

In the arcades: Gauntlet (all those enemies on screen at once, and FOUR players!!), Star Wars, Dragon's Lair (I was only 7 when I first saw it!), Double Dragon, Mortal Kombat (shame about the game though).

On the Spectrum:-

Most of Codemasters games: The Dizzy games, CJ's Elephant Antics, CJ in the USA, Seymour Goes To Hollywood, Captain Dynamo, Steg The Slug, Olli And Lissa 3, Grell and Falla (which had no sound despite the inlay boasting 'Superb 128K music') & Slightly Magic (to name but a few) all looked amazing, especially for games which cost no more than a few pounds each.

Most of Ultimate's games: Like 'em or hate 'em, you can't say that the likes of Atic Atac, Cookie, Sabre Wulf, Pssst and Jetpac with their full colour graphics didn't look amazing at the time, and titles like Knight Lore and Alien 8 revolutionised gaming. 'Nuff said.

Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy: Everything on the screen was a different colour, and there was lots of animation going on. And this was back in the early '80s!! :D

Ritman/Drummond's isometric 3D games: Batman and Head Over Heels may well have been inspired by titles like Knight Lore but you can't deny how pretty those visuals were the first time you saw them :D

The Don Priestly games: Trap Door, Through The Trap Door, Flunky and Grogory Loses His Clock. All great looking and fun to play, so long as you don't expect any fast paced action.

Total Eclipse: The best of the Freescape games (IMHO).

And also:

Capcom's Gargoyle's Quest on the original Game Boy: Just.....unbelievable. Doesn't look so greate now, but at the time, handheld gaming was in it's infancy, and at the time, this looked as good as anything the arcades or consoles could offer for a 2D platform game. And it was all on a machine that fitted in your pocket. :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:55 am

Had to be the Ultimate games for me

When i saw Knight Lore i couldnt believe it, stunning back then. Must admit i could never ever complete it or come close to but just going round the rooms was great. Same with Alien 8.

Hungry Horace

Post by Hungry Horace » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:02 am

I was later impressed by games that were better, but the first game that almost made me weep with excitement was Wheelie, on the Spectrum.

Before you mock, hear me out.

I had a rich, spoiled friend who got a Spectrum 48K when they first appeared. He only had a black and white TV to play it on, however. I used to visit him once or twice a week (mostly to play the games, personally I thought he was a fat tosser) and thought that there was NO colour on the Speccy at all. I didn't know at the time his TV was monochrome.

It was only when another friend invited me for a weekend sleepover to play his new Spectrum that I realised my error. I walked into his lounge that Friday night (early '84) and saw Wheelie, in full colour on the 'big TV'. I was in denial for about five minutes, and almost got my friend to reset and reload the game to prove it was no trick.

Pity the game was less spectacular to play...
Get your own Gamercard Sig.

punkpie

Post by punkpie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:06 am

Did anyone ever play Street Fighter 2 on the speccy? Game was absolute horrible but the graphics were superb for the time.

Chase HQ on the speccy for me. Simply looks amazing.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:17 am

Rather than graphics in a specific game, later on in the C64's life there were gasps of "Oh my god, sprites in the border!!" at the technique.

scunny

Post by scunny » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:41 am

Speccy Sabre Wulf, lovely colourful game, you can forgive the clash.

Dark Sceptre on spectrum was fantastic too, full colour men walking in front of other colour stuff and not a bit of clash thanks to some crafty black bordering!

DADDYCOOL

Post by DADDYCOOL » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:30 pm

Durell Software used to provide great looking games on the Speccy. Sabotuer1/2 were great, but Turbo Esprit? to me it was GTA in its day with people walking around and a city to free roam round.... top stuff.

Ish

Post by Ish » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:32 pm

Ant Attack, Knight Lore and Elite for me. At the time they all blew me away.

Also Thrust. That just has a timeless beauty about it. Though I've come to appreciate it more as time has gone on than I did when it first came out.
www.videogamejunkie.co.uk - musings on old videogames

usagi13

Post by usagi13 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:04 pm

I still have fond memories of Shinobi and R-Type on the Sega Master System.
Having made the leap from my trusty Spectrum 48k to the world of colour graphics had a massive impact on me at the time.

Ahh happy days...

beesty

Post by beesty » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:09 pm

On the C64-World Games(great animation,colour and something different)

On the Speccy-Knightlore(enough said about it already)

But I think alot of the games programmers at the time were realy starting to push the boundaries of what was possible on these humble machines,just look at the early games to the latter games and the leap is enormous.
the c64 was king,and the speccy,and the amiga,and,,,,,ooh u know the rest

LDX#40

Post by LDX#40 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:39 am

On the 64:

- Last Ninja I & II
- Armalyte
- The Pawn (and then, to a bit lesser extent, Guild of Thieves)
- The animated monster icons in Bard's Tale III and Wasteland
- IO

laddo27

Post by laddo27 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:50 pm

I always think of one game and that is the sacred armour of antiriad (hope i spelt it right) classic graphics also equinox was kinda of cool from what i remember both for the speccy
Those where the days !!!!!!

Magic Knight

Post by Magic Knight » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:16 pm

The loading screen for Armalyte blew me away. Even the title screen was class, with the balls spinning in and out of the screen. Not sure what it had to do with the game but it looked bloody good. :D

I think Dragon Ninja on the 64 was the first time I had seen multicolour sprites with a black outline that was a single pixel wide. It gave the sprites a boldness and made them stand out from the background.

The Commodore Plus/4 was my first ever computer and Winter Events was way above anything else previously done on the machine.

Sparrowhawk

Post by Sparrowhawk » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:10 am

Here is my pick:

Spectrum:
-------------
Lords of Midnight - stunning!
Escape 3D
Knight Lore
Ant Attack
Bugaboo the Flea
The Hobbit

Amstrad:
------------
Feud
Exolon

BBC Micro:
--------------
Elite (like "Wow"!)
Frak

QL (does a 68008 count as 8 - bit?)
----
Psion Chess
Matchpoint
Assault and Battery

I've never used a C64, so cannot say, but the graphics always seemed very bright and colourful.