8-bit graphics that really made you go 'wow' at the time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

samuelpepys

8-bit graphics that really made you go 'wow' at the time

Post by samuelpepys » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:18 pm

I've always been a bit of a sucker for good graphics in games - many a title was bought based on the pictures on the back of the game box before sensibly reading a review.

I'm wondering which 8-bit software stands out in people's memories for making a real impression at the time of the game's release?

Some I'd go for...

Atari VCS - Skiing by Activision

Dragon 32 - 3D Seidabb Attack (was this by Hewson?)

C64 - Merry Christmas from Melbourne House (does anyone else remember this free adventure given away with a December C&VG?)

C64 - Rupert and the Toymaker's Party (Quicksilva)

C64 - Dallas (US Gold, on disk)

C64 - Winter Games (Epyx)

Most of mine would come from the C64 seeing as that's what I moved onto after the Dragon.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:32 pm

I remember being wowed by a screenshot of Shadowfire in the first issue of Zzap... and that was 'cos of a metal grille that featured as a small piece of decoration!

As a C64 owner, was of course jealous of Ant Attack and Knightlore's graphics on the Spectrum.

Before that, was impressed with the sprites in the Atari VCS's H.E.R.O, a great selection for the humble machine.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:41 pm

Probably an obvious one but Popeye and Trap Door on the speccy with full colour and no clash.

Mort

Post by Mort » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:25 pm

Probably Last Ninja,Koronis Rift and the Eidolon on the C64, closely followed by Fairlight on the Spectrum :-)
Blast another coupon missing, what`s on ebay!

James A

Post by James A » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:34 pm

Last Ninja on the C64 was amazing graphics at the time. Also Salamander had some great graphics and smooth gameplay plus good music to boot.

roberthazelby

Post by roberthazelby » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:10 pm

Booty (Spectrum) - The animated sunset on the water shown on the initial splash screen once loaded and/or starting a new game. Also, the smoothly animated waves you could see going up and down through the portholes.

Knightlore (Spectrum) - I'd never seen graphics like these before, and I was absolutely stunned. So stunned in fact, that I can remember exactly where I was, who I was with, and what the weather was like when I saw this for the first time.

Myth (Spectrum) - Everything was just so wonderfully animated, and no colour clash to be seen.

Chase HQ (Spectrum) -The closest the Spectrum could get to the arcade version. Very impressive.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:06 pm

I think the game was called Spectre on the Speccy and it had beautifully drawn characters

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:03 pm

As a C64 owner, was of course jealous of Ant Attack and Knightlore's graphics on the Spectrum.
I don't really understand that. Click here for a comparison. I personally think the one on the left looks better.

Someone once said that the freescape games looked better on the Spectrum, so I tried them both. The Spectrum one ran much faster, but didn't look better at all.

Anyway, back to the question. I thought that Summer Games on the C64 looked amazing when it was released (and it still does). The Last Ninja was another one that looked fantastic.

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:44 pm

I was always bloody amazed by the main sprite animation in Impossible Mission on the C64, back in the days... 8)

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:31 pm

necronom wrote:
I don't really understand that. Click here for a comparison. I personally think the one on the left looks better.

:shock:

Lime green! Yuckety yuck! ;)

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:19 pm

The Freescape games, but of course most notably Driller on the Speccy. I explored every nook and cranny of that game from every angle. I'd never felt that immersed in a gameworld before.

I also rather admired the style of the Dan Dare games on the Speccy, they just had a certain level of polish and great animation. Same could be said of the Gargoyle adventures (Tir Na Nog et. al.).

AmazingJas

Post by AmazingJas » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:35 pm

C64-Turrican
censored Smith Wizzard/Creativision: Tank Attack
NES-Contra
PC-Command & Conquer
GameCube-Donkey Konga:Jungle Beat

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:28 am

Titus the Fox on Amstrad CPC. Finally got to play it a few months ago & was a bit disappointed with the actual game itself though.....

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:56 am

Karateka on the C64. Amazing animation, and you can see the seeds of Prince of Persia there too.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:02 am

Strider - MD It was the arcade

Links - PC As photorealistic as MCGA would allow