Pirates pushing a machine

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Pirates pushing a machine

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:41 am

Having stated that I'm currently investigating the world of NES pirate games (purely to increase my knowledge, you understand), playing the conversion of Donkey Kong Country I was startled by how accurate it is. The controls are a bit off but the graphics are some of the best I've seen on the NES! Are there any other cases of pirate games that are more than just cheap cash ins?

User avatar
c0nfu53d
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:12 pm

Not that i've seen. I've played a few but most of them suck. Mortal kombat on the NES in particular is bad. It doesn't even have fatalities (not that I could see anyway).

User avatar
delbert_trout
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:51 am
Location: Brighton & Hove

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by delbert_trout » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:26 pm

I once came across a very bizarre pirated NES ROM called "Somari" - someone had basically put Mario in Sonic sneakers and given him the ability to spindash etc, through a high-speed platformer based on Sonic 1 for the Megadrive (loop-de-loops and all). Pretty amazing stuff I thought - how the hell they got a game like that to run on the NES is beyond me. Well worth a look.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

User avatar
Lorfarius
Posts: 3601
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:06 pm
Location: Glossop - North West
Contact:

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by Lorfarius » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Zelda Outlands is really good:

http://www.nes-bit.com/?p=218
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

User avatar
sebadude
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:39 pm

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by sebadude » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:00 pm

I remember reading that there was a very impressive pirate NES version of Super Mario World - though i gather that it all went downhill after the first few levels. Worth a look though!

User avatar
Sir Hilary Bray
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:53 pm

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:29 pm

sebadude wrote:I remember reading that there was a very impressive pirate NES version of Super Mario World - though i gather that it all went downhill after the first few levels. Worth a look though!

I've played it a few times, it's nice to look at, music is OK, however it's very horrible to control, and I came across many glitches, and because
of the bad controls, I found it very hard.

User avatar
Tepid Snake
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:52 pm
Location: Southport. Staying a while... Staying forever!
Contact:

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by Tepid Snake » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:49 pm

One of the most impressive I've ever seen is the NES port of Final Fight 3 although only a few enemies can be on screen at once which makes playing through a pushover.
Image
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:39 am

That really is staggering. The fact they've even managed to get close is quite an achievement.

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:42 am

Sir Hilary Bray wrote:
sebadude wrote:I remember reading that there was a very impressive pirate NES version of Super Mario World - though i gather that it all went downhill after the first few levels. Worth a look though!

I've played it a few times, it's nice to look at, music is OK, however it's very horrible to control, and I came across many glitches, and because
of the bad controls, I found it very hard.
My sentiments exactly.

User avatar
Cauterize
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:28 am
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by Cauterize » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:08 am

Yup, take a look at Resident Evil on the NES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i8glSGxHvk

User avatar
FatTrucker
Posts: 4724
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:53 pm

When you say 'Pirate' do you mean bootlegs of other titles or just unofficial releases (like 99% of the stuff that came out of China for example). There were some really good original but unendorsed by Nintendo 'pirate' games knocked out for the NES.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.
Image

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:51 am

FatTrucker wrote:When you say 'Pirate' do you mean bootlegs of other titles or just unofficial releases (like 99% of the stuff that came out of China for example). There were some really good original but unendorsed by Nintendo 'pirate' games knocked out for the NES.
I'm open to all suggestions.

User avatar
TMR
Posts: 5756
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: Leeds, U.K.
Contact:

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by TMR » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:02 am

Are we just talking console pirates then, because quite a bit of C64 software was written by the same folks who were cracking games?

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:42 am

Preferably, seeing as I still haven't got the hang of computer emus.

User avatar
TMR
Posts: 5756
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:56 am
Location: Leeds, U.K.
Contact:

Re: Pirates pushing a machine

Post by TMR » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:26 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Preferably, seeing as I still haven't got the hang of computer emus.
VICE has been drag and drop for as long as i can remember, the only "difficult" bit used to be remembering to turn on true drive emulation and that's set as default now... i've used more fiddly Atari 2600 and NES emulators fairly recently!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests