Swearing in Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slacey1070

Swearing in Games

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:15 am

Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere previously, however is it just me or is there now a LOT of unneccessary swearing in games?

I'm no prude, I just think that the likes of CoD swear for no reason whatsoever - it appears to be designed to appeal to the kids, etc.....

Have a swear in the right place, but half the time the swearing seems added at the last minute and is totally out of context.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Liamh1982

Re: Swearing in Games

Post by Liamh1982 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:18 am

Remember Team Buddies on the PS1? Was going to be sort of 'my first RTS' for kids, but halfway through development they filled it full of swears.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:38 am

I agree, it gets embarrasing at times...of late The Saboteur is probably up there with uncalled for swearing.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:42 am

Swearing just anyway is one of those odd things. I use mild curses (like "crap" and "bloody"), but the really crass ones (you know the ones I mean) I tend to only use if I'm "in character" for a joke. Then I work with people who use those words all the time. To me, they're just words, but I don't particularly want my daughters picking them up.

It's all about the portrayal of the character. Modern Warfare, for instance, good old stiff upper lip Captain Price hardly swears at all, whilst Gaz and Ghost and many US Marines will swear a lot. Same in the GTA series.

It makes me view Captain Price as the more stable, in-control (and therefore dangerous) person because of it, though.
ImageImage

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:55 am

Quite an early example from Capcom's 'Cadillacs and Dinosaurs' beat-em-up arcade cab - albeit censored it did kind of surprise me first time I played it.

http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:02 am

Swearing in games always comes off and stupid and childish. Even for something as supposedly "adult" as Kane and Lynch. It's just embarrassing.

I have no problem with swearing, as long as the writer is intelligent enough to work out when it should be used. For example, I love how Tarantino uses swearing in his movies. Videogame writers generally don't get it right.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:03 am

Swearing can be used to good effect. Conkers Bad Fur Day. Funny as F&^$. Never seen it used to good effect in a serious game though.

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:06 am

I'm not a fan for most of the same reasons.

If it's unnessecary, then it makes the game look immature. Would like to see a comparison between films & games for swearing actually, think games takes it.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:08 am

It put me off house of the dead overkill but I don't usually mind. Games always use it in the wrong context though.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:24 am

There is definitely more and more swearing in games these days. But as for CoD, of course there's swearing in it... have you ever spoken to anyone in the military? Most can't string a sentence together without dropping at least 3 f-words!

I don't think swearing is necessary in most games however, and I would be wary of letting my kids play games with swearing in (if I had kids that is). The only game I've ever noticed that gives you the option of not having swearing in the game is Brutal Legend. I left it on however, as Jack Black is usually pretty creative with his cussing and it was generally quite funny.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:44 am

I don't mind swearing in a game if it fits the tone correctly.

When it gets excessive though it just bugs me.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:48 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:It put me off house of the dead overkill.
I dunno, it didn't bother me there because it's appropriate considering the sorts of films the game is parodying.

A game it did bother me in was Bionic Commando (360/PS3]. Really felt like they tacked it on just to be cool.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:55 am

flying_delorean81 wrote:I left it on however, as Jack Black is usually pretty creative with his cussing and it was generally quite funny.
When it comes to creative swearing, no-one beats RevStu.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:56 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:The Saboteur is probably up there with uncalled for swearing.
I like the swearing in Saboteur because it feels very tongue in cheek. Yes theres a fair whack of it but on the 2 occasions ive played through the game ive never thought it went OTT.
Fightersmegamix wrote:It put me off house of the dead overkill but I don't usually mind. Games always use it in the wrong context though.
For me HOTD Overkill uses it in the perfect context. Cheesy, dirty B Movie horror suits swearing fine for me. Although I agree that sometimes developers throw swearing in so younger players think its more "edgy".
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:09 am

There's a frankly astonishing amount of swearing in Fallout 3. I mean even kids use the F word!! :lol:

Yeah, it's a crutch sometimes. Like the Industry's belief that "Mature" equals "Graphic Violence" and "Adult" equals "Show More Titties" it gets a little thin. Fallout 3 survives it (although just barely) because it genuinely is a harsh wasteland. A horribly bleak cesspit of a place where slavers, casual violence, gun diplomacy and prostitution are part and parcel of your day-to-day existence. "Only the tough survive," said one Slaver I met. That, or you go be a SLAVE for the tough. Either way it's the only way to survive in the wastes.

Saying that though, games like Shellshock: Nam 67 and Brothers in Arms were utterly ruined by some stupid overuse of bad language. They even appeared to add ZOMBIES into the Shellshock sequel too, so it's blatantly obvious how pathetically they were pandering to the slack-jawed gamers out there.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.