Games you enjoyed but thought you wouldn't

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

c0nfu53d

Games you enjoyed but thought you wouldn't

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Gunple: Gunman's Proof

INFO

Released on the SNES in Japan only, this looks like a poor mans Zelda. How wrong I was. Sure it looks like Zelda and kinda has the same format (minus puzzles) but it turned out to be thougherly enjoyable. And has an english fan translation too. Plays like an ARPG with guns. The UZI is a fav.

STORY

After meteors crash nearby monsters start apearing, known as "Demiseeds". wandering around outside the village, a young boy encounters a space sherif and sets out to kick some demiseed butt.

SCREENS

Time Hollow

INFO

Anime style games are 10 a penny in Japan so why should this one be different? The mainly average reviews didn't hint at how good it was, but the Konami logo should have. A really cool time vortex mechanic there you can draw hole in time with your stylus and take/put items in the past or otherwise malnipulate time thereby changing the future. Some shocking results are to show for your actions. Never quite works out as you plan. Really vivid graphics and cool anime cutscenes help hook you. One of the better Visual Novels.

STORY

Ethan Kairos discovers that his family has mysteriously disappeared and sets off to find them. He then comes across a strange looking hollow pen and acquires it where he learns its unique and magical property: the ability to open portals to the past. Using this pen, the player will take Ethan to the past in search of clues for his family and hopefully prevent the awful tragedy.

SCREENS

pratty

Re: Games you enjoyed but thought you wouldn't

Post by pratty » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:43 am

Resident Evil - I was pretty ignorant about the Resi games to be honest, but having not really been a fan of Zombie films I didn't think I'd like Zombie games, so the Resi series never interested me. Then my friend lent me REmake for the Gamecube and I loved it.

Metroid Prime - Something about the game didn't appeal to me, I'd never played a Metroid game before and the screenshots I saw in the magazines looked cluttered and the graphics didn't impress from the pictures I saw. Eventually though, after reading all the priase for the game, my curiousity finally led me to buy the game and as soon as I started playing I became ashamed of my doubts. One of my favourite games ever.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:52 am

Uncharted 2 - I played the first Uncharted, completed it in 10 hours the first time, 5 the second (on a harder difficulty level), basically saw it as a rip-off of Prince of Persia / Tomb Raider and was not at all impressed. Despite this, I was promised the second one was one of the best games ever on the PS3, so I gave it a try. Luckily, the single player game WAS much better, but also the multiplayer mode was / is fantastic.

Not QUITE as good as Resident Evil 4:Wii edition in Single Player, but close.
ImageImage

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:23 am

Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light - Great game so far, just beat the Sand Monster using water elements to slow him down! First RPG I've played since the 8-bit days.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:05 am

pratty wrote:Resident Evil - I was pretty ignorant about the Resi games to be honest, but having not really been a fan of Zombie films I didn't think I'd like Zombie games, so the Resi series never interested me. Then my friend lent me REmake for the Gamecube and I loved it.
It's funny but it was the opperset for me - i tried Resident Evil expecting it to be awesome but ended up disapointed. I hated the control system and just didn't enjoy it.