Is It Worth Buying A Game New On Release Day Anymore?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: Is It Worth Buying A Game New On Release Day Anymore?

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:30 am

Morkin wrote:I've more or less stopped buying games on day of release nowadays. I've got loads to play, so by the time I'm ready, most games have dropped in price drastically. I'm actually trying to stick to £9.99 or under for my games, unless it's a title that I really, really want right away.
Same here. I'd say about 80% of my purchases in the last two years have been much less than that. Last time I paid more was for Baku Baku but then it does tend to go for about 15 quid on eBay, which is what it cost me in a BIN.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:50 am

Only if it's a must have - or a JP title as once they're gone they go UP in price typically - until the next game is out at least.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:58 am

I only buy new games (with the exception of retro of course!) and only when they have gone down in price, usually to below £20.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Depends on the game, I tend to try for ltd editions if it's a game I really want as they hold their price better.

Bermondsey Bob

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:41 pm

If it's a game that I've been watching for a while, then I'll probably pick it up on release. Sometimes, I'll wait for a price drop, but sometimes , they don't always get one. I was after Saw last year, but decided to wait until after Christmas because I thought it would be one of those games that you could pick up for £10 within a month or so of it's release, but even now, it's still hovering around the £30 second hand (it is where I live at least).

I was put off buying Mafia 2 because of Kane & Lynch 2. I brought the "LTD Edition" of that on it's release day for £40, but a week later (seriously...the following Friday) it was £24.99 :evil: I thought that I wasn't going to make that mistake again so soon, so I didn't buy Mafia 2 and I've still not brough it.

I did take a chance with Splatterhouse thoguh. All the reviews gave it a medium score, but I thought "what the ehll" and brought it anyway, even though I'm sure it'll be one of those "sale games" next week etc. I don't regret buying it so soon though as I got a solid weeks play out of it and I'm looking forward to another play through soon too.

At the end of the day..."you pays your money, you takes your choice" :wink:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:50 pm

I have so many unplayed games that I can't really justify buying new games on release anyway so I don't. The only exception is if it's a game that is bound to be hard to find or has a super-limited release. Examples of these games on the Wii for example are usually only around £25 from online sites anyway so it's worth it to guarantee a copy.

But no, the bulk of my purchasing is older retro stuff anyway.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:57 pm

i can be very impatient but try to restrict myself to games i really really want,i couldn't wait for black ops and i won't wait for dead space 2,i'm also keeping an eye on portal 2.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:18 pm

joefish wrote:If it's by Shigeru Miyamoto, yes. Otherwise no. Unless it's from SEGA, in which case HELL NO. And if it's EA or Activision, pretty much never since you've probably already got something 97% identical to it already.
This^

unless its a Jap release as they seem to go up in value not down!

most of my new stuff this year has been from zavvi for £17.95 :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Flint

Post by Flint » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:22 pm

With the recent increase in pre-order bonuses and special editions I assume many people must feel the same way.

A lot of Nintendo games hold their value well so they can be worth buying on release, especially as you get more club nintendo points and these days there's often a pre-order bonus too (obviously you can sell it if you don't want it).

However most of the time I don't think it's worth it especially when I have a fair few unfinished games.

n-g-m

Post by n-g-m » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:29 pm

I'd go for a no due to the reason already listed. However, with some titles, you'll be waiting a while for it to come down - so getting it on release wont caost you much much than if you wait a month(s) or more.

Usual culprits that don't come down quickly are games like Mario titles on the Wii - NSMB Wii is actually more preowned that you can get it new in some places! Still £30-35 wherever you go and it cost this a year ago on release day! CoD is another one that holds its value pretty well - usually until about January/Feb after its November release date.

I think the general rule is that when buying the real top franchises on any console, the prices wont come down particularly quick. Eg (Mario on Wii, Halo on 360, etc..). Anything else will drop pretty quickly.

I have a gaming stall on a market and just don't bother buying new stock or preowned new titles unless they are the above as it's just not worth it due to the rapid price drops you see all over the place :x

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Unless youre a big fan of a certain game, patience is usually rewarded. Ive saved a lot of cash simply waiting for prices to drop. Like most others Ive got plenty of other games to while away the free time.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:37 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:i can be very impatient but try to restrict myself to games i really really want,i couldn't wait for black ops and i won't wait for dead space 2,i'm also keeping an eye on portal 2.
Thing is though, even 6 months from now, a new copy of Black Ops won't be much (if any) cheaper than it is now....will take until the next CoD game comes out for that one to fall in price and even then it'll still be around the £30 mark. Just look at Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2.

Dead Space 2 will likely drop after a month or so, but if it's as good as the first one it'll be worth the money whatever you pay for it. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:49 pm

Am I the only one who does buy games on launch day?

I except that some games loose value very quikcly, in fact far to quickly, and quicker than ever before thats for sure. However I subscribe to both PS3 and xbox mags and I really just get hyped up about releases. So do the majority of my friends.

This years launch buys were as follows:

Reach
Black ops
FF13
Splatterhouse
Medal of Honor
Bayonetta
Bioshock 2
God of War 3
Gran Turismo 5
Super Mario Galaxy
Red Dead Redemption
Dead Rising
Deadly Premonition
and probably more

one of the best gaming uyears i've ever had since 2000.

I just really enjoy it.

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:58 pm

retrojc wrote:Am I the only one who does buy games on launch day?

Bayonetta
Bioshock 2
Deadly Premonition

Apart from the above I also picked up Nier on release. Someone else who got Deadly Premonition..... :shock:

I still buy about 4 to 6 titles a year on release day which is nowhere near as many as I used to. I think because I'm not a big mp player a lot of sp camapaigns just aren't worth full retail price. Looking at next year the only two I have on pre-order so far are Deus Ex 3 and Yakuza 4.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:06 pm

Megamixer wrote:I have so many unplayed games that I can't really justify buying new games on release anyway so I don't. The only exception is if it's a game that is bound to be hard to find or has a super-limited release.
This, pretty much, unless it's Halo related.