Tomb Raider Reboot Revealed

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Raziel

Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Revealed

Post by Raziel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:30 pm

thevulture wrote: New Soul Reaver game running on this gen.Hardware? Sooo needed.

Work WAS started on a 6th game, 'Legacy Of Kain:The Dark Prophecy' (Xbox/PS2), but canned after only 3 months.
I would just love to see that environment morph running on this gens hardware. I would play for hours.. just switching back and forth..lol

Didn't know that. Mind you i'd be interested to see who'd voice the Elder God as the original guy passed away. I wouldn't mind Paul Rendenay (think thats how its spelt) doing it.

Anyway back on topic... I am quite interested in how the new Tr is going to work level and gameplay wise.

Lavilian

Post by Lavilian » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:08 pm

I like Lara's new look but overall it's receiving mixed opinions. Some are saying she looks like a guy and some are saying that she doesn't look "Western enough".

Bermondsey Bob

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:41 am

Raziel wrote:
Bermondsey Bob wrote:I've been a Tomb Raider fan since the first one on the Sega Saturn (it was a revelation in it's time). What I want to see is a follow on from Legend as they finished that story on a cliff hanger (no pun intended) and have never followed it up! Can we finish that story before re-booting the franchise yet again?
You not played Underworld? Underworld plus its dlc's pretty much tie off all the loose ends from Legend.

First thought when I read reboot/origin story was another Dev caught the Dmc bug. But, having read it through it certainly sounds as if Cd are aiming to evolve the franchise, lets hope they can deliver.

With an origin reboot in mind... Cd I would love a this gen Soul Reaver game.......pretty please...lol
Yeah, I've paled and completed that one, but I didn't think that it filled all the holes left by Legend. It filled a few, but not all of them.

Plus, I was thinking about this the other night, didn't we already see Lara's origins and Tomb Raider: Chronicles? There were at least two sections that were set before the first game (the opening part where she finds her back park and the Ireland level where she's without any guns until the end) Does that make this game set after the plane crash and before the Ireland part, or are they just re-writting it all yet again. Or, am I just a sad old man :lol:

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:21 pm

Bermondsey Bob wrote:Yeah, I've paled and completed that one, but I didn't think that it filled all the holes left by Legend. It filled a few, but not all of them.

Plus, I was thinking about this the other night, didn't we already see Lara's origins and Tomb Raider: Chronicles? There were at least two sections that were set before the first game (the opening part where she finds her back park and the Ireland level where she's without any guns until the end) Does that make this game set after the plane crash and before the Ireland part, or are they just re-writting it all yet again. Or, am I just a sad old man :lol:

Underworld's two dlc packs cover Natler and the Doppleganger. I haven't played Legend in quite sometime so I may be missing something, how many plot holes are left?

I was under the impression that the loose story threads from Underworld were left over for the next game.. well until I read this at least. I definitely agree that everything (storywise) should be completely tied off before doing a reboot.

Yeah, from what I can remember... I don't think I ever got round to completing Chronicles. It certainly looks like Cd are just re-writing it again.

Lavilian

Post by Lavilian » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 pm

Some more details. It's starting to remind me of Resident Evil 4 for some reason.

We already knew the game takes place on an island once a young and inexperienced Lara Croft becomes shipwrecked on it. And as GI's story confirms, this new Tomb Raider will indeed be an "open world" game, with Lara theoretically able to travel anywhere on the island that she pleases. Crystal Dynamics studio head Darrell Gallagher evidently compared it to previous Tomb Raider titles as removing the "smoke and mirrors," as there's no longer an "illusion of freedom" and gamers can reportedly choose any path they want to get to their goal. However, it also sounds like this Tomb Raider is taking on a little of the "Metroidvania" game design structure, as Lara's skills and equipment will also upgrade throughout the game, allowing her to access more and more areas of the island.

Beyond the open-world nature of the game, the GI story also confirms a number of tidbits: Lara is 21 when the game takes place; they're using performance capture for the animation; lock-on targeting has been eschewed in favor of a free aiming system; there will be base camps on the island where you can upgrade Lara's skills and equipment, as well as use to fast-travel around the island; and Lara will evidently need to gather food and water to survive.

And lastly, and perhaps most shockingly, some of the enemies and hazards of the island where mentioned, including some of the gruesome ways that Lara can die. One is described as being stabbed in the chest by a "deranged" knife-wielding man (confirming there are indeed other humans on the island...), and another is having a boulder land on Lara's leg to trap her, followed by another boulder landing on and crushing her head. Sheesh...is that a blood-splattered M-rating we see in Tomb Raider's future?

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Been a long time TR fan, I hope they're successful in pulling off a great game :D

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Very much looking forward to this.

And, on a pedantic note, if it's a reboot then it doesn't really matter what has happened before, dies it? Lara could have been taught her skills by 15ft Gorillas out in Cambodia when she was 3 years old, for all the difference it'll make. :|

I know Reboots end up more or less rewriting basic lore from the ground up, as opposed to trying to awkwardly ret-conn it into existing Lore, but sometimes it comes off brilliantly (Batman Begins) or potentially god-awful (Mark Wahlberg as The Crow? :? )

Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Really looking forward to this too. Tomb Raider: Legend, Anniversary and Underworld were all great games IMHO. I'll definitely be picking this up at some point. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

JD!

Post by JD! » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:34 pm

I came to Tomb Raider fairly late with my first game being Legend. I've enjoyed the games I've played (still need to get Guardian of Light) so I'm always looking forward to a new installment. This sounds like it could be really cool, so I hope CD don't stuff it up. I'll be following the development of this closely.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:03 pm

It looks great, I always buy tomb raider games early on, despite the fact they end up below a tenner in no time. Not sure why they need to go back to the beginning (again) but survival horror elements sound good to me.