Tomb Raider Reboot Revealed

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lavilian

Tomb Raider Reboot Revealed

Post by Lavilian » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:20 pm

A brand new Tomb Raider is in the works, and by 'brand new,' that doesn't mean your standard sequel. Developer Crystal Dynamics is going to the earlier stages of Lara Croft's life, when she was young and inexperienced, to tell the story of her first adventure. The new game will drop the subtitles and go only with the name Tomb Raider.

"Forget everything you knew about Tomb Raider, we are exploring things that have never been done before in this game," said Crystal Dynamics head Darrell Gallagher. "This is an origins story that creates Lara Croft and takes her on a character defining journey like no other."

A reboot or origins story of some sort has been rumored since last summer when a survey surfaced that was looking to gauge interest in such a thing. Last month, an anonymous source claimed that a new Tomb Raider was being worked on for release next Christmas. And then in last month's issue of Game Informer, a two-page teaser for the January issue showed a shipwreck and the phrase "A Survivor is Born," which seemed to fit with what last year's survey alluded to about Lara trying to survive on a mysterious island.

Square Enix's press release sets up the story: "After a brutal storm destroys the boat she was travelling on, a frightened young woman is left washed ashore on an unknown beach. On her own but not alone she has only one goal, to survive."

Game Informer's forthcoming January issue, which goes on sale at newsstands on December 11, will have the full reveal on the game. For now, we at least have the first image of what Lara will look like in Tomb Raider. We should know much more as subscribers get the magazine in the coming days.

Lavilian

Re: Tomb Raider Reboot Revealed

Post by Lavilian » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 pm

Some other details and what not were leaked last month as well. It sounds pretty ambitious and fun.

When a sudden storm destroys her research vessel, a young and inexperienced Lara Croft finds herself stranded on a mysterious and remote island hidden off the shores of Japan. Despite several signs of various inhabitants the island is oddly deserted, and an uneasy feeling settles in as strange sounds emerge from the shadows. With only her determination, inner strength, and resourcefulness to help her, Lara must overcome the challenges of a harsh and unforgiving journey that will take her across a vast island wilderness and deep into the claustrophobic and menacing underground tombs from the island's past. As she struggles to prevail through brutal combat encounters and treacherous exploration, Lara will be pushed to her limits and forced to adapt to her situation in order to survive and escape from the lethal predators that stalk her every move.

* Hunt or Be Hunted: Evade, outsmart, trick and kill the mysterious enemies that hunt you as prey.

* Survival Action: Brutally attack and defend yourself as you fight to survive through visceral one-on-one melee combat.

* Strategic Weapons: Gain an advantage in combat by finding an array of different melee and ranged weapons including a variety of guns, and the hunter's ultimate weapon, the bow.

* Creative Survival: React and adapt to the island by using only that which you can salvage from the environment like climbing axes, rope, and machetes that can be used to unlock new traversal and combat gameplay options.

* Free Movement: Scramble up a vertical cliff wall, sprint and leap across a huge chasm, steer mid-air to land a misdirected jump: There is no one right way to traverse, survive, and explore the harsh environment of the island.

* One Cohesive World: The diverse multi-region island is an open playground alive with creatures, weather, and natural events.

* Origin Story: The new Tomb Raider concept reboots the franchise by exploring Lara Croft's transformation into a hardened adventurer as you unravel the story behind the island's mysterious past.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Potential is there, Crystal Dynamics very good developer, but they`ll have to go some to match Uncharted, espically as expecting a showing of No.3 anytime soon.Hopefully the competition will create some creative ideas from both sides, rather than 1 'borrow' ideas from other.What ever happens, lets hope we don`t see another Angel Of Darkness incident..... :wink:

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:59 pm

If this is done right (as in, it actually lives up to what it claims to do) then this could be very exciting!

I've always disliked Tomb Raider, this sounds more like Lost In Blue mixed with Mirror's Edge.

Bermondsey Bob

Post by Bermondsey Bob » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:03 pm

I've been a Tomb Raider fan since the first one on the Sega Saturn (it was a revelation in it's time). What I want to see is a follow on from Legend as they finished that story on a cliff hanger (no pun intended) and have never followed it up! Can we finish that story before re-booting the franchise yet again?

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:16 pm

I want...really, REALLY want! :D

This sounds fabulous, and it'll be interesting to have some of the back story filled in.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

andyc

Post by andyc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:17 pm

They did a good job on the last few, so as long as they avoid an Angel of Darkness type change of direction it could be really good. Fingers crossed.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:45 pm

I even quite enjoyed Angel of Darkness so there is no way i'm gonna dislike this.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:14 pm

Bermondsey Bob wrote:I've been a Tomb Raider fan since the first one on the Sega Saturn (it was a revelation in it's time). What I want to see is a follow on from Legend as they finished that story on a cliff hanger (no pun intended) and have never followed it up! Can we finish that story before re-booting the franchise yet again?
You not played Underworld? Underworld plus its dlc's pretty much tie off all the loose ends from Legend.

First thought when I read reboot/origin story was another Dev caught the Dmc bug. But, having read it through it certainly sounds as if Cd are aiming to evolve the franchise, lets hope they can deliver.

With an origin reboot in mind... Cd I would love a this gen Soul Reaver game.......pretty please...lol

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:24 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the official backstory was that Lara learnt her survival skills after a plane crash prior to the first game. Are they trying to re-write over that completely with this boat/desert island thing?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Tbh with the ammount of crap Tomb Raider's released recently it needs a good reboot.

Imo, a reboot needs to be a proper reboot (like the recent Devil May Cry one that was unveiled) as opposed to the same story, settings and characters with slightly better graphics & a new voice cast

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Megamixer wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the official backstory was that Lara learnt her survival skills after a plane crash prior to the first game. Are they trying to re-write over that completely with this boat/desert island thing?

The Croft chronology here mate...

http://tombraiders.net/stella/timeline.html
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:18 pm

Rayne wrote:Tbh with the ammount of crap Tomb Raider's released recently it needs a good reboot.

Imo, a reboot needs to be a proper reboot (like the recent Devil May Cry one that was unveiled) as opposed to the same story, settings and characters with slightly better graphics & a new voice cast
I think Tomb Raider needs a Sonic Cycle type thing

>Big words about new game
> Promises that its going to be better than it was and that its going to be back to as it was
>Turns out censored again
>Fan rage

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Megamixer wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the official backstory was that Lara learnt her survival skills after a plane crash prior to the first game. Are they trying to re-write over that completely with this boat/desert island thing?
:wink: Bungie re-wrote some of Halo`s mythos for Reach..so if they did, they would`nt be the 1st.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Raziel wrote:.

With an origin reboot in mind... Cd I would love a this gen Soul Reaver game.......pretty please...lol
New Soul Reaver game running on this gen.Hardware? Sooo needed. (Just don`t turn it into a DMC clone this time C.D, ta.).Work WAS started on a 6th game, 'Legacy Of Kain:The Dark Prophecy' (Xbox/PS2), but canned after only 3 months.Plot would have had Kain returning to ruined Nosgoth of the future (where Soul Reaver is set) to do the final battle with the Elder god.