Should I get these SNES games? I'm a retro newb

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Winters111

Should I get these SNES games? I'm a retro newb

Post by Winters111 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:11 am

Hi everyone,
I'm going to get an SNES this week and I obviously need games. I've done some research and have a list of a few games that I'm likely to get.
Here's the list:
- Super Mario World
- Super Castlevania IV
- Super Metroid
- Zelda: A Link to the Past
- Contra III
- Mega Man X
- Secret of Mana (very expensive though...)
It's not in any particular order. Super Mario World's a definite because it's only about £10. The others all tend to be £20+ so I would buy maybe 3 of them.
What do you think? Any comments would be great and ideally, list the top 3 from that list, or any others that you think are worth it.
BTW, I'm not keen on fighting, sports or racing games. I might get some further down the line but not now.

Antiriad2097

Re: Should I get these SNES games? I'm a retro newb

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:18 am

Download the games and try them first. Then you'll know if they're to your taste and worth shelling out for.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:23 am

Greetings

All good choices, may I also suggest Shadowrun an absolutely superb Blade Runner esque adventure(might be pricy tho), both Pocky and Rocky's are worth tracking down if you can find them. I still have lots of fun with Turtles Tournament Fighters, the Super Star Wars titles are also worth getting.
Flashback is another great title, Super Ghouls and Ghosts the list is endless tbh. On another note and to help you off with your collection I have a loose pal copy of Super Star Wars if your interested, just send me a couple of quid to cover p&p and it's yours.

pm me if you want it :D
"Time fades even legend..."

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:19 am

I`d add to your list:Choplifter 3. Mr Do! and Alien 3. Also Plok! for the amazing Tim Follin music.Snes=Great system to collect for.Happy hunting.

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:58 am

I'd add Batman, super Star Wars (best type of its game on the SNES), Super Mario World All Stars (for the kids), and Top Gear.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:05 am

Oh, forgot to mention - if Mario games are to your taste then you really should pick up the Mario All Stars cart. Its a very nice compilation with perhaps the bes versions of the included games. Should be easy to find as it was a pack in with the system, though finding a boxed one could be harder. Personally, I don't mind loose carts for the SNES as those cardboard boxes really don't keep well.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

n-g-m

Post by n-g-m » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:08 am

Don't forget Super Mario Kart.

I think you now have a good list of the best games from each genre :)

dste

Post by dste » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:18 am

Definitely all of the games from the original post and though I'll be repeating some of them I would recommend the following:
Alien 3
Aladdin
Donkey Kong Country Trilogy
Pilotwings
Starwing
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Punch-Out
Super R-Type
Super Star Wars Trilogy
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV:Turtles in Time
The legend of the Mystical Ninja
Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster Busts Loose
Zombies Ate My Neighbours

You mentioned about no liking fighting, sports or racing games but I really would recommend the following:
F-Zero
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
Mortal Kombat II
Rock N' Roll Racing
Street Racer
Super Mario Kart
Super Street Fighter II
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:19 am

n-g-m wrote:Don't forget Super Mario Kart.

I think you now have a good list of the best games from each genre :)
Well Winters111 has said they're not keen on racers, but you're right SMK is far too good to ignore.

Winters111

Post by Winters111 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:30 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. Please don't hesistate to recommend racing and fighting games, I'll get them at some point probably!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:35 am

Of the games you've listed, I like Super Metroid the best. Really compulsive stuff, it has had me playing until the wee hours of the morning. Only frustrating bit that I can remember is the wall jumping, which is a bit harder to time that it could've been.

SNES games don't come cheaply, for sure. I tend not to bother with boxed copies myself, as they haven't worn well over the years. Don't think any of the few boxed carts I own are in particularly good condition.

Super Aleste is one of the better value games around. It's also not too difficult so even if you're not the best at shoot-'em-ups you can enjoy it, and when I got hold of my copy I think it only cost me a fiver or so. Axelay doesn't cost all that much either I don't think. It's slightly divisive in terms of peoples' opinions of it, but I think it's really good and is uniquely conceived with the SNES's hardware in mind (for better or worse ...!) R-Type III is more expensive than Super R-Type but again better conceived for the hardware, and not as difficult.

Cybernator can also be picked up cheaply, although I must admit still haven't really got very far with it. Actraiser and Skyblazer are also really good and neither cost me more than a tenner I don't think. Hagane and Demon's Crest are a bit more expensive, but are well-presented and highly playable.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:47 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:Skyblazer
Soul Blazer is better, imo.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:06 am

I've never played Soul Blazer. Since it didn't come out in the UK I'm not likely to try it any time soon. Might give it a look via emulation though.

Still, Skyblazer's a different kind of game, despite the similar sounding titles - a platform game and quite a devious one at that. The tower sections in particular take some doing ... :)
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:08 am

I did enjoy Skyblazer but never got round to finishing it; I got caught up in Terranigma if memory serves.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:13 am

i'd also vouch for:

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island....possibly one of the best looking games on the SNES
Super Turrican.... a fab run and gunner
Super Off Road...a racer, but don't dismiss it out of hand, it's seriously good fun! Plays from an overhead view, so all the track is visible onscreen.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)