Retro Gaming Beginner - NEED HELP!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

c0nfu53d

Re: Retro Gaming Beginner - NEED HELP!

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:02 pm

The SNES I have seems to be missing the video lead thing but it never had a scart and I know I have some coaxal cables (or whatever they are called ) laying around somewhere. And maybe a couple of games although I sald most on ebay a while back.
thevulture wrote:emulation all the way for myself.
Me too having one console is ok but when you want to play multible consoles ie SNES Megadrive, PS1, SMS, NES things can get very cluttered and those damn leads just look a mess. Emulation is a neat convienent way to have everything in one box.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:16 pm

Very true on the various leads etc being a mess-Plus having to retune tv`s in etc. With emulation, i`m rather pampered.Get to play Snes stuff on the move via PSP or on big telly via Xbox.Plus being able to save progress anywhere, godsend for myself.Have a quick blast before/after work etc.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:37 pm

It's a lot easier with 16 bit consoles as they have scart sockets. I just have a switchable box so no changing connectors

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Negative Creep wrote:It's a lot easier with 16 bit consoles as they have scart sockets. I just have a switchable box so no changing connectors
Scart sockets? Most came with RF leads but there are lots of suppliers that can provide RGB scart stuff.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:38 pm

I say start with the SNES... for one thing, far easier to find a working console, and no blinking problem heh...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:26 am

SNES stuff is definitely cheaper and easier to find (remember the Master System completely mullered the NES in Europe), and the games stand up a lot better to modern scrutiny.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:40 am

:D My Snes plus 3X RF leads and what looks like a composite? (only 4 pin) Scart lead+1 pad off to Winters11 tommorrow morning.May it give many more a happy hours gaming.

oldskoolgamer101

Post by oldskoolgamer101 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:42 am

The gripe I've had with collecting for cartridge based consoles is that when the save batteries die it's a bit of an inconvenience to get them replaced. If that weren't an issue, I'd prefer cartridges over discs.

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:00 pm

I'd say go for a NES, cos its great to play some of those early classic titles like Mario Bros, Metroid, Zelda etc cos you can still feel the influence of them on modern games.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:36 pm

If you feel you can appreciate it then start with the NES. It's a fantastic system that is host to some really decent and quite deep 2D gameplay experiences. I remember a time back in the late 90's when I only owned a NES and had a great time buying and playing games for it. It's also a great way to get introduced to the many Nintendo franchises. Also pop along to Lorfarius recently opened NES site NES-BIT and you are all set to go!

There's a huge catalogue and once you get right into it, the graphics no longer seem poor, you can really appreciate it as if it were a current gen system.

I recommend this route simply because when you do get around to buying the SNES it will blow your socks off. That amazing feeling of freedom and power the console gave is second to none and is most certainly a feeling every retro gamer should experience.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:30 pm

:wink: Guys:he need`nt worry about buying a Snes, just sent him MINE today for free (He`s very kindly sending me something random to cover P+P)..No games though, just Pad,Leads inc Scart. So maybe it`d be worth recommending the games he should try 1st? Just my humble suggestion.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:20 pm

Starwing, F-Zero, Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. If he isn't worried about the box or instructions they can all be picked up fairly cheaply

Winters111

Post by Winters111 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:29 pm

I have an SNES now, games are arriving tomorrow, for the first batch I ordered Castlevania IV because I really like the look of it, Alien 3 because it's been recommended often and wasn't one that I really knew about (and cheap!) and Super Mario World, they seem like a good mix. Got more in the pipeline for Christmas (Super Metroid, Secret of Mana etc.), gonna try and offload some of the more expensive games to others :)

I've read on a couple of posts that I should get the NES first to appreciate the leap to the SNES but the number of recommendations for SNES far outweighed those for NES. And I got a free SNES :) . I imagine that many people didn't get the Atari 2600 before the NES for example, and the leap was probably larger between those two than NES to SNES (I don't know tbh :)) Anyway, I'm sure I'll end up buying an NES soon and, though it probably won't be quite the same, I'll still be able to appreciate the leap between the consoles. It'll also be the first time I played the original games in extremely popular series, so that's a bonus :)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:11 pm

I'm sure i have a spare Starwing cart floating round somewhere, you can have.

pm me your address and i'll pop it in the post. :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:33 pm

I'd highly recommend 'Zelda - A Link to the Past' if by any chance you're partial to an adventure/RPG now and then...I was absolutely hooked right from the off. I'd also second 'Donkey Kong Country' as another brilliant SNES title.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.