Retro Gaming Beginner - NEED HELP!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Winters111

Retro Gaming Beginner - NEED HELP!

Post by Winters111 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new to retro gaming, I have never bought a retro console but I'd like to start now. I'd like to get an NES or an SNES because I'd like a 2D Nintendo console. Which should I get? I'm leaning towards the NES simply because it was first of the Nintendos so I can start from the beginning.

SirClive

Re: Retro Gaming Beginner - NEED HELP!

Post by SirClive » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:22 pm

Yeah, go with the NES. You will appreciate the advancement if you go through them chronologically.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:29 pm

I'd go withe the SNES as it has some truly groundbreaking games. Also consider a SEGA saturn at some piont in the future too as that has some classic 2D games. I never dug the NES, it had Mario 3 but even then the SNES had a better version - I trully can't think of any reccomended Nes games but the snes has many Lufia 2, Super Mario World, Super Ghouls N Ghosts, Super Metroid, F Zero, Castlevania and so so many more and they look and sound better too.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:41 pm

I'd say SNES as well. Dare I say it but if you're used to playing modern games then the NES may seem a bit "simplistic" in comparison. Then again I'm biased as the SNES was the one that I grew up with

Raziel

Post by Raziel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:47 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:Also consider a SEGA saturn at some piont in the future too as that has some classic 2D games.
Seconded.. Saturn and the Dreamcast being two of my favourite all time consoles.

The old Amiga 500 maybe worth a look as well at some point. I appreciate its not a console but it has an absolute wealth of top notch games.

Winters111

Post by Winters111 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:59 pm

Thanks for all your quick replies.
Negative Creep - What do you mean by simplicity? Surely all retro consoles are simplistic when compared to modern consoles?

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:01 pm

Why not get a Megadrive? It has Bio Hazrd Battle, and that is all you need.

Forgetting my fanboy opinion above, go with a SNES. They're fantastic and some truly incredible games even by todays standard. Especially the Konami titles.
Winters111 wrote:Thanks for all your quick replies.
Negative Creep - What do you mean by simplicity? Surely all retro consoles are simplistic when compared to modern consoles?
No, there are some retro games that still have more too them than nearly all of todays modern games. I'm yet to find myself more enthralled by a game like I was way back witht he PlayStation One.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:09 pm

Maybe "overly simplistic" would be better. SNES games in general will keep your intrest longer than NES games.

Plus you can get a NES adapter for the SNES (if I rememer correctly) but if you get a NES your stuck with it.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:12 pm

Compared to a 360 or PS3 any older console will seem simplistic. However, and this is of course just my opinion, the extra power of the SNES can give an added layer to the gameplay. For example, mode 7 allowed the likes of F-Zero and Mario Kart which would not have been possible on the NES. Whilst you could argue the platformers or shoot em ups as just as good on either system, when it comes to racing or beat em ups I don't think there's a comparison

Winters111

Post by Winters111 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm more in favour of the SNES now. The one thing stopping me from choosing the SNES is that it would be nice to start from the beginning with the NES. For £60 I can get both but then there's the games.. Got more thinking to do :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:20 pm

Go for a SNES, and welcome to the forum!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:27 pm

PS1 is classed as a retro console, yet it`s the only place i can play something like Colony Wars 1+2 as nothing on later machines came close to matching it.Also i`d much rather have PS1 Xcom, than (going by inital previews) the reboot FPS Xcom game on 360.Quite often the 'keep it simple' rule works in a games favour.Anywho, i`m banging on.Welcome to the forum. (Oh and yep, get a Snes wonderous machine).

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:28 pm

Buy an NES and a flash cart. Done.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Winters111 wrote:I'm more in favour of the SNES now. The one thing stopping me from choosing the SNES is that it would be nice to start from the beginning with the NES. For £60 I can get both but then there's the games.. Got more thinking to do :)
Well I have a spare snes you can have - you'll need to pay the postage and it hasn't been used in years but it worked last I looked it's boxed but I need to check that it has controllers and leads etc. I'll let you know when I've had a look im sure I still have it under my bed...

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:49 pm

^^^^^ Should the very kind offer above fall through (I.E it has no leads) PM me-I have a Console, all leads, pad.No box or games, not used for year or so.Your more than welcome to it-emulation all the way for myself.